• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

waterproofing the ranger!

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
after a year and 4 days i finally got my truck on the road again. i am going to build/buy a snorkel in the next couple weeks. still trying to decide if i want to try and do the arb snorkel or build one. the arb setup semis like the airflow would be horrible with all those bends. but anyway.....

what is the next issue the 3rd gen rangers run into with waterproof once you have a snorkel? idk what all i need to waterproof. i assume my coil might need something. i have a brand new one in there but anyone have any problems with misfires due to deep water crossings? i am talking like water over the hood deep lol

clifford97

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its easier and way cheaper to build your own snorkel. as far as waterproofing, any electronics you have in the cab (cb, subs, speakers, etc) you should take out or mount them higher. under hood anything electrical, all connectors should be sealed with electrical grease and shrink wrapped or taped, fuse and relay box must be sealed. find where your engine harness goes into the cab to the pcm make sure that gromet is sealed and then go in and waterproof that too. go underneath to your axles, find the breather tube coming off the tops, replace with a longer tube, take it as high as you can go, above where your water levels will be. or get a sealed breather. also your exhaust may need to be extended up either a stack or just have it come up higher on the vehicle. (you will be happy if you stall underwater) it will also allow you to continue having power through long swims. mostly what it takes, keep looking to protect anything electric or anything that doesn't like water if you have a PCV breather filter in place of the intake tube, get rid of it and put the tube back on. there's a good starting point. good luck, PICS OF HOW IT COMES OUT!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I would put an electric fan if it doesn't have one already...and a toggle switch...door seals should be inspected and replaced as needed...and ensure there are no holes in the cab...if you go that deep...

I wouldn't go to water over the hood myself...just seems like asking for hydro lock...so inspect the exhaust and intake for leaks...unless you're planning on mixing in some sea foam with the water and do a nice carbon cleaning...

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
i figured those were the things i would need to do. all electrical connections and what not. i was hopefully to get away with as little as possible but sounds like i need to go thro the whole truck. i already ran my vent tubes up to the top of the bed a couple years ago. i will just have to start working on every electrical connector. probably should have done that when i put in this new engine. time to get busy so i am ready for the spring. thanks guys.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
i figured those were the things i would need to do. all electrical connections and what not. i was hopefully to get away with as little as possible but sounds like i need to go thro the whole truck. i already ran my vent tubes up to the top of the bed a couple years ago. i will just have to start working on every electrical connector. probably should have done that when i put in this new engine. time to get busy so i am ready for the spring. thanks guys.
Water proofing is a lot of work. No easy way to do it. You have to take your time to make sure you get it right. Use the search function. This subject on the Snorkle has been brought up a bunch of times. Some great photos of homebuilt and storebought snorkles. Check out the tech section as well.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Plumcrazy's snorkel is nice. But if you REALLY want it waterproof, run the intake INTO the cab/glove box.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
i have searched the forums for awhile about it. some are nice. and of course seth's (plumcrazy) is nice. that dude is macgyver. he can fab anything to his truck and make it look good lol. i think i am going to build my snorkel now.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Modding never ends...next up is a periscope...dive, dive, dive!

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
^ i actually thought of something like that hahahahahahaha. like you know those colapseable cups for camping? i had one when i was real little but the same thing applys. you could rig one. it would be awesome hahahaha

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You'd have to seal and pressurize the cab(in) to do that...scuba gear would be more efficient...tanks, regulators, masks, the whole 9 yards...just no fins, that would make shiftin' a be-atch.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
i have seen that video before. its awesome. but i dont want to ever do that hahaha. how do you see where you are going? thats some dirty water.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Well watching that left me thinking... Whatever floats yer boat or sinks yer Hummer in this case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals