• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is going on here?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Two unknown hoses coming from the firewall attached to nothing, a unknown small gray hose loose, and a unknown knob attached to the A/C system. Gotta love previous owners getting creative, lol.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Those cut hoses are the heater rad and it is either not needed where you are are or it sprung a leak and that is the easiest fix...remove the hoses and route the coolant back into the engine. I've done that a few times...got me home.

The small one in your hand probably goes into the blower controls and makes the vacuum controls work to redirect the air or close off the system. There is usually a round ball that is connected in there. The ball is a check valve that maintains vacuum so the engine doesn't die. The end you are holding comes from the firewall so it is essentially a non issue. The other end if left open creates a vacuum leak so check that and plug it up if open.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Two unknown hoses coming from the firewall attached to nothing, a unknown small gray hose loose, and a unknown knob attached to the A/C system. Gotta love previous owners getting creative, lol.
That one in your hand goes to the heater control valve.
https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2015/10/03/18/57/pic-2963326900238610180-1600x1200.jpeg
Click on the link there is a picture of it.
The control valve stops the water from flowing until heat is selected in the cab.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The heater core (looks like a miniature radiator) is inside the cab behind the glove box. Those two pieces of hose coming from the firewall are clamped onto the metal inlet and outlet pipes of the heater core.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I can tell you if the heater core is not hooked up and it has rust inside of it it was most likely leaking water into the floorboard and that would be the reason why it was bypassed. if it is leaking bad enough you could run some water through it with a water hose and if it is bad plan on moving the dash far enough back to get to the bolts. going to take around 3 hours to do it

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That one in your hand goes to the heater control valve.
https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2015/10/03/18/57/pic-2963326900238610180-1600x1200.jpeg
Click on the link there is a picture of it.
The control valve stops the water from flowing until heat is selected in the cab.
Oh, good catch...my 1996 didn't have that valve for some reason...maybe the previous owner removed it or it simply wasn't part of the setup with no AC.

Not sure what year Ford started doing this, but the 1996 had to remove the dash to change the heater rad. Up to 1992 it was a fairly easy part to change from inside the cab...but dropping the dash is easy enough...only 5 bolts and the steering wheel detached is all that it needs...and maybe a helper because they are a bit awkward.

But from what I recall, you live in Costa Rica...which probably means you may never actually need a heater...:dunno:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, good catch...my 1996 didn't have that valve for some reason...maybe the previous owner removed it or it simply wasn't part of the setup with no AC.

Not sure what year Ford started doing this, but the 1996 had to remove the dash to change the heater rad. Up to 1992 it was a fairly easy part to change from inside the cab...but dropping the dash is easy enough...only 5 bolts and the steering wheel detached is all that it needs...and maybe a helper because they are a bit awkward.

But from what I recall, you live in Costa Rica...which probably means you may never actually need a heater...:dunno:
Yep, no heater needed, but is it needed for the windshield de-mist?, I do need that one when it rains.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes. Heat is needed for the defroster to work properly in colder weather.

If the AC works you can get away with it, if it isn't cold out. Dry hot air is the best thing for clearing fogged glass. Dry cold air is next best. Then just hot air.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The control is likely a cutout switch for the compressor clutch. You can adjust the temperature that the compressor is disabled to prevent freeze-up of the evaporator.
It is a guess that the switch is connected to the compressor clutch, and is an 'add on' item. I don't think most had that control from the factory.
If there is a tube connected to the switch that leads back into the evaporator core, it would tend to confirm that someone added a 'cold control'(the same as used in a refrigerator) to help keep the system from freezing. A 'bulb' is attached to or close to the evap to sense temp. When the evap gets to 32F or freezing, or just above, the 'cold control' would open up, and de-activate the compressor clutch. Ingenious use of local parts to take the place of factory, always made of unobtainium when you are a few thousand miles from the factory with little local manufacturer support.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals