• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

twisted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok i got a question for you guy's . How do you twist a tailshaft on a 86 2.9 4x4 ranger ? the guy i had rebuild the orginal transmission told me that i did when i brought it back 2week later . hmmm i know my 2.9 doesnt make that much horsepower lol . any ideas? :icon_confused::dunno::annoyed::shok:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
On the transmission itself? I guess by side-stepping the clutch at high RPM in 1st gear you could do it (especially if you stick it in 4WD-Hi first lol). I'd be curious to see it myself though if that's what he's claiming (usually they break, not twist).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
lol its an a4ld pos . when its done and i go get it im gonna look at it and take pic to post on here .

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
In that case, substitute "neutral-slamming it" for "side-stepping the clutch" lol.

Was it a replacement shaft by chance? Maybe it wasn't hardened properly during manufacture?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
that idk about the replacement shaft and no i dont neutral drop my truck . the only thing i did was go frm overdrive to drive cause it wouldnt downshift goin up hills and it sucks doin 65mph to goin anywhere to 45 to 35mph before i get to the top... and the other thing it did was about 2grand it acted like something was clogged fuel filter or cat it would backfire then clear up then if i was slowing down and the rpms drop back back to 2grand it would do it all over again .... i changed the plugs and wires twice now so i dont think its a miss but i could be wrng . whould that harm the transmission ?

jhammel85

that idk about the replacement shaft and no i dont neutral drop my truck . the only thing i did was go frm overdrive to drive cause it wouldnt downshift goin up hills and it sucks doin 65mph to goin anywhere to 45 to 35mph before i get to the top... and the other thing it did was about 2grand it acted like something was clogged fuel filter or cat it would backfire then clear up then if i was slowing down and the rpms drop back back to 2grand it would do it all over again .... i changed the plugs and wires twice now so i dont think its a miss but i could be wrng . whould that harm the transmission ?
I'm not sure what happened to your trans but definitely post pics!

As far as downshifting, you shouldnt have to. Thats what the TV cable is for that hooks to the trans off of your gas pedal linkage. Thats why the trans kicks down if you are in any gear if you hit the gas for more power. I don't know why it wouldn't down shift on it's own..Perhaps that cable wasn't put back on / Adjusted correctly???

You never hit neutral, then drive while riding down the road during all of this right? Sudden velocity like that could twist it (I would imagine)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9v6
Transmission
Automatic
well i didnt get to see the tailshaft when i went and got my truck back , man it felt great driving it ... so far its running alot better yesterday it sounded like it kicked out of gear again .. dear a4ld : i reallly really dont like you !!!! love the owner lol ...

wookie13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 TRITON V-8
Transmission
Automatic
dude I would go after that F-250 you were looking at. IMO i think the ranger is more hassle than what it is worth. Plus as you said there would be a better availiblity of parts and whatnot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals