• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Wheels come off and get stored in the barn well away from sunlight and anything electrical. Garage is not a good place for tires with all the welders and compressor and grinders, etc going almost every day.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Fluid Film time!

Got some of it done before dealing with tree leaves.
I have that on my list. I have two gallons of the stuff sitting on the garage floor. I've only used rattle cans before. So, I'm hoping one can is good for one vehicle being that I have two trucks to spray.

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
After another weekend of offroading, I decided to check on my front hub seals to see if they are keeping water out. I opened the driver side and a couple ounces of water poured out! I soaked all the bearings in gasoline and repacked them. Some new hub o-rings hopefully will solve my problem.

I have some neat clips this time since I went with a friend. I'll have to find a way to host them.

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
I was getting the grind/noise of death when loading in a left turn. That meant time for a new hub.

Old Bearing.jpg
New Bearing.jpg

Old hub was so bad that I had to grip several lugs with my fist to turn it. The front end on these is remarkably simple to tear down once you have done it. The hardest part is getting the stupid plastic keeper off the CV axle stub in the hub.

While replacing, I discovered the boot to my upper ball joint had worn through.

Ball Joint.jpg

I bought a Detroit Axle front-end kit two years ago when I bought the truck. It was a great deal, but the boots keep wearing out. I've now replaced almost everything that kit came with. I'm usually willing to try something once. It was worth it at the time to get the truck up to operating standards, but short lived.

Once that was buttoned up, it was on to modifying the supercharger snout to fit the new pulley I got from the machine shop. I had to grind down the stabilizing fins to accommodate the smaller ID of the new pulley.

Grind.jpg

The new pulley fit perfectly and works great!

Pulley.jpg

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
I'd love to read a writeup on the supercharging adventure. Sticking one on my OHV is something that crosses my mind too much. I'm not too concerned about making one fit since I have buddies with water jets and TIG machines. I would like to know about fueling and where/when the weak points cause problems.

Manscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.5x15

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Oh wise ones…..

A general question for a project I’m thinking about. I’m thinking of building a trailer that would have some electronic gizmos on it. My question is about charging a battery that would be on the trailer.

Specifically, I think I heard one time that if you simply tie the trailer battery positive into the trailer light circuit, the running lights, that when the lights are on it will charge the battery. Is that true?

I know the traditional way to charge it from the vehicle is to use a seven blade connector, where one of the blades is power from the battery or alternator to the trailer battery. My question is if I could do it with the running light circuit.

All comments welcome…

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Oh wise ones…..

A general question for a project I’m thinking about. I’m thinking of building a trailer that would have some electronic gizmos on it. My question is about charging a battery that would be on the trailer.

Specifically, I think I heard one time that if you simply tie the trailer battery positive into the trailer light circuit, the running lights, that when the lights are on it will charge the battery. Is that true?

I know the traditional way to charge it from the vehicle is to use a seven blade connector, where one of the blades is power from the battery or alternator to the trailer battery. My question is if I could do it with the running light circuit.

All comments welcome…
I would discourage that. Your running light circuit is only designed for a certain amount of load. Charging a battery could exceed that and blow the fuse. Then you have no lights. Much better and safer to run a separate fused power supply from the trucks battery.

Many vehicles with trailer towing package don't even run trailer lights directly from the vehicle light circuits (running lights, brake/turn, reverse). They use the vehicle circuits to trigger relays to activate the trailer lights on their own fused circuits.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Oh wise ones…..

All comments welcome…
I run 7-blade plugs on everything I own and tow with. Here in the rust belt, those flat 4-pin plugs like to rot. The 7-blade plugs have a spring loaded cover and last a LOT longer around here. Plus it gives me options. My trailers are all intended to have backup lights and I’d like to fit electric brakes on everything. Right now the little trailer is wired for backup lights and I believe I ran a wire for brakes, but neither is done yet. The big trailer has brakes but no backup lights. The boat trailer has neither yet. And brakes on the tow dolly would be nice.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I run 7-blade plugs on everything I own and tow with. Here in the rust belt, those flat 4-pin plugs like to rot. The 7-blade plugs have a spring loaded cover and last a LOT longer around here. Plus it gives me options. My trailers are all intended to have backup lights and I’d like to fit electric brakes on everything. Right now the little trailer is wired for backup lights and I believe I ran a wire for brakes, but neither is done yet. The big trailer has brakes but no backup lights. The boat trailer has neither yet. And brakes on the tow dolly would be nice.
Ditto, that’s what I’ve done with my trailers.

Here’s why I asked. I used the seven blade on The Road Ranger and on The Road Ranger trailer. The “official“ wiring diagram calls for one pin to be the 12 V auxiliary. That 97 ranger has the amber turn signals and red brake lights, so I used that auxiliary to run a brake light circuit so I could still have Amber turn signals on the trailer. Now I have a vision on two different projects where I would need a battery on the trailer itself. I guess I need an eighth blade….

If I don’t hear a better idea, right now, I am shifting to making that blade the 12 V auxiliary again, and running the brake light through the “official“ ground terminal, and then running a separate single ground wire and connector. I’m thinking that would be the least critical since you also have ground through the hitch. And like you, I would like the same wiring on all my trucks and trailers so they’re all interchangeable.

What amazes me a little bit is that the cost of the seven blade connectors and sockets have come down so far they only cost a dollar more than the old four pin connectors!

But again, I’m wide open to suggestions.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2002 4WD Ranger XLT extended cab: Had the right front fender replaced. This had been my Dad's Nebraska truck when brother and I purchased this for him. The truck had belonged to the Missouri state highway department for the first 45,000 miles. I got it with about 111,000 miles on the odometer.

I had to have the left front fender replaced a few years back. A side swipe and run at the Home Depot parking lot. This is Colorado so no surprise there.

Somewhere along the line, a rust hole developed in the lower rear corner of this right front fender. Clearly the fender had been patched but was rusting out again. My good body man felt, as did I, that it was better to replace the fender.

The replacement fender was about $350. The work total with labor and paint ran to $1233. I consider that to be maybe two new truck monthly payments and well worth the cost.

Can't just let a fine truck like this rust away!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ditto, that’s what I’ve done with my trailers.

Here’s why I asked. I used the seven blade on The Road Ranger and on The Road Ranger trailer. The “official“ wiring diagram calls for one pin to be the 12 V auxiliary. That 97 ranger has the amber turn signals and red brake lights, so I used that auxiliary to run a brake light circuit so I could still have Amber turn signals on the trailer. Now I have a vision on two different projects where I would need a battery on the trailer itself. I guess I need an eighth blade….

If I don’t hear a better idea, right now, I am shifting to making that blade the 12 V auxiliary again, and running the brake light through the “official“ ground terminal, and then running a separate single ground wire and connector. I’m thinking that would be the least critical since you also have ground through the hitch. And like you, I would like the same wiring on all my trucks and trailers so they’re all interchangeable.

What amazes me a little bit is that the cost of the seven blade connectors and sockets have come down so far they only cost a dollar more than the old four pin connectors!

But again, I’m wide open to suggestions.
What about having a second plug like a round 4-pin for any non-normal wiring? I had originally thought of wiring my truck and trailers off of the normal scheme so that people couldn’t just plug in and take my trailer, but any wiring changes I make on the truck side, I’d have to either make and carry an adapter harness or never tow anything but my stuff. So I’d rather have the truck side wired correctly and do any changes to the trailer or a separate plug. I’ve actually considered running a backup camera through a separate plug onto the trailer and mount a camera on the back of the trailer.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Packed the 2011 for AOAA. I'm just waiting on the Garmin to update and I'll be on my way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals