• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird voltages read from ignition switch

Se7enth Sol

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all, I'm working on an engine swap in my 1990 B2. I just replaced the main power relay with an aftermarket one (cut off the old one and spliced in the new one). However, when I turn the key to "run" the relay closes its contacts as it should, but when I set the key to "off" and take out the key the relay does not go back, it stays active. I have to disconnect the battery to reset the relay. I have found that the red wire with a light green stripe going to the relay coil from the ignition switch has a steady 3.41V. So I'm guessing the 3.41V is not enough to trigger the coil but enough to keep the contacts closed after it has been switched.

My main question is, is the constant 3.41V on this circuit supposed to be there? Also, where could it be coming from? I'm kind of stumped here on my project until I get this relay to operate properly.

Also, Upon investigation into the ignition switch there are many different wires with odd voltages when the key is off. So if someone could shed some light whether these are proper voltage readings I would be much appreciative.

I've attached photos and diagrams below. Thanks again for your help!

my ignition switch wires.png
20240525_222912.jpg
20240525_222920.jpg
20240525_222924.jpg
20240525_223004.jpg

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is your relay sticking when the engine is running? If so, the stray voltage may be coming from the exciter wire to the alternator. You can unplug this wire and try it. It will not charge with this wire unplugged, but you can see if it is where the voltage is coming from.

If it turns out to be the problem, you need to separate the alternator wire from the ignition wire that feeds the relay coil. That is why the factory has so many sections to the original ignition switches. If you tie things together to one big switch, circuits tend to feedback. But if you have multiple contacts or poles on your switch, then when you turn the switch off the various circuits are now disconnected and can't feedback to one another.

Se7enth Sol

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is your relay sticking when the engine is running? If so, the stray voltage may be coming from the exciter wire to the alternator. You can unplug this wire and try it. It will not charge with this wire unplugged, but you can see if it is where the voltage is coming from.

If it turns out to be the problem, you need to separate the alternator wire from the ignition wire that feeds the relay coil. That is why the factory has so many sections to the original ignition switches. If you tie things together to one big switch, circuits tend to feedback. But if you have multiple contacts or poles on your switch, then when you turn the switch off the various circuits are now disconnected and can't feedback to one another.

Haven't had the first start up on my engine yet. Also, there is no alternator wired in yet so its curious where the low voltage comes from. What else could generate a voltage? Capacitor? small battery somewhere?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
A poor ground somewhere can cause it. Poor grounds cause all sorts of problems. The only way to logically find out what is causing it is to disconnect things one at a time till the voltage goes away. You can usually use the fuses for this, disconnecting parts of the electrical system till the voltage goes away.

Se7enth Sol

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A poor ground somewhere can cause it. Poor grounds cause all sorts of problems. The only way to logically find out what is causing it is to disconnect things one at a time till the voltage goes away. You can usually use the fuses for this, disconnecting parts of the electrical system till the voltage goes away.
Good idea. I'll see which fuses affect the voltages in the ignition. Was trying to trace the wires back but that was getting difficult.

Se7enth Sol

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

The 40A headlamp fuse is the one responsible for letting the 3.41V pass through. Not sure how the head lamps are tied to the main power relay.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ist thing to do, make sure you have your large ground hooked up from the battery negative to the engine block, and then make sure you have a smaller ground going from the back of the engine block to the firewall to ground the cab. This is an important ground that is frequently left off during a engine swap or replacement.

Se7enth Sol

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
make sure you have a smaller ground going from the back of the engine block to the firewall to ground the cab. This is an important ground that is frequently left off during a engine swap or replacement.
You hit the nail right on the head. While I didn't forget to wire this ground up, I cleaned up those contacts with a wire wheel and now my ignition works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals