• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turning my truck into a home refueling station and elimiate gas cans

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions how to do this? Got a old Ford Ranger Pickup truck, and why refuel gas cans when there is a tank of fuel just setting right there... I just got to figure out a way to add a gas nozzle.

I'm thinking a dual battery setup, using the OEM electric pump and a tee on the high pressure fuel line side, with a on/off valve in front of the regulator, I can hook up a gas hose with a gas station nozzle.

My question is what safety things, if any, I need to prevent the truck from bursting into flames in an accident?

I can eliminate all my gas cans, because where I am, my truck is also near, so, in theory, I can just turn a valve, have the fuel pump hard wired on, extra capacity with two batteries and fuel up my mower. I think the fuel pump can handle this, but any safety things I need to keep in mind?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
why not just bolt a fuel cell in the bed? there are also tanks that fit in the bed with a low pressure pump that pumps maybe 2 gals a minute

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I get your idea, you want to have the truck still road legal. The fuel system is supposed to hold ~40psi indefinitely. I'd say the problem would be the extra line, where do you store it safely. There are quick connects for racing brake systems, maybe they could be adapted so the line is removable and the quick connect is hidden by the fuel door? or maybe there is a quick connect for fuel lines?

Richard

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
We did that on a shop van at the last place I worked. Just had a shut off valve teed in on the fuel supply line at the engine. Had about 6' of fuel hose rolled up under the hood and a push pull switch to activate the pump. Single healthy battery never had any trouble keeping up.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're gonna want a fitting on the end of the hose to prevent leaks in the event that the valve inadvertently comes open, or leaks by internally.

A spring loaded ball valve, maybe 1/4" NPT size would be best. That way, the valve handle closes by itself if you are not holding it open.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Older Ranger , pre-'95, will have a place to put a jumper/switch that will turn fuel pump relay on and off, it is on the VIP/DLC connector.
And a Tee could be installed on fuel line using pressure fittings.

But don't confuse pressure with volume, it will take awhile to get 5 gallons out of the gas tank using the fuel pump.

And you run the risk of draining the gas tank, so not enough gas to get truck to the closest gas station, or, knock on wood, having the fuel pump pack it in by using it in a continuous manner, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and doesn't normally run all the time, computer turns it on and off based on RPM, speed and throttle position.
Murphy's Law says one of these will happen :)

A second fuel tank with a separate pump(hand pump or electric), would be a better idea IMO.

Second battery probably wouldn't be needed.
And assuming manual transmission, you can always park facing downhill, lol.

Last edited:

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What's the flow rate on a fuel pump like that, though? You don't want to spend all day filling a 5 gallon riding mower... George Jones doesn't even have time for that...

We should all know that pumps create flow, and restriction to flow creates pressure.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
They don't pump very fast.... Usually took about 10min to fill a 5gal can.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't see why you can't rig up a high-flow pump on a separate circuit with a kill switch in cab, and another one somewhere accessible from the outside to actually use it. I'd hate standing there for 10 minutes to fill a 5 gallon can.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, generally these stock fuel pumps would be about 30gal per hour(GPH), so 2min per gallon
5gal = 10 minutes.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Any concerns with static causing sparks? I'd have the fuel nozzle grounded to the truck, but the truck is on rubber tires.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
He should ground it out and discharge any static before fuel flows.

Or if its a real concern throw a grounding rod down.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Older Ranger , pre-'95, will have a place to put a jumper/switch that will turn fuel pump relay on and off, it is on the VIP/DLC connector.
And a Tee could be installed on fuel line using pressure fittings.

But don't confuse pressure with volume, it will take awhile to get 5 gallons out of the gas tank using the fuel pump.

And you run the risk of draining the gas tank, so not enough gas to get truck to the closest gas station, or, knock on wood, having the fuel pump pack it in by using it in a continuous manner, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank and doesn't normally run all the time, computer turns it on and off based on RPM, speed and throttle position.
Murphy's Law says one of these will happen :

A second fuel tank with a separate pump(hand pump or electric), would be a better idea IMO.

Second battery probably wouldn't be needed.
And assuming manual transmission, you can always park facing downhill, lol.

since when have the little fords had a duty cycle fuel pump?

there are variable voltage pumps....but they just boost flow on demand.....not stopping and starting. none of the eec 4 setups even had a pressure transducer in the line to monitor pressure to be able to know when to turn it on and off.....

oilpatch......guys named oilpatch should not be called oilpatch if they have to ask this. i prefer to have a stash of fuel no matter what in reserve....you never know when you will pop the tank or something....blow a line....

but i have often transferred fuel in the way your asking. but the way my truck has been setup since 92(when i started drilling oil wells.....in the oil patch), i would just unclip the factory line and jam a hose on the fitting to transfer some fuel if it was necessary...sometimes it would make a mess....just be mindfull of the situation with raw fuel..better then a mouthful of gas.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals