• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Swap Thread - 1994 B3000 "Victoria"

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
As the title says, I'd like to document this attempt at a V8 swap. It's my first time doing a swap where the engine wasn't designed to fit in the vehicle and I approach this with a certain amount of trepidation. However I still want to share this project with all of you warts and all until it's successful completion.

Last edited:

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: DE2235E7692E8C: July 5th, 2021

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
So... down to business. The recipient truck is my project truck a 1994 Mazda B3000 I've named Victoria. I'll be attempting to swap in a 302 from what I believe to be a 2000 Ford Explorer.

I do have:
A fully dressed 302 longblock that was pulled out of someone else's Ford ranger
The oil filter relocation, already installed
A vehicle wire harness from a 2000 Explorer
An ecu from a 2000 Explorer
Air intake with sensors
1994 Ranger EVTM manual
2000 Explorer Wiring Diagram book
Mini exhaust headers that were left on from the previous owner

I do not have:
The front end accessories or bracketry. Based on my reading here I know that some of it I can use from my existing 3.0 setup, while other parts will have to be purchased.
The motor mounts
Rad
hoses of various kinds
The 2 inch lift kit I wish to install before starting this
M5R2 from a '97 or above F150 to keep it a manual
Lots of other things I'm forgetting for the moment
My sanity

This is going to be a slow burn project as I'm trying to pay for this swap not using my main income. I'm going to take some introductory picture a little later today and post them up and try to take photos every step of the way.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I'm already wrestling with an engineering issue as old as time.. putting a square peg in a round hole. The firewall connector from the 2000 Explorer harness is square, while the connector in my '94 is a circle. The solution I am pursuing is to get another circle connector from the junkyard and then repinning the square connector as the round one.

Last edited:

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I haven't had much time to work on this but tonight I managed to start building a datasheet of what I have and don't have and what I need to do. It's far from complete but it's a great starting place to add some organization to this project. And... I can't share it as the attacher doesn't support .xls. Nuts.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
It's been quite awhile since I've been on this thread but I figured a few things out. I didn't have the full 2000 harness because the gentleman I purchased it from swapped it out of a 2000 ranger. Since the 2000 ranger and 2000 explorer share the same vehicle side of the harness, he didn't include that. In my case because the recepient is a '94, I do need the vehicle side of the harness. So I went to the junkyard and extracted the full vehicle side, including the three firewall connectors.

I finally have the full harness. I still have the connector conversion issue to sort out, but at least I have actual connectors to look at. I have also acquired the wire harness book for the 2000 Explorer so I have official ford documentation to look at.

GuppysRanger1994

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm following your build. Just bought a 94 ranger at an auction. Looking to do a 5.0 V8 swap keeping my manual transmission. Can't wait for updates!

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
I'm following your build. Just bought a 94 ranger at an auction. Looking to do a 5.0 V8 swap keeping my manual transmission. Can't wait for updates!
I'll get some more information that I've pieced together posted soon. I've got the speedometer issue sorted for the transmission, among other things. There's tons of information floating around but I don't think anyone has managed to bring it into one place for our particular swap. One thing I haven't made much headway on at all is the wiring. For me I think it's going to be using the 5.0 vehicle and engine harness and modifying connections to fit the '94 connection points for things like headlights, turn markers, etc. Going from OBD1 to OBD2 is daunting.