• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanting to return to the Ranger family, but…

mv213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First off, I had a 2003 FX4 Level II that I drove for 12+ years and loved to bits. Never a problem in all that time. In 2015 and when Rangers had been discontinued in the USA I got a 2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X with luxury package. Nice truck and has also had zero problems. Starting to consider trading in on a Ranger Tremor, either a 2022 or the next-gen that’s coming next year.

So, I finally had my first opportunity to drive a current Ranger-my uncle’s 2021 XLT base 4x4. To be honest, there were some surprising disappointments in the experience. I drove it about 200 miles, not just around the block.

Here are the downsides I noticed: 1. Very jiggly ride. Not just typical 4x4 firmness, I know the difference. I had read of this in some reviews. Probably a shock issue….I know the Tremor has Fox remote reservoir shocks. Does it ride a little more refined? I upgraded my Frontier to Bilstien 5100’s and it has a much more settled ride (than the Ranger). 2. Lugging at moderate speeds. 3. Tinny clang when closing the front doors.

I know the Tremor has a completely different suspension so I really need to drive that. I’m hoping the next-gen version will add some sound deadening to the front doors so it doesn’t sound so bad slamming the door.

Not knocking the Ranger at all, just a little disappointed. I would probably buy a Tremor even with these issues. I was impressed with the gas mileage (25.2 for the 200 miles I drove) and general quietness of the cabin. Passing power very good also.

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Were not getting the next gen til '24.

Don't hold your breath on ford adding sound deadening either lol... here's a partial list of features they've REMOVED from the ranger since it's re-debut in 2019 to save themselves some money.. adding sound deadening would probably bankrupt ford 🙄

Screenshot_20220903-135451_Chrome.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I didn't drive the standard trim model Rangers, so I don't know how they handle but I have been told they don't float and bob as much as the FX4 model does. So, it is definitely a shock damping issue. The doors definitely don't have a solid sound to them when they are closed. The new Ranger is ok over all, and it does what I bought it to do but I wouldn't call it great. I'm not sure any vehicle manufacture makes a great mid size truck anymore. I'm actually happier with my 2011 than I am with my 2019.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Were not getting the next gen til '24.

Don't hold your breath on ford adding sound deadening either lol... here's a partial list of features they've REMOVED from the ranger since it's re-debut in 2019 to save themselves some money.. adding sound deadening would probably bankrupt ford 🙄

View attachment 81612
“No glove box damper”

Holy crap! How will we ever survive? Even my 93 has a glove box da… Oh. Wait. No, it doesn’t. Never mind.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don't think my 2019 has one either.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Almost everyone with an FX4 complains about the ride. I have an STX with the standard suspension and have no complaints.
If you don't plan to actually go off-road and don't need skidplates then skip the FX4. The rear locker is available separately.
If you still want an FX4 you can replace the OE shocks and struts with Bilsteins for a lot less than the extra money a Tremor would cost.

Upsides:
1. I average at least 20 mpg on every tank of gas in mixed driving.
2. If I turn off the traction control and advance trac and mash the gas, the back tires break loose at 35 mph when the boost spools up. It's a fast mother.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
And, if you have an escape from 2014 to 2019ish, you can sit in either the ranger or the escape and if you dont look in the rear view mirror, think its the same vehicle.

We test drove one in 2020 when my wife wanted to trade in her 2018 escape. Both were strawberry red and that is what killed us getting a ranger. Same color exterior, same color leather interior, same headliner, same dash, same doors, same seats so wife said no, take me back to the dealership. I loved it and would have traded immediately though. I loved the escape woth the 2.0 ecoboost and the ranger with the 2.3 ecoboost. Both are sleepers

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The Ranger Tremor is going to be noticeably worse in gas mileage because they put the same axle ratio with those taller tires and the combo is not great for the 2.3EB. I also hate the tinny sounding doors. I expect a little dynomat in the doors would make that much better but who wants to disassemble their brand new doors to do something the factory should have done? I agree with JohnnyO's advice above.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You are concerned about jiggly and want to drive something called Tremor?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
The Ranger Tremor is going to be noticeably worse in gas mileage because they put the same axle ratio with those taller tires and the combo is not great for the 2.3EB.
There's some fckery going on with the fuel efficiency ratings for both the regular models and the tremor.

I have bigger & heavier tires than a tremor, front end sits higher than a tremor, AND I have bed racks on.. and my avg mpg is 1.5 better than the epa numbers for the tremor.

Oddly enough, I didn't lose any mpg from switching from my 255/75/17s on stock wheels to heavier 275/65s on heavier 18" wheels OR adding the bed racks. I did install a muffler delete about the same time.. mabey that has something to do with it. I find it hard to believe that just ditching the muffler would increase efficiency.. but find it harder to believe that I wouldn't of lost any efficiency by adding probably 50lbs of rotating mass or adding a whole bunch of extra wind resistance.

But anyways.. between the trannys 4.7:1 first gear, its 1:1 gear not being until 7th, and the motor making all its torque by 3k rpm the truck has zero problem with its axle gearing. If Ford didn't want to have the ranger to have best in class towing capacity they likely would of went with a 3.55 gear set.. possibly even lower.

By installing larger tires I've lowered my effective axle ratio from 3.73 to 3.49.. and I can still turn the locker on and bake both of them right off if I'm feeling froggy enough..

mv213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies everybody. It looks like my observations were not off-base. I hope Ford dials back the penny-pinching on the Ranger. Thanks again!

Edit: My FX4 Level II in 2012
018E4CEF-963E-4C25-84BC-BC4F8DB94D61.jpeg

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Until ford's stock price reaches a level its share holders are happy with, the penny pinching is going to continue. They've been de-contenting things from models every couple months it seems like.

Ironically enough... the penny pinching is upsetting some folks to the point where theve sold off their shares in ford and claim that they'll never buy a Ford again.. so 🤷‍♀️ lol.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
We bought our 2019 XL / FX4 new, and it now has about 31,000 miles.

No complaints whatsoever.

Prior to getting the Ranger we owned Tacoma's, since 1993, the last one being a 2002. The Ranger is a much more capable, and comfortable truck IMO.

mv213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
We bought our 2019 XL / FX4 new, and it now has about 31,000 miles.

No complaints whatsoever.

Prior to getting the Ranger we owned Tacoma's, since 1993, the last one being a 2002. The Ranger is a much more capable, and comfortable truck IMO.
The seating position (on the floor with legs straight out) and lack of headroom in the Tacoma make it a non-starter for me no matter how “reliable” it is. Not to mention the non-boxed frame and rear drum brakes….

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals