• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Attempted to swap my black climate controls for a silver one I grabbed from a junkyard a few weeks ago. Turns out they have different wiring harness so I tore the truck apart for nothing
Makes you crazy, huh? It’s a Ford thing.

I have pristine 87 and 88 Lincoln town cars. All the big stuff is totally interchangeable from 85 to 89. But you can’t buy any of the little stuff like the controls for the last 20 years, so the salvage yard is the only source.

There’s a module that controls the windshield wipers. When mine went out, I got one from the salvage yard from the same year. No luck. I went back and got a couple more. No luck. Then I took the one from the 87 and put it into the 88 to try to figure out what was wrong, assuming it wasn’t the module. No luck.

I finally broke down and went to Ford/Lincoln, and found an old fart with gray hair like me, and he said it was very common practice to have different modules for those kinds of things even within the same year. The only way to get a correct replacement is from the part number stamped on the side, and not from the year make and model and accessories details.

I’m not trying to rub it in, just info for anyone else who’s about to do the same thing with something like one of those modules.

Hope it helps….

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
WHEEL HELP PLEASE:

TRS info says wheel bore ranges from 70.3-70.6 and wheelsize.com says the wheel bore for most rangers is 70.6mm.

My 14 inch steelies, and my 14 inch aluminum bullet holes (outlaw II) seem to both have a bore about 62mm plus or minus. Did I somehow come up with a bunch of different and oddball or off spec wheels? What gives?

When I put the 3,500# trailer tag axle on The Road Ranger, it had a 5 x 4.5 wheel pattern, and my aftermarket 15 x 8” bullet holes slid right on. But they were aftermarket.

I have a scavenged/salvage 3500 pound axle with a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern that I want to use for The Missing Linc matching trailer. I’m at the point in the fab where I dropped the axle over the springs to figure out how much I had to cut out of the center. On a whim, I tried to mount a bullet hole wheel on the hub, and it wouldn’t fit over the center bore. Then I got one of the steelies that I bought specifically for this project, and it won’t slide over the center bore either.

I measured the hub with my six dollar plastic Chinese micrometer, and it measures 65.7mm. I knew the wheels were all supposed to be 70+. Making me crazy.

The mic won’t fit inside the wheel rim. I cut a wedge of scrap diamond plate that I could slide inside the center bore of the wheel. I buffed the edges on the belt sander, so when I wedged it inside the wheel and wiggled it, it would leave witness marks, and I could measure where it was touching inside. It came out to about 62mm plus or minus.

The steelies don’t have a round center bore. There’s a round hole, and then it’s stamped with five flat spots to corresponds to the lug bolts, so you can’t measure it exactly from side to side with my wedge, but it appears to be the same 62+/-.

Am I nuts? Wait scratch that. I know that. What’s going on with this center bore stuff?

BTW, I have a half a dozen 5 x 4.5 hubs for 2000 pound axles, and they will all easily slide into the wheels. But it’s the wheels that seems to be off spec from the literature.

???????!!
The 14” wheels only came on the 2wd which had a smaller hub than the 4wd.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

off to Metallica...
Day one in the OG ranger....."UN4GVN". AKA. THEE PIG

I put this in the Killswitch thread.....
11849.jpeg

Day two.....off to Metallica again.....in the thing that identifies as a ranger..."DAMGINC"

KIMG0385.JPG

Damage Incorporated....living up to its name...

10770.jpeg

Treasure.......hunting these beach balls down like smeagol.....made for some adventure......

precious meme 146b68a6286b480c825419818265.jpg

11913.jpeg

KIMG0388.JPG

So these trusty steeds got er did......

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
The 14” wheels only came on the 2wd which had a smaller hub than the 4wd.
Sooo, do all the 15 inch wheels have the 70+ or minus borehole?

BTW, wheel-size.com shows all wheels (14 or 15) to have 70.6

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Sooo, do all the 15 inch wheels have the 70+ or minus borehole?

BTW, wheel-size.com shows all wheels (14 or 15) to have 70.6
afterthought, I don’t want to hog out the hole on the wheels because then I would need a custom wheel every time for this trailer. I emailed etrailer.com to see if they have a 3500 pound hub that has a smaller center bore.

I hate when I buy cheap junk and it turns out to be cheap junk

01WHTRNGR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Makes you crazy, huh? It’s a Ford thing.

I have pristine 87 and 88 Lincoln town cars. All the big stuff is totally interchangeable from 85 to 89. But you can’t buy any of the little stuff like the controls for the last 20 years, so the salvage yard is the only source.

There’s a module that controls the windshield wipers. When mine went out, I got one from the salvage yard from the same year. No luck. I went back and got a couple more. No luck. Then I took the one from the 87 and put it into the 88 to try to figure out what was wrong, assuming it wasn’t the module. No luck.

I finally broke down and went to Ford/Lincoln, and found an old fart with gray hair like me, and he said it was very common practice to have different modules for those kinds of things even within the same year. The only way to get a correct replacement is from the part number stamped on the side, and not from the year make and model and accessories details.

I’m not trying to rub it in, just info for anyone else who’s about to do the same thing with something like one of those modules.

Hope it helps….
Oh yeah, made me pretty upset. There’s 0 reason for the wiring to be different and I don’t care enough to splice wiring to make it work

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
my wheels are moe biggah. you need moe biggah wheelzzez

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
my wheels are moe biggah. you need moe biggah wheelzzez
The problem with that is it falls into that whole ridiculous “spend money” area

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
afterthought, I don’t want to hog out the hole on the wheels because then I would need a custom wheel every time for this trailer. I emailed etrailer.com to see if they have a 3500 pound hub that has a smaller center bore.

I hate when I buy cheap junk and it turns out to be cheap junk
Congrats and kudos to Jameson C* at etrailer.com (a/k/a rocket responder dude) who got back to me in less than 2 hours at 9:37PM last night regarding 5x4.5 3500# hubs that will take a 14” Ranger wheel. Bad news. There ain’t no such animal.

*Jameson C & etrailer.com has revived my faith in customer service (except they couldn’t help me with my cheap pipe dreams).

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Congrats and kudos to Jameson C* at etrailer.com (a/k/a rocket responder dude) who got back to me in less than 2 hours at 9:37PM last night regarding 5x4.5 3500# hubs that will take a 14” Ranger wheel. Bad news. There ain’t no such animal.

*Jameson C & etrailer.com has revived my faith in customer service (except they couldn’t help me with my cheap pipe dreams).
I took a snapshot of that and sent it back to Jamison and gave him a good write up and wished him and etrailer.com Happy Holidays.

Soooo, like I said, I don’t want to modify the wheels because then all I’ll be able to use is a modified wheel. The wheel bore on the hub is 2.59 inches, and the center bore of the 14” Ranger wheels is about 2.44inches. I figure it’s a lot more likely that I might swap the wheels for something else then I’ll ever have to swap a hub out, even if I have to replace a bearing at some point.

Sooo, right now I’m thinking of knocking the lug bolts out, leaving it on the axle, and spinning it with an angle grinder at an angle and basically shaving off that much of the circumference until the wheels slide on. The only other option is to go to a 2000 pound axle w/1” spindles. I think that would look a little pathetic underneath the 88 truck bed.

Okay, step up, save me from myself. After all, it’s all y’alls’ fault anyway for publishing that all the wheels are 70.6 mm. (like I ever really thought about that until I ran into this)

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
@ericbphoto

since you have nothing to do, and a lot of free time…

I’m not one to complain without making a proposal for a solution. Well, OK, that’s not exactly true, but I just sent you an email with a proposed edit for the website regarding wheel size:

Proposed TRS website edit

1983-2011 Ford Ranger Wheel Fitment Guide

In the first section, “quick info,” it states:

“Center Bore listed for the Ranger ranges from 70.3 to 70.5 depending on the wheel manufacturer and chart you find.”

Can I suggest that gets modified/edited to:

“Center Bore (CB) listed for 15” Ranger (and both 14” and 15” 4WD) wheels ranges from 70.3 to 70.6mm depending on the wheel manufacturer and chart you find. 2WD 14” wheels have a smaller center bore of approximately 62mm/2.44”. If you’re considering putting Ranger wheels on a trailer axle, all 4WD wheels should fit both 3,500# (65.7mm / 2.59” CB hub) axles and 2,000# (59.9mm / 2.35” CB hub) axles. 2WD 14” wheels will only fit on a 2,000# axle.”

(Note 70.5 to 70.6 change from wheel-size.com)

Hope it helps.

I sent the email so it might be easier to cut and paste.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I took a snapshot of that and sent it back to Jamison and gave him a good write up and wished him and etrailer.com Happy Holidays.

Soooo, like I said, I don’t want to modify the wheels because then all I’ll be able to use is a modified wheel. The wheel bore on the hub is 2.59 inches, and the center bore of the 14” Ranger wheels is about 2.44inches. I figure it’s a lot more likely that I might swap the wheels for something else then I’ll ever have to swap a hub out, even if I have to replace a bearing at some point.

Sooo, right now I’m thinking of knocking the lug bolts out, leaving it on the axle, and spinning it with an angle grinder at an angle and basically shaving off that much of the circumference until the wheels slide on. The only other option is to go to a 2000 pound axle w/1” spindles. I think that would look a little pathetic underneath the 88 truck bed.

Okay, step up, save me from myself. After all, it’s all y’alls’ fault anyway for publishing that all the wheels are 70.6 mm. (like I ever really thought about that until I ran into this)
I'm no expert with this but logic seems to say that if you grind the hubs down it will weaken them so that it cant hold the 3000+ lb that it could in stock form. So this scares me a little.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
I'm no expert with this but logic seems to say that if you grind the hubs down it will weaken them so that it cant hold the 3000+ lb that it could in stock form. So this scares me a little.
Scared? Then I’m doing my job!

You’re correct, but this trailer will never have anything near the load capacity of the axle. I just think the 2000 pound axle is too flimsy and anemic looking.

More technically, the wall thickness on the hub is something like 3/16” or 4.75mm. I would be removing about 1mm or less from each side. Remember the wheel is held to the hub by the friction between the wheel and the hub face, held tight by the lug bolts and nuts. The wheel does not ride on the center bore. The center shaft of the hub only aligns the wheel in the center. I can’t believe a reduction of about 20% would put the integrity of the housing around wheel bearings at risk. Also, considering the thing it’s probably over designed by several hundred percent to start with…..

But my disclaimer, whoever you are out there, don’t ever do what I do, mine is all for fun and parades, not serious heavy duty work….

But keep the comments coming in…

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
@ericbphoto

since you have nothing to do, and a lot of free time…

I’m not one to complain without making a proposal for a solution. Well, OK, that’s not exactly true, but I just sent you an email with a proposed edit for the website regarding wheel size:

Proposed TRS website edit

1983-2011 Ford Ranger Wheel Fitment Guide

In the first section, “quick info,” it states:

“Center Bore listed for the Ranger ranges from 70.3 to 70.5 depending on the wheel manufacturer and chart you find.”

Can I suggest that gets modified/edited to:

“Center Bore (CB) listed for 15” Ranger (and both 14” and 15” 4WD) wheels ranges from 70.3 to 70.6mm depending on the wheel manufacturer and chart you find. 2WD 14” wheels have a smaller center bore of approximately 62mm/2.44”. If you’re considering putting Ranger wheels on a trailer axle, all 4WD wheels should fit both 3,500# (65.7mm / 2.59” CB hub) axles and 2,000# (59.9mm / 2.35” CB hub) axles. 2WD 14” wheels will only fit on a 2,000# axle.”

(Note 70.5 to 70.6 change from wheel-size.com)

Hope it helps.

I sent the email so it might be easier to cut and paste.
Us moderators don’t have the ability the do things like that. I’m not even sure the Admins can. That is probably a @Jim Oaks thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals