• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Aternative Energy source do you think?

reno

Reaction score
And it supposedly happened here. But it was a case of Reno's problem -- not reasoning through the problem and making serious mistakes as a result. Try looking up "cold fusion."

Grad students don't often make revolutionary discoveries. And given that ARMIES of grad students have tried and failed for fusion power should be a clue that maybe it's not that easy.

It's fairly obvious what needs to be done for fusion to work -- the technical term is emittance reduction; essentially it means reducing the volume of a given sample and its temperature simultaneously. It's been tried left right and center. Don't hold your breath.

And even if it was to work, fusion power is not the clean limitless energy source hyped in the 50s. It is VERY dirty, potentially much worse than conventional fission, as D-T makes neutrons. Many, many, many neutrons.
You know, I'm no Einstein in physics or such, did not know that to be a qualification to ask a question. But I would beat your ass on the field. Let's go out and shoot a target the size of an average man, 1000 yards out and not with the cheating rifles they have now. Hell you could not carry that thing and stay secure with your Gilley suit and expect not be seen. Let's use a Browning 308 modified rifle. I ask what energy sources do you think will come out by the end of the year, a simple "None" would have done it you geek. And to think I served to help keep your freedom. I am sorry I did not have the same opportunities in life as you, when you are 14 and on your own, college pretty much goes out the window. I do not see anywhere in this post that require rational thinking,just what do you THINK? It is a thought. All your alternative energy ideas Makg, get shut down by your own self, so how are they the wave of the future? Something very,very,very dirty is better than what we have now? If you can't answer a question without a simple answer and have to go all scientific on us, then just don't bother. Sometimes you post just like a troll, are you the sites troll, seems every site needs one, kind of like every village needs an idiot, and they felt you to be below that trophy.

kaskirov

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've seen a couple of natural gas vehicles. they could work cause it is a renewable resource, but you need alot of space to store it so they have crappy range.

reno

Reaction score
It does not have to be real, just what you think will come to the market. Gas is high, people are staring to want more economy from their cars. If someone came out with a rubberband wound car and was able to show it to be safe and reliable and very economical, it would sell like hotcakes, Yes Makg, we all know this rubberband theory to be BS and a scam, it is a metaphor :idiot:.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Personally, I would like to see more electric vehicles on the road. Battery technology is always getting lighter, more energy efficient, and more energy dense. The problem with any "efficient" vehicle is that it can't look, feel, or smell like a current production car. For the everyday person, like myself, who only has to transport my own body to work and back on a regular basis, I would be perfectly happy with a small electric vehicle. Something low, lightweight, aerodynamic, and good looking...

You're never going to see solar powered vehicles in the mainstream. I know, I've built two. Your "energy source" is the PV cells on the top of the car. They are heavy, expensive, and fragile. That's 3 strikes against transporting them with you everyday. An electric vehilce charged off of a home PV system, I can see that happening, but an actual solar car? No.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
reno, if you want to go off into science fiction and masturbate about stuff that has no relation to reality, go right ahead. Just DO NOT claim it's reality and then attack people for bringing it down to earth.

And I really don't care how big your dick is. How well you can fire a weapon or where or why you served is UTTERLY IRRELEVANT to any discussion of "alternative" energy.

You claim you just want to understand stuff, and then you defend bullshit tooth and nail anyway. If you REALLY want to understand stuff, you START with skepticism. Or you will just get swamped with the BS and you'll never get anywhere. ALMOST ALL of it is BS; it's just scammers preying on people who desperately want these things to be true.

I've told you EXACTLY where your conceptual problem is. You're not following energy. I'd suggest you go there if you really do want to understand it. Quantitatively. It's critical for this sort of thing, and you simply don't have a prayer without it.

Last edited:

reno

Reaction score
But Makg, all I did is ask what "Alternative" energy do you think will come out this year. I never said anything about believing it, just what do you think will be the next thing come out? Seems everything is going electric. Do you think that Butanol,Algae and so on will be the next thing to raise its ugly head? You pounded the doubt in me on HHO, and i admit it took some doing, and I seen what you were talking about. I asked a general question, whether it be a scam or something real, What do you THINK will be the next Alternative energy source come out? I figure there will at least 2, yes they might be scams and then again a car manufacturer may come out with something. I know that Hydrogen fuel cell is old news and was used on the Apollo, but that was a space capsule, not a car, so to the general public it is new because it is used in a car for the first time and sold to the public.

When you come to my posts and blast me over and over and want me to be all scientific about things, well I will eventually lash out. I never claimed to know or understand anything, but I do give things a chance, you just never know. All I know in my life is what uncle sam taught me to do (which I actually hate\ to many nightmares with faces) and manual labor. I grew up with literally nothing, I am going to make sure my 2 sons will go to college and not have a life like me.

Now dickweed, re-read this post and tell me where I said a alternative is released and i believe in it. I read that I said think that 2 will be released by the end of the year. That is what I THINK. It is not just me, but a lot of people here you do this to. I always imagine this short fat man sitting at a dirty desk with Doritos and cokes laughing at the responses because you do post like a troll. Try to come down to earth a little, we are not beneath you, trust me on this. Anyone reading this that has been put down\bashed and so on, please post about, maybe he will wake up, or find a down to earth way to give a reply to simple f**ki*g question without requiring us to have a PHD in physics. You watch to much Star Trek dude.

Last edited:

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You asked for Alternative Energy sources. That implies something built off of sound scientific fact, not fiction. I couldn't care less about whatever scam is around the bend. They are not alternative energy sources, they are not grounded in reality, and the disappear as quickly as they show up. You should have asked "What cheap con will I latch onto next?". That seems the questions that aligns best with your posts.

I don't think anything "new" will be coming out this year. Anything "new" is going to take years and years of study, testing, and a concentrated effort to make it a viable energy source. A better question would be to ask "When will the giant switch be flipped to make this idea a mainstream energy source?" At which point, the technology itself is already old news.

reno

Reaction score
Alright so I am not the greatest at saying what I mean, but if you know basically what I am trying to say, then why would you just keep attacking and putting me down? I just made a general question on this, like in the General post area I asked whatcha doin tommrry? It is just a open ended question, and I never implied anything. If you felt there were 3 scams at best then fine say you think there will be 3 scams. I don't really see the fuss over a general question, it makes people not to even want to ask anymore and just stay in the General post section where it safe, until it starts there :fie:.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Reno,

Eventually you'll learn that proceeding the way you do displays INDUCTIVE logic

you choose a theory and then expect it to be disproven.

It's you like showing up with 5lb of hamburger than arguing when
someone tells you that it isn't possible to make fried chicken from it.

You flatly refuse to understand the fundemental difference between
"energy source" and "energy storage"

Hydrogen/Fuel-cells/Ammonia are all "Storage", like a rechargable battery.

Understand that you put more than twice as much energy into a rechargeable
battery as you can take back out of it.

Hydrogen isn't nearly that good, but it's considered "practical" because of how much energy can be stored in a given volume (and especially within a given mass)

But if you regarded a tank of Cryogenic LIQUID hydrogen against say... Gasoline
while Hydrogen has the highest energy per mass, a liter of cryogenic liquid hydrogen
only weighs 71grams.... so a liter of gasoline represents four times the energy.

And while gasoline will store indefinatly in a sealed container, Hydrogen boils at -420degF.

Another "rub" with hydrogen in an ICE is that Hydrogen burns with a very high flame temperature. burned with air (not simply oxygen) it will produce high amounts of NOx pollution.

Reality is a bitch.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I think we need to invest more in harnessing energy directly from the Sun. I don't care if it is algae, solar cells or any other way. Sun is our main indirect source of energy. Now we need to learn how to use it directly and not wait for eons to take advantage of it.

The Sun is an energy source today, we just have not learned how to use it effectively. This includes the generation of hydrogen from Solar energy for fuel cells . Norway is in the process of doing this right now.

There are many ways of using energy from the Sun. I have used Solar panels on my roof to provide me with hot water since 1980 and it still provides me with 100% of my hot water over 6 months of the year. That is just a start. We need more direct use of the Sun.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I think we need to invest more in harnessing energy directly from the Sun. I don't care if it is algae, solar cells or any other way. Sun is our main indirect source of energy. Now we need to learn how to use it directly and not wait for eons to take advantage of it.

The Sun is an energy source today, we just have not learned how to use it effectively. This includes the generation of hydrogen from Solar energy for fuel cells . Norway is in the process of doing this right now.

There are many ways of using energy from the Sun. I have used Solar panels on my roof to provide me with hot water since 1980 and it still provides me with 100% of my hot water over 6 months of the year. That is just a start. We need more direct use of the Sun.
Yeah, solar energy is a great idea but it does little for transportation.

Hydrogen from solar? Hydrogen is a great short range commuter fuel
and as cryogenic liquid a wonderful rocket fuel, but the effort required to make it usefully compact DESTROYS anything that resembles efficiency.

we need alternatives that take liquid form at room temperature.
STOREABLE fuels.

Hydrogen even as compressed gas isn't storeable because it literally leaks through every known material.

the only thing that makes Hydrogen Fuel cells attractive is
the fact that by WEIGHT they can store more electricity
than lead acid, metal hydride or Lithium Ion batteries.

Compared to ANY liquid fuel the total energy density is very low.

Think of that group 65 battery under the hood of most rangers or Explorers and consider just how little stored energy that 30kilo block of lead... or other types of batteries.... represents.
Lead Acid Batteries only store 30-40Watt hours/kilo
NiCd 40-60Wh/Kg
NiMh 30-80Wh/G
Li Ion batteries store 160-200Wh/Kg
(that's 2.2lbs of weight to store 1/6-1/5 of a kilowatt hour)
Li Ion Polymer about the same, but somewhat more durable

I used the energy/Kg figuires, not the Power/Kg figuires because the power can be "flexible" depending on how rapidly the energy is drawn off.

Hydrogen Fuel Cells are limited only by their Hydrogen supply but
that is actually self-limiting because of volume considerations.

If fuel cells are the answer I really want someone to tell me what the question was....

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals