• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What about the 3.0ltr. motor ?

cougar190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1 1990,2 1994's
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Hey folks, long time Ranger owner here. We (wife and myself) own 4 total, LOL ! I'm looking to add another 1 that's a 4 wheel drive. Other details aside I've noticed a few with the 3.0 ltr. motor within my price range. We've had all the other motors 2.3, 2.9, 4.0(reg) now a 4.0 SOHC. Having not had any experience with the 3.0 I thought I'ld ask you folks! What is the scoop on this motor and the tranny's that are attached ? Dependability, power, educate me, LOL. ...cougar

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
very dependable, very reliable.

not overly powerful. some might say that it will bog down pulling a full tank of gas...and it is called the 3 point slow for a reason :)

the auto transmission is pretty much the same as any auto transmission for the ranger of that year..

but with the right gears and knowing what the power band is ?when to shift you can do well with it.

AJ

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ford built millions of them. Standard engine in the Taurus for about, well, all most forever. Not a truck engine, so it doesn't have much low end torque, so works best with an auto trans where it will spin up.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Very dependable, not a lot of power, will perform best with a manual trans IMO. Manual transmissions rob less power than an automatic which is very necessary with a 3.0. A few basic mods with help with the power and mileage.

Keep the RPM's up and they perform decently, try to drive it like a V8 and you'll be disappointed. Mine uses about 1/2 quart of oil every 5k miles, just turned 200k miles and averages well over 20mpg.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 3.0 is a very reliable engine. After that one single point it sucks. All the gas mileage of a 4.0 and all the power of a 2.3. I have talked to very few people with 4x4 Rangers that were happy with the 3.0.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I test drove one early last year with the manual transmission...didn't really get to wind it up and blow it out but from what I saw it was barely more power than my 2.3...

My friend is selling one with the 3.0 with manual transmission and I discovered that her cable was stretched...I offered to fix it but she was in a hurry to leave and that might have given her back the access to full power...

So...check that the cable on the pedal has no play in it when you drive it...see if that makes a difference with a few zip ties...

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad's 2002 3.0L had to get the heads replaced twice in 8 years. Never really knew why and didn't cost him anything as they were under warranty. It was a nice truck and didn't have any problem other than that.

CaliNickXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt Ex. Cab
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 4x4 with the 3.0 and its not to bad. Yes there could be more power but its not all that bad if you actually drive it. If your shifting at 2k and driving miss dasiy around yeah its gutless. but if your motor doesnt have any issues and your shifting around 3-4k its not to bad of a motor. Id rather have a 3.0 like my current truck than my time bomb of a motor in my old 98 Exploder with the SOHC 4.0

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not a truck engine, so it doesn't have much low end torque, so works best with an auto trans where it will spin up.
I've found just the opposite to be true for me. It felt sluggish and underpowered with the auto trans. Swapping to the manual made it much more enjoyable to drive, made it easier to keep in the powerband, and returned better fuel economy. Manual is definitely the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals