• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I know you don’t have a basement… there’s no house on your property, only Rangers.
4 sheds, one 2-stall horse barn, 14’ box truck, one “garage”, 5 piles covered with tarps, plus what’s stored in vehicles and on friend’s property…

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
I always buy WAY more stuff than I need and think “I’ll just return whatever I don’t use”. I never return anything, pile up too much crap, and use something from the last project on the new project… so it works out perfect.
Hey! Looks like I’m not the only one who does that! gazes at bin of spare hardware and parts

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Hey! Looks like I’m not the only one who does that! gazes at bin of spare hardware and parts
I do it too...

But when the next job comes up... I forget I have or can't find the spares.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Spent the day with a friend working on his R/C truck. We needed fuel and fuel line and radio crystals so that was one trip to the Hobby shop. Come to find out the radio died so that was another trip to the hobby shop. Then the new receiver and old servo connections were different so we went to the hobby shop again but this time we brought the truck with us so that was another trip to the hobby shop. While there we able to test the servos and 2 of them were seized up so that saved us another trip. Now to order the pull cord conversion set up to get rid of the stupid easy start system that really doesn't work well.

No joy of getting it running due to the easy start system not being able to crank long enough before the battery dies but we have a plan on that. My shock socks came in so I'll be installing them some time soon on my truck. While at the hobby shop I picked up some CA+ glue to glue the aluminum tip ring back on to my shifter ball in the Beer Fetcher and a R/C work stand for my Summit. Now I can spin it around and lock it into place so I don't have to keep flipping it around or walking around it.

EDIT: just talked to my friend and he got his running today.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Spent the day with a friend working on his R/C truck. We needed fuel and fuel line and radio crystals so that was one trip to the Hobby shop. Come to find out the radio died so that was another trip to the hobby shop. Then the new receiver and old servo connections were different so we went to the hobby shop again but this time we brought the truck with us so that was another trip to the hobby shop. While there we able to test the servos and 2 of them were seized up so that saved us another trip. Now to order the pull cord conversion set up to get rid of the stupid easy start system that really doesn't work well.

No joy of getting it running due to the easy start system not being able to crank long enough before the battery dies but we have a plan on that. My shock socks came in so I'll be installing them some time soon on my truck. While at the hobby shop I picked up some CA+ glue to glue the aluminum tip ring back on to my shifter ball in the Beer Fetcher and a R/C work stand for my Summit. Now I can spin it around and lock it into place so I don't have to keep flipping it around or walking around it.

EDIT: just talked to my friend and he got his running today.
Crystals?!?! Step 1 should have been to replace the radio.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Traded trucks... No, I still own all of them. Drove the F-100 over to parents house, leaving it there to do some work in the coming weeks. Finally getting the V8 Ranger home for a little while. Hopefully the driveshaft CV joint lasts longer than a week this time.

Ripped about six CDs to FLAC so and put them on a nano USB drive so I have something to listen to while driving around in the Ranger other than hip-hop, Mexican polka music, and rants about culture war nonsense. Now I want to drive around so I can listen to music.
How does FLAC compare to MP3? I need to go through and make sure all of mine are ripped and organized properly. I did it to MP3 in the past but that was a few hard drives ago and metadata is all off. Might be easier to start over.at this point.

I was ok with CDs but everything is going mechless now. Only broadcast station worth listening to is classic rock, and during my morning commute it is all talk. Other than that it's all what you described, but replace polka with gospel. I've gladly paid for Sirius in my car since I bought it to have better options, but getting tired.of.paying that bill, plus soon to replace radio in car and that will delete the Sirius tuner.

I’m pretty confident that I could build a running vehicle from the parts I have sitting around.
I feel you on that. If we include the 85 Ranger (its not running) I think I could build two, and a drivetrain for a third. Only one shed, but a house with no SO and no visitors to clean up for can hols a bunch of parts.

Yeah, got me wondering how old that RC truck is. Easy start sounds newer, but using a crystal radio sounds old.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Yeah, got me wondering how old that RC truck is. Easy start sounds newer, but using a crystal radio sounds old.
The R/C truck was purchased used and is an early model of the Traxxas T-Maxx with the 2.5 non R engine along with 2-speed trans w/ reverse but still had the TQ3 system in it. When he got it it had two different frequency crystals so the receiver and the radio would not communicate. No way to tell if there was an issue without having the same crystals. If my ex-wife wouldn't of sold all my stuff on me I would of had extra sets of crystals. Trying to do it on the cheap meant put crystals in it to see if radio and receiver actually worked. At $106 for the cheapest 3 channel transceiver and receiver we opted for crystals as a start being they were around $20.

I went with him to get it and we were told that his son had it running and suddenly it would no longer steer. He also mentioned that he had another one that was still running good. I would love to see the sellers face when he realized he handed out the wrong radio and now his other one will no longer work.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How does FLAC compare to MP3? I need to go through and make sure all of mine are ripped and organized properly. I did it to MP3 in the past but that was a few hard drives ago and metadata is all off. Might be easier to start over.at this point.

I was ok with CDs but everything is going mechless now. Only broadcast station worth listening to is classic rock, and during my morning commute it is all talk. Other than that it's all what you described, but replace polka with gospel. I've gladly paid for Sirius in my car since I bought it to have better options, but getting tired.of.paying that bill, plus soon to replace radio in car and that will delete the Sirius tuner.
FLAC is lossless. If you listen to an MP3 with low bitrate you can notice the audio is missing clarity and dynamic range. If you go to a higher bitrate much of that goes away. You don't hear any of that with FLAC and the stereo separation appears to be better with FLAC. A 320kbps MP3 is said to have very little noticeable difference when comparing to FLAC, but I think that depends on what you are listening to. Most music recorded now lacks dynamic range because they compress it to sound louder. You probably aren't going to notice a difference if this is the case. However, if you have old Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd CDs that haven't been "remastered," you will notice a slight difference. I would rip them to FLAC. The only disadvantage is the file sizes are larger, but large disks are cheap and a 64Gb can store over 2,000 songs ripped in FLAC.

Broadcast radio is really bad. We have the religious stuff here too. They grab up most of the LPFM licenses, so you year them between the main stations.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The R/C truck was purchased used and is an early model of the Traxxas T-Maxx with the 2.5 non R engine along with 2-speed trans w/ reverse but still had the TQ3 system in it.
I'll be honest, that's Greek to me, but I do recognize the model. My first/last/only RC that was more than a cheap toy store model, was bigger and newer. 1/5 scale King Motor Baja with a 30-32 cc 2 stroke. For the size it was fast enough without two speeds, but reverse would have been nice. I think if I ever decide to pull it back out, it'll be getting converted to electric and reverse added.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
FLAC is lossless. If you listen to an MP3 with low bitrate you can notice the audio is missing clarity and dynamic range. If you go to a higher bitrate much of that goes away. You don't hear any of that with FLAC and the stereo separation appears to be better with FLAC. A 320kbps MP3 is said to have very little noticeable difference when comparing to FLAC, but I think that depends on what you are listening to. Most music recorded now lacks dynamic range because they compress it to sound louder. You probably aren't going to notice a difference if this is the case. However, if you have old Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd CDs that haven't been "remastered," you will notice a slight difference. I would rip them to FLAC. The only disadvantage is the file sizes are larger, but large disks are cheap and a 64Gb can store over 2,000 songs ripped in FLAC.

Broadcast radio is really bad. We have the religious stuff here too. They grab up most of the LPFM licenses, so you year them between the main stations.
I'll have to give it a try then. Storage isn't an issue, I have no problem buying and adding storage. At some point I want to set up a home media server so most of it will be stored there and not my main PC anyway. For portability, as you said, thumb drives are cheap.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Built a new drip pan for the propane grill, old one completely disintegrated over the winter.

When I went to put it on I found that two of the gas tubes were in similar condition, one of the flow control knobs is completely seized, and all of the non stainless sections are starting to get rust holes in them. Probably will not survive being moved.

So I cooked some chicken legs on the working half and looked at new gas grills online.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good brand of propane grill?
The Webber’s look pretty solid, but I don’t really want to pay $1000 for the 4 burner.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Built a new drip pan for the propane grill, old one completely disintegrated over the winter.

When I went to put it on I found that two of the gas tubes were in similar condition, one of the flow control knobs is completely seized, and all of the non stainless sections are starting to get rust holes in them. Probably will not survive being moved.

So I cooked some chicken legs on the working half and looked at new gas grills online.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good brand of propane grill?
The Webber’s look pretty solid, but I don’t really want to pay $1000 for the 4 burner.
Not really sure what to recommend. I got some new outdoor cooking gear recently but I like being mobile with the stuff and scored some deals. Got a portable 2-burner Coleman grill that works alright (and it was only like $80 at a clearance store brand new) and a new Coleman 2-burner camp stove at the same place for like $30. Then I picked up a 2-burner flat top from Sam’s Club for $100. The flat top has been a game changer. I’m still learning it, but you can cook almost anything on it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I left the propane grill world years ago. So, I have no Idea what to recommend. It's lump charcoal at home and unless it's raining, I usually cook over the camp fire when camping.

Propane is quicker and easier but the smell and taste of cooking over burning wood is so much better.

Danny74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Don't wait till it's broken to fix things
Day of rest for me. Watched Create TV channel mostly. Been watchin Star Trek now, on H&I channel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals