• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

water leak in cab

LilBlueTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys - quick question about a leak that I have in the cab of my 2000 Ranger regular-cab. I seem to have a leak near the upper-right rear area of the cab. It seemed to leak only during colder weather and during a heavy rain, but now it seems to be more often. The water drips in right above the corner of the rear window and it slowly soaks the right-rear area of the headliner, the carpet on the passenger-side, the passenger seat, and anything that I have behind the seat on that side! Has anybody else had a similar problem and, if so, managed to fix it? I was going to just deal with it, but since it seems to be getting worse, I am thinking about pulling the headliner and running a hose in the general area to see if I can pinpoint the location. If I am successful with that, then I will attempt to seal it with some silicone. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Seal around the third brake light. I used clear silicone. Fixed it on both my Rangers.

LilBlueTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I never thought of that, but it makes sense that the 3rd-brake-light could be a source of a water leak in this area. Thanks for the input! Has anyone else had this problem too?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it comes standard with most ranger with a 3rd brakelight or a cargo light....

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same problem. I was thinking about using silicone, but would if I ever had to remove the light to change the bulb, would the silicone take some of the paint off with it? I was thinking of maybe applying the silicone to the light and letting it dry fist, then reinstall it. Thoughts/opinions?

LilBlueTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, good point! If you are sealing it without removing the headliner or anything in the interior, then it must be sealed from the outside somehow. I thought of making a gasket (using black silicone to make it less obvious) around the plastic brake-light surface that contacts the body of the truck, let it dry, and then tighten back down the light. Is that how you guys did it? I want to fix the leak, but I don't want to make a mess on the outside with silicone and/or make it a pain to remove the light and change the bulbs when necessary.

Thanks again.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I have one of those on my current Ranger (cargo light)...will have to take a look at it but so far it hasn't leaked...the front windshield, however, leaks near the top on the driver's side...and the previous owner put silcone everywhere but the right place...quite a mess, actually!

irishblessing

Yeah, good point! If you are sealing it without removing the headliner or anything in the interior, then it must be sealed from the outside somehow. I thought of making a gasket (using black silicone to make it less obvious) around the plastic brake-light surface that contacts the body of the truck, let it dry, and then tighten back down the light. Is that how you guys did it? I want to fix the leak, but I don't want to make a mess on the outside with silicone and/or make it a pain to remove the light and change the bulbs when necessary.

Thanks again.
thats sounds like good idea i just found out i have a leak there and need it done

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
when i did my light the silicone was actually pretty easy to remove from where i screwed it up. That being said, if I had to do it over again I would still be MUCH more careful. I pulled the light off and laid down a small bead on the part where it meets the cab and then put it back on and tightened it down. Had a small amount coming outside of the light when i put it back on so I knew it was sealed good. Kind of used the silicone on the outside like caulking in a bath tub and hasnt leaked since.

irishblessing

i was thinking i would just put a line of silicone around the whole outer edge of the light then place it back on

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i was thinking i would just put a line of silicone around the whole outer edge of the light then place it back on
Thats how I did it the first time but it didnt turn out very clean. I probably just used too much though.

irishblessing

i did it today i hate silicone that stuff gets everywhere i hope it works

irishblessing

its still leaking and its pouring down rain here is there a seal i can buy from ford that will fit inside of the 3rd brake light to stop it from leaking or do i just have to mcguyver it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals