• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I will actually tell my friends they can come over and I'll help them with this or that. I live too far away from most, so normally if there is a problem they don't want to drive and hour and an half. The only time they come see me is when their cars work. :)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
$400 storage fee
Now there's a thought! To be honest, my friends suffer from lack of funding. I find them most willing to return the favor. I am most certainly not a mechanic, but more often than not, these same guys come to my rescue whenever i'm lost.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don’t mind people that help me back, it’s the ones that act like a friend until they need to do something for you.

Like my mechanic buddy in town. I met him when I was dating one of his sisters and he needed a light put up outside his garage and I needed a fuel pump done. Both of us have lost track of who’s done more for the other, but he’s pulled my fat out of the fire a good few times and I know I’ve helped him a lot. Think that’s the way it really should work I think.

When I met my buddy Paul, he had a friend that hung around the garage a lot. He rarely actually helped with anything but he was all for getting stuff done for himself with free help. We let it go but when about 8 cans disappeared out of a case of 12, everything got locked up. We couldn’t say for certain, but both myself and Paul knew we didn’t use that many and nobody asked to have any. Once everything got locked up suddenly he didn’t want to be around us, especially because we wouldn’t give him a key, but both me and Paul had one. Stuff stopped going missing… again, no physical proof for sure that it wasn’t someone else, but he was the most likely culprit. Had a couple other “friends” like that stick me in the back over the years. Not literally, but pretty close. I’m done with that.

image.jpg

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Now there's a thought! To be honest, my friends suffer from lack of funding. I find them most willing to return the favor. I am most certainly not a mechanic, but more often than not, these same guys come to my rescue whenever i'm lost.
I'm tired of people complaining about $7 beers, $10 parking and a $20 cover charge. Don't like the prices, stop coming to my house

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t mind people that help me back, it’s the ones that act like a friend until they need to do something for you.

I've got a few people that I'm close with and that's it. Nobody keeps a tab on anything.

I lent the one guy my truck indefinitely (turned out to be a year), and he let me borrow his Fancy Milwaukee weed Wacker ( the ones with all the detachable heads) Indefinitely.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
People generally don't ask me to help them with their vehicles. Maybe because I usually require them to bring the vehicle to me where my tools are instead of me lugging my tools to the vehicle.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
People generally don't ask me to help them with their vehicles. Maybe because I usually require them to bring the vehicle to me where my tools are instead of me lugging my tools to the vehicle.
So, you don't make housecalls?

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm tired of people complaining about $7 beers, $10 parking and a $20 cover charge. Don't like the prices, stop coming to my house
How much is the dump fee?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So, you don't make housecalls?
Very rarely. I have gone to help others in the past but generally those who have their own tools and are just looking for an extra set of hands. Family members are also an exception, if asked but I'm less willing to go as far on someone else's vehicles than mine. Partly for liability and partly because, even in my driveway, if things go sideways, it's not going to go well. Friends and family can potentially be a bigger problem than if say a professional shop ends up with the same problem.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I helped my buddy, adesanyo, before christmas. I let him use the ranger when his bmw broke down.

Since most people have a hard time understanding him, he always calls me on holidays and stuff so he also always calls when his car acts weird. He knows i used to autocross bmws too

His accent messes people up down here since he is from Nigeria

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I got the core support fitted in the Ranger and got all the holes for bolts done. I was going to try and get fancy and fit it with clips and weld nuts and I’m not sure I really have the patience for that right now. I can reach everywhere with a nut and bolt, wrench or socket and I’m calling that good enough. May or may not come back out, if I don’t have to take it back out getting a couple things sorted now that I have a reference point in the front, then I just have to finish putting bolts in (need to order another pack anyway). Once I’m sure it’s in for good, I should have pretty much everything under the hood for now at that point that I’m sure it’s staying, then the front clip just needs bolted back together. Once the front is done, I’ll just have to get the rear axle done and I should be able to take it for exhaust and inspection.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals