• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what 35s or 36s is everyone running?

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
i am trying to find a tire for my truck but i cant narrow down what tire i want. i want to hear from you guys what you are running and what you think of them. i have been looking at some maxxis creepy crawlers or some interco m16 but i dont think any of these can be driven on the street. i was looking for a radial tire bc i will be driving 3+ hours to all the wheelin parks that are worth going to.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have Goodyear MT/R-Ks on mine currently (35x12.50R15). Before these I had BFG KM(1)s (same size).

Overall I've been happy with them. The tread is holding up much better than the BFG's tread did (severe chunking from rocks). I think the BFGs gave me about 1 MPG better mileage though, as it's down about that much over the last 1½ years and that's the only thing I can attribute it to, as nothing else has really changed.
The MT/Rs seem about 10 lbs heavier and have roughly an inch wider tread. Not sure, but maybe it's possible the kevlar belts have a higher rolling resistance also.

Offroad its pretty much a wash between the BFG and MTR, both tires grip pretty good, especially on rocks.
A buddy of mine has BFG KM2s. His tread is holding up better than mine did (running the same trails), maybe they fixed the chunking issue with the KM2. For some reason the KM2's appearance seems a little bland to me (sidewall in particular), I liked the looks of the KM(1) better.

LIL-FORD

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 ranger bod
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
36 super swamper iroks
best winter tire for the amazing canadian winters

93 4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have had really good luck with maxxis mudders 35x12x50x15s I'll probably going to get 50,000 miles out of them and they ride quiet on the road

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
35" KM2s. Unfortunatley the KM2s run small. The 35" MTR w/ Kevlar is well over an inch taller when both tires are brand new with 25 PSI in them.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
The Interco Superswampers work great as a road/off road tire.

Get the ones with the zig zagged center tread and keep them aired up on the road. The tire will ride on the center tread which is much better for road travel, then just air them down when off roading so they ride on the outer knob tread.

Good tires, Had a set of 34s on my 2wd for the longest time. Only complaint is the tires are far to stiff for the rear end of our trucks unloaded. I had a locked 7.5 in my 2wd and ran those tires at 1-2PSI and still couldnt get traction sometimes without weight to flatten the tread so they would ride on the side knobs vs the center road tread. But that was a 2wd :headbang:

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
as per interco's site

"The new Interco SS-M16 is a tire for all seasons. Several design features have been taken from our best performing all terrain and mud terrain tires. The SS-M16 is highway friendly and very quiet for a tire that has such good off road performance. It is an excellent tire that bridges the gap between the all-terrain and very aggressive off road tires and has a rugged design that will enhance the appearance of any vehicle"

but be warned they are really expensive

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
I have Goodyear MT/R-Ks on mine currently (35x12.50R15). Before these I had BFG KM(1)s (same size).

Overall I've been happy with them. The tread is holding up much better than the BFG's tread did (severe chunking from rocks). I think the BFGs gave me about 1 MPG better mileage though, as it's down about that much over the last 1½ years and that's the only thing I can attribute it to, as nothing else has really changed.
The MT/Rs seem about 10 lbs heavier and have roughly an inch wider tread. Not sure, but maybe it's possible the kevlar belts have a higher rolling resistance also.

Offroad its pretty much a wash between the BFG and MTR, both tires grip pretty good, especially on rocks.
A buddy of mine has BFG KM2s. His tread is holding up better than mine did (running the same trails), maybe they fixed the chunking issue with the KM2. For some reason the KM2's appearance seems a little bland to me (sidewall in particular), I liked the looks of the KM(1) better.

yeah i liked the look of the old km1 wayyyy better. i like super aggressive looking tires.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
have had really good luck with maxxis mudders 35x12x50x15s I'll probably going to get 50,000 miles out of them and they ride quiet on the road
these look way better in this pic than in the website pic.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
The Interco Superswampers work great as a road/off road tire.

Get the ones with the zig zagged center tread and keep them aired up on the road. The tire will ride on the center tread which is much better for road travel, then just air them down when off roading so they ride on the outer knob tread.

Good tires, Had a set of 34s on my 2wd for the longest time. Only complaint is the tires are far to stiff for the rear end of our trucks unloaded. I had a locked 7.5 in my 2wd and ran those tires at 1-2PSI and still couldnt get traction sometimes without weight to flatten the tread so they would ride on the side knobs vs the center road tread. But that was a 2wd :headbang:
i dont see those on interco's website. here is another question. the brand super swamper isnt that interco? bc i was looking on 4x4parts website just to see sizes and options and its all the same model of tires just doesnt say interco but says super swamper.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
as per interco's site

"The new Interco SS-M16 is a tire for all seasons. Several design features have been taken from our best performing all terrain and mud terrain tires. The SS-M16 is highway friendly and very quiet for a tire that has such good off road performance. It is an excellent tire that bridges the gap between the all-terrain and very aggressive off road tires and has a rugged design that will enhance the appearance of any vehicle"

but be warned they are really expensive
i am aware of the price. i dont care too much about price bc its not a daily driver anymore. but i needs to be able to drive 3 hours to the trail, wheel the trail, and drive home. i dont care too much about how loud they are. i like loud tires anyway. i just dont want a tire that will clunk apart before i get there. the tsl boggers are the only thing i am ruling out bc i would assume those would come apart before i got to the trail.

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
super swampers are interco's, people seem to forget that interco makes more than 1 tire and mention the "model"

maclgallant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
if you read the reviews from that link i posted, a lot of guy's who have the m16's have them mounted on Super duty trucks etc, 3/4 , 1 ton trucks, and no complaints, reviews seem quiet well, one guy says they use harder compound than your typical interco, hopefully that doesn't translate into a rougher ride

another option you have not mentionned is the Cooper discoverer st Maxxx, same idea as the m16

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals