• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

valve cover retainer

tehutton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi. Doing the dreaded valve cover gasket swap on a new-to-me 87 Ranger with 2.9. Somewhere along the way, I've lost one of the "moustache" valve cover retainers. Have the bolt, just need the retainer which I assume spreads the torque out a little more broadly. Does anyone know if replacements are available? Thanks, in advance for the counsel. I did use the more expensive Fel-Pro gaskets in an attempt to keep leaks down!

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
If a 2.9 isn't leaking, it's out of oil. :LOL:

Probably find some in a junkyard and I think I've seen universal ones in auto parts stores.

tehutton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. Just placed an order for some Dorman universal ones. Been a frustrating day. Got through the passenger side gasket without too much trouble. Driver's side has been a pain! Losing that little hold down was probably my cue to come inside and try again tomorrow. We're getting this 87 XLT 4 x4 back on the road after a seven year hiatus. PO parked it because of -- wait for it -- oil leaks. She gave it to my son. So far, we've done fuel tank, both fuel pumps, sending unit, new brakes and wheel bearings, plugs and now the valve cover gaskets. Next will be wires, cap and rotor. I think they might be originals ...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals