• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 driveshaft torque capacity (not fitment question)

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
So, what are all you guys (with 400+ hp) using for a driveshaft? The factory 2.3L shaft in my '93 longbed held up to a mild 302. I am however concerned with the 331ci stroker and a built hard shifting C4 transmission. Anyone have any input? I'm considering having a custom aluminum shaft built, but I've never dealed with a driveshaft shop before so any recommendations would be welcome.

So, what driveshaft are you guys running and how much power is being put to it?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well, guys using 4wd low are putting more then twice the torque a 2wd would be through their shafts without issue, especially those with an 4wd/v8 combo.

But, I've broke mine after belly dropping the truck on it so I had one built. The stock ranger 1 piece driveshaft is .065 wall tubing, and I had my parts shaft (lengthened from an explorer) retubed with .090 wall, and haven't had an issue yet. I'd think a higher quality U joint would be a better expenditure/failsafe then a custom built shaft.

*** Increasing diameter will also increase strength significantly.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I ran the stock 2 pc shaft in mine for several years behind a manual transmission. Wasn't til the 331 came and I subjected it to a dry burnout on rough pavement that the middle cast yoke broke. That was the only part that broke too. I replaced it with a shortened (by 2") shaft from a 93 E150. Only drawback to it is it bumps the floor of my 89 Supercab when the truck has 2 people in it.

847b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely upgrade the u-joints...

I will measure my steel drive shaft when I get a chance. Whatever mine is, it has stood up to 4 seasons of drag racing with a transbrake, 3500 stall converter and 350 hp to the wheels.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Well the stock 2.3L longbed shaft I have is right around 4 inches in diameter (this is from a poorly calibrated eyeball). I remember first doing the swap thinking "this driveshaft is a little overkill for a 2.3L". I've already got top quality joints in it from when I put the first 302 in. I think I'll just run a driveshaft safety loop for added security against potential body damage. Then again, I might eventually have a custom shaft made because I've been tossing the idea of a centrifugal supercharger once I get the 331's issues straight.

Thanks for the input!

847b- what have you found to be a weak spot in the frame? I noticed with the 302 the chassis would flex by the bed a lot. I'm thinking some cross bracing and ladder bars.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hope you're taking a lot of pictures to tease us with.! Would sure think that shaft would do. You've upgraded the joints and going to run a C-4, it's normally the shock load that takes the joints out. Don't see a problem even going with that charger.
Dave - Up Nord

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Hope you're taking a lot of pictures to tease us with.! Would sure think that shaft would do. You've upgraded the joints and going to run a C-4, it's normally the shock load that takes the joints out. Don't see a problem even going with that charger.
Dave - Up Nord
Easy big fella, no boost yet. I'll try to take some pictures. As a matter of fact, I'm going to be cutting up some long tube "in frame" headers to fit the ranger chassis (not a big fan of shorties and not going to pay $+400 for long tubes). Maybe I'll snap some pictures of that to satisfy your craving. Wait til spring when its warmer. I'll make more progess then.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well the stock 2.3L longbed shaft I have is right around 4 inches in diameter (this is from a poorly calibrated eyeball). I remember first doing the swap thinking "this driveshaft is a little overkill for a 2.3L". I've already got top quality joints in it from when I put the first 302 in. I think I'll just run a driveshaft safety loop for added security against potential body damage. Then again, I might eventually have a custom shaft made because I've been tossing the idea of a centrifugal supercharger once I get the 331's issues straight.

Thanks for the input!

847b- what have you found to be a weak spot in the frame? I noticed with the 302 the chassis would flex by the bed a lot. I'm thinking some cross bracing and ladder bars.
If the stock shaft is that big, then leave it be. It'll do.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My 98+ stock replacement was 3.5" dia, the one I replaced it with (same dia. as original 2 piece) is 2.75" dia.

Last edited:

847b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My drive shaft (1 piece) is 3" OD steel tube. Not sure on the wall thickness and I can't find the receipt.

Originally Posted by Gotta_gofast
I have not found the weak spot yet. I have a four link rear suspension and to mount the front brackets I made a heavy duty cross member out of 2" x 6" x .188" steel tubing and 1/4" plate. In addition, I also added a cross member behind the rear axle to mount shocks to. These two items really stiffened up the back. While under construction I did notice (as you mention) how flexible the back half of the frame is. I think cross bracing would be a safe bet and get the truck to hook better. Hope this helps!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't get me wrong but you have a nice rear end! Some guys just cut and hack and make something fit, a lot of you guys take some pride in your work and it shows. --------------- Brain working. Seem to remember a narrowed 9" 31 spline sitting in the gargage. Came out of all things a Pinto.
Dave

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
I believe mine is either a 3 1/2" or a 3 3/4" one piece driveshaft I had custom made by a local driveline shop for $185. It's much better than the wimpy 2-piece(which I think was 2 3/4" dia.) Even spritzed for the Spicer joints.

This is definitly one area you don't want to cheap out on. I didn't have a lot of money at the time, but I knew that it would be well worth it.

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I twisted a stock 1 piece into at the rear joint wth 462 rwhp. I would go custom when/if you supercharge it.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Get some .250 wall high-carbon seamless pipe.....then go to the Jon Deere store & pick up a couple 7" (cap to cap) u- joints.....give the U-Joint shop 400 $ and the dimensions.....problem solved 4-ever.....

now.....about the weak tranny & differential !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Get some .250 wall high-carbon seamless pipe.....then go to the Jon Deere store & pick up a couple 7" (cap to cap) u- joints.....give the U-Joint shop 400 $ and the dimensions.....problem solved 4-ever.....

now.....about the weak tranny & differential !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:nono:Are you off your meds again ? :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals