• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanting to do a 302 swap eventually in a 91

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Im thinking about doing a ford 302 swap in the near future an was wondering on what all i need to complete the swap. Transmission, headers, motor mounts, trans mounts, t case, etc. Also wondering what to do about my computer in the truck because i plan to go to an older carburetor motor. Thanks in advance

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
There's gotta be a good write-up on what all is involved in our technical library or whatever we call it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m sure there’s some good write ups around here.

Computer can be ditched if you’re going carb, I believe. You will really just need whatever sensors on the motor wired into the dash.

I would argue that it might be worth sourcing the motor and accessories from an Explorer and just change the intake and add a carb. Give you a shorter overall length and you could probably find one of us EFI guys to take the engine harness, fuel rail, intake, computer, PATS module (if applicable), etc from your donor. Not sure about motor mounts, but I’d be curious to see how well an Explorer motor would fit. If you’re using an auto transmission, then the one in an Explorer would be nice, but I’m not sure how that would work being it’s electric controlled. Might have to go to an F-150 transmission (if you’re manual, this is where you’re at anyway but you have more years to pick from).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals