• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What do you take to the Pull Yard?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I substitute a roll of paper towels for the rags, and include a small bottle of hand cleaner.
I also have a big Gulp cup in the one tool box, so if I'm pulling a cover off something, I can still be environmentally friendly and not pour oil/antifreeze on ground (I might be laying there next trip). I have an old towel in the truck to put on the seat if I accidently lie in something...
I have went to the Milwaukee Packout system with locks on the boxes after someone decided they needed my 3/8" impact (and it had the good 18v battery too) more than I did while I was pulling parts under the truck. If they're taking the whole Packout, I'd notice.
I've loaned the occasional tool and always got them back.
And even helped an S-10 owner pull a rear axle - my 1/2" impact versus his arm strong was appreciated.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's like having a band of minions.. minions you don't need to talk to.. or smell.. or worry about usurping you and stealing your wenches.. OR your wrenches.
I knew someone was going to say that. :LOL:

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Lots of you should count your blessings. Out here LKQ bought most of the old salvage yards and closed them to the public, no more pick and pull. One old yard in particular in Chesapeake specialized in Fords and had saved my bacon a number of times on past Fords I owned. Now it's LKQ too. Discovered this when I went there to look at the Ranger selection...

The company has some pick and pull yards, but in other states, not near me.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Lots of you should count your blessings. Out here LKQ bought most of the old salvage yards and closed them to the public, no more pick and pull. One old yard in particular in Chesapeake specialized in Fords and had saved my bacon a number of times on past Fords I owned. Now it's LKQ too. Discovered this when I went there to look at the Ranger selection...

The company has some pick and pull yards, but in other states, not near me.
But, But, but the yards I go to are LKQ.

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I take tools I know I need, so if I’m getting an alternator, I take that stuff, but I know what is needed before I go. However, I’ll also take a few common socket sizes, and some near the size required just in case I get there and they are not the correct bolts on it. Mostly 3/8” stuff, but usually have a big 1/2" ratchet and a two piece 3 foot jack handle if I need leverage. Of course screwdrivers just in case, always vice grips and an adjustable wrench, maybe some pliers, needle nose, channel locks etc. Vice grips might be slow and slip off, but in a pinch can help (I've lent vice grips a few times to people that didn't bring any and didn't have the right tool). I’m sure I’m leaving stuff out, but my bag usually feels pretty heavy after walking around for a while. If I'm going to look at any interior stuff while I'm there, I'll take tools that might be handy in the event I see anything I want. So, I usually have the tools I need for the parts I went for, but not always for the random stuff I see and want.

I personally hate people asking to borrow tools while I'm there, which seems to happen every time I go. A guy asked to borrow my jack handle, and I got to watch his brand new breaker bar break as he tried to remove a hub nut. He was bummed. :LOL: I've never not lent a tool, hell, last time a guy needed to use my vice grips and I ended up helping him pull a hood, but it's rather annoying, and I would never borrow someones tools, but that's me. Been a few times I needed a longer screwdriver or something and couldn't get an interior part I wanted, but just seems wrong to ask someone to use their tools.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Tonight's girlfriend? You'll need at least a 12 pk.
Nope, just my big stick. When it needs to come free or break with ratcheting action. Someday I’ll actually buy a 3/4” set, I don’t have any other than that big bar with a reducer to 1/2”

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals