• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Drove it to Best Buy after work to look at routers and didn't buy anything because the off the shelf plug and play consumer networking hardware is junk.
I'm going to find and salvage a used mini-PC and install PFsense or some other router software and add a switch.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Beat it like it owed me money, yesterday. Got it stuck for the second time, since I installed a rear bumper and a tow hitch. That sucker has screwed me too many times! I’m gonna build a new rear bumper with a tow hitch built in. That should give me like 4-6” more ground clearance. And a better departure angle.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Got the oil changed and tires rotated.
The inspection said I needed a break job with a price of $550! 😲 Being skeptical, I checked them myself. Yeah. I do need new pads and wait! The passenger side shock absorber is wet. How did they not notice the leak,? Gotta get some new shocks . There's also a gap at one of the linkages. (Top) I don't think that's normal.

Looks like I'm ordering some parts.

Oh, and I sanded all the rust and flaking paint off the roof and primed it and painted one coat of metallic krylon. (No. It doesn't match. Looks like a trip to get some cans of touch-up)

spanky50

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4" rough country
Tire Size
32" cooper STT
right now mine is under major work the 4.0 is on the stand and the new trans i got is the wrong on. the parts store sent one that only has 2 sensor on it and mine has 3. not sure what do now they are looking but i might have to find someone to rebuild it.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hope they get you the right one.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Just checked and there's no fuel coming out of the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator so either the voltage limit for the clear flood mode isn't being met (still haven't put in a zip tie, maybe tonight) or my injectors are screwed, at over 190k I wouldn't blame the injectors for having an issue... looking into fuel injectors I found THESE on amazon, they're supposedly the right motorcraft part number but not sure without any reviews at all, cheap though...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Should have worked on the F-150 today, it’s overdue for an oil change and it’s apparently leaking fuel somewhere. Maybe tomorrow. But I really wanted to work on the green Ranger so that’s what I did. Knocked all the rust I could off the passenger knuckle, cleaned up the hole for the axleshaft and put a new seal in, then put it all back together minus the pinch bolt for the upper control arm and the brakes. So now both sides are prepped finally and I just have to figure out where the pinch bolts wandered off to. Then I knocked out the old U-joint in the Explorer front driveshaft and prepped it for a new joint before running out of daylight.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Put two zip ties on the throttle cable on the '97 to see if the TPS would go up at WOT, it didn't, still at 93.3% on Torque, so I guess it'll feel different driving tomorrow... I guess I'll look at fuel injectors, not sure if I'll gamble on the $60 cheapies, $120 on rebuilt or $240ish on new... There's an injector place around here but I think the price is around $40 each to clean and fix so not really worth it unless they're fancy injectors...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nice job on the video other than the audio volume.
I might have to get the external microphone for them. I’m still learning about the editing software, l might be able to help it some. Can’t remember if I maxed out the cameras mic sensitivity before or after I recorded that though. New cameras and I did the editing between my phone and tablet, so everything is new to me, the last time I did any video editing and video was using my phone to record or an old digital camera and did the editing on my desktop. I have three of the Drift Ghost XL cams now and I’m still figuring them out.

Wanted to do the video even if I didn’t have the bugs worked out because I’m not sure there’s really any information out on the new wheel seal design (I’m not even sure when it changed because I’ve done the old style before a couple times and it matches the tech archives). I sure didn’t know what I was doing other than a search indicated it was the correct part even though entirely different from what I was used to. Figured it out on the drivers side, then shot the video on the passenger side so it looked like I knew what I was doing, lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Did some work on the green Ranger, didn’t get real far, but the front driveshaft is in now, pinch bolts are in the upper ball joints on both sides since I didn’t know where I left the bolts when I did the wheel seals. Most of the oil is in (I’m waiting until I get the power steering lines worked out before putting the new filter on) and a couple little things. Oh, and the a/c pump appears to be seized, unfortunately.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
did you just put a PVH vacuum seal on a live hub CV?
No idea, I didn’t even think about that, I searched for a 2000 Ranger which would (should) be live axle. Would there be a problem with what I did if so? I even searched on Tasca and it came back with the same part #, so I figured it had to be a new design or something…

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I finished the woodwork inside my pickup. The bed floor had rust issues when I first got it. I removed it and media blasted the bottom and repainted it. Rather than welding repair panels in the weak spots, I put in an oak floor and tool box. Today I finally finished it with latticed sides.
improved pickup bed.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals