• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Swap Getting Parts Lined Up Questions

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well i have a few questions, i know they have probly been answered a few times, but of you have a momemt to chime in here and there, i would appreciate it, im gearing my self up to hopefully start a V8 Swap in my 95 ranger 4x4 starting in the fall.

My reason is truck needs new manifold and cats, exhaust studs are near non existent, and the etest is due at the end of august....

I got to thinking, maybe time for a newer truck..... nah... dont want the payment, so i opted to V8 swap,

I have a Few questions, mainly to clear a few of my fears, or at least start researching them and attack them when the time comes, and to keep an eye open for the correct parts... so here we go, i will thank everyone in advance for the help.

First things first the motor will obviously be a 5.0/302, EFI is my prefered route, should be easiest to pass an e-test. Now. from my research ive read stangs from the 89- till ? came with E7 heads. early 96 explorers came with GT-40 heads anf 97-99 or maybe later came with gt-40P Heads, i know the GT Heads are better, but i can remember wich is best. and also wich fits the ranger better, along with available heads. I believe the P is harder to find Headers for?

This leads me to the next question, my truck is currently Auto, i found the right trans for 200$ rebuilt f-150 4x4 5 speed, with under 5000km/3000miles on it, so i like it due to the fact is in nearly new.

My truck is a 4x4 and advance adapters makes an adapter for the trans i found,

Explorers seems to be the most common donors, wich i have been trying to look for, and decided weather to try and find one with 40 or 40p heads. As i plan on putting headers possibly, just worried about wich ones are better here.

Clutch im assuming can be robbed from and a ranger or f-150 to work the clutch when switching to manual, however, if i do would i be better finding a donor with a manual trans, due to the ECM? My biggest worry is the wiring, it just scares me i suppose, wiring hasnt been my strongest point, this is where i need the most guidance, the easier i make it for my self, the better.

My other questions, are id like to keep the AC, and if i could the factory Cruise Control, i can live with out it, but is it posible to keep this as well?

Now onto cooling, most opt for E-fans, for clearance issues, wich is fine by me, however for rads, what are my options for being able to convert my 3.0 4x4 rad to be suitable for the up and coming 5.0, and still be able to fit it in, i plan on adding a 2'' body lift to aid with the bell housing clearance as well. if that makes a difference.

Next is fuel. The in tank fuel pump as to my knowledge will not feed a v8 properly, is there an explo or stang pump i can fit into my stock tank, or do i have to go to an external pump? replacing the stock one would be ideal.

Final question(for now) is ive been on the hunt for a 8.8 rear. explorers are easy to come by, and offer disc brakes, wich would probly be a good upgrade, with having larger tires to stop as well as when towing, im sure the disc will aid in some what better stopping ability,

Can i just add a portioning valve to the rear if i went this route or do i have to change the entire master cylinder.

sorry for all the questions just looking for some help

Thanks

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
'87 and later Mustangs use E7 heads.
Cobra Mustangs, starting in '93, used GT40 heads. "P" heads started at some point in '97 for Explorer, and lasted to '01.
They all work well, GT40's provide a little more power. "P" heads are more difficult to find headers for, as you said. However, I have not tried them, and many headers WILL bolt right on. But not necessarily headers that fit a Ranger.

Decide what you want for a trans. If it was me, I'd grabe trans/bellhousing/flywheel/transfer case from an F150. Adapter-shmadapter.

The ECM doesn't care what trans you use. Though, '94 and later (Mustang) and the Explorers use computer controlled automatic, so they will show a check engine light without the AODE/4R70w.

Cruise control is completly seperate, will work with any setup.
Want AC? you need front accessaries from a late Cougar, '94/'95 Mustang, or Explorer. This will allow you to keep the rad in the stock location and use a mechanical fan if you choose.
Otherwise, you put a stock Ranger (or Explorer) rad under the core support, where the AC condensor is now.

My stock fuel pump works fine. But the pump itself is the same for Ranger/Mustang. The motor, I mean, not the whole unit. So it's an easy swap if you need it later.

Lastly, wiring is simple. Buy a Harwood swap manual for your truck, and EVTM for your truck, and an EVTM for your donor vehicle.

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, i have purchased the harwood manual, just havnt made it down to the wiring section yet, the adapter is looking nice that way i do no have to modify the drive shafts and such then transmmission i found i dont think has the t case with it but i will look into it!

Thanks Teddy, are you saying a stock ranger rad will be sufficient?

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ONLY if it is a dual core 4.0 aluminum Heavy Duty radiator. (and you'll need a strong electric fan as well ). I wouldn't trust any other v6 stock form radiator. The stock 2.9 rad ( same rad to my knowledge in all v6 non 4.0 trucks) will not cool a small block sufficiently.
Bout the only way too is a dual fan set up. ( I wouldn't trust that either.)
I swapped in a 302 in my 88' 2.9 BII 5spd and the stock rad wouldn't do jack with mechanical fan. Put a 18" pusher on it and it helped but would over heat in highway traffic, drive thru's, city traffic. Was a royal pain in my ass. I swapped in a dual core aluminum HD with the same 17" fan and all was right with the world after.

If you can afford it go full tube headers. The difference in torque is astonishing and the sound is amazing.

You can just add the proportioning valve for the new discs so far as I know ...

The fuel pump...... You may be able to fit an explorer V8 pump in there but dont hold me to that.... Just in case though holley makes a good little external pump and it will draw right through the stock pump in the tank.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I would try the stock rad.
Many of us use it successfully. My truck runs super cold, depends on the thermostat I use. Started at 160deg, too cold. Now 180deg, too cold. I'll swap it to stock 5.0 192 deg soon.

That's with a stock 4.0 rad. I have a 5.0 Ex rad here, it looks identical. It's automatic, of course...

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys, i already caugght my self looking on ebay at a 331 stroker kit..... i dont know if that is a good idea tho LOL

Ry

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
also who makes full tube headers that will fit in the ranger?

TRX501RYAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i found full lenghts 5.0 headers on summit, with in my idea of a price range, would theses fit a ranger, 4x4?

Hedman Hedders 88308 - Hedman Elite Hedders
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88308/?rtype=10

JBA Tri Y's ive hear tri Y before not sure if they are what im looking for tho ?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/JBA-6651S/

and another set of hedmans
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-88398/?rtype=10

also james duff also has a set in my range. looks like theses might be my best bet?
http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/engine.html

Last edited:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
the radiator also depend on how you are driving it on the street is one this revving it on the trails is another, go for a bigger radiator especially with the 3.0 and the e-fan

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Any progress on this yet?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the Duff headers are probably your best bet for long tubes in a 4x4.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I did a full detailed writeup on the 95-97 V8 swap...check out my build thread, all your questions should be answered in the very first post :icon_thumby:
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals