• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

trying to lift an '05 Ranger!?!

Auto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Gentlemen,
I'm looking for some ideas here. I'm looking to lift my stock '05 4x4 XLT no more than 3''. I thought it would be easy and cheap with a 3'' body lift kit but my local shop is advising me against it. They believe it will put too much stress on my body and would only cause damage further down the road.

fair point I say, but that leaves me with very few other options. There seems to be very few options for 05 Rangers.

Could I possibly get another inch or so out of my stock setup, then add a 1/1.5 body lift??

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gentlemen,
I'm looking for some ideas here. I'm looking to lift my stock '05 4x4 XLT no more than 3''. I thought it would be easy and cheap with a 3'' body lift kit but my local shop is advising me against it. They believe it will put too much stress on my body and would only cause damage further down the road.

fair point I say, but that leaves me with very few other options. There seems to be very few options for 05 Rangers.

Could I possibly get another inch or so out of my stock setup, then add a 1/1.5 body lift??

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

they told u it would put too much stress on the body???......thats a load of shit, the mounts are the same positions, ur just raising the point where it goes on, u will experience a bit more body roll but thats just becuase the truck will be lifted higher.....

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Those re-indexed keys are a waste of money. You should be able to crank the front end up to 2 inches with the stock keys. Anymore than that and you start putting a lot of stress on cv joints, ball joints, tie rods, etc.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Bodylifts do add some leverage on the bolts, true, but seldom is it ever an issue. Most stories you hear about problems are either with badly rusted trucks, or improper installation. The only valid argument I see against them is if you were in a very serious accident, the extra leverage could break or shear the bolts. That said, I run one on my BII and it gets wheeled hard. Never had a problem.

I would suggest the same and find another shop willing to install it for you if that's what you're after (or as said, install it yourself. It's not real hard, especially on a fairly new truck where the bolts aren't rusted solid yet).

Agreed on the keys, the stock ones allow plenty of adjustment before you'll run into problems with the CVs and balljoints.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
buy a 13/16th socket, 21mm socket, 18mm and 19mm sockets. thats about all you need to do it your self.... and sometimes 8 cans of pb blaster!

Auto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
right on boys, I'll just keep looking around for another shop. I gotta raise this sucker one way or another!

farley610

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
i just put the PA 3 inch on my 04 and it looks sweet, its cheap and for a DD and weekend trail rides you cant beat it.

Auto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Just to give you an idea, This is exactly the look I'm trying to get for mine. This is from the Performance accessories website, I'm assuming it's their 3'' BL kit as it's about the only thing available for an '05

Auto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
An Update

Well, it seems as if my local shop won't do anything! They aren't even willing to crank my torsion bars for me. I know it's a job I could do myself, but I'm not in a position to get it done so I figured I'd just get them to do it and follow it up with an alignment. Nope. I can't believe these guys!

:annoyed:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, it seems as if my local shop won't do anything! They aren't even willing to crank my torsion bars for me. I know it's a job I could do myself, but I'm not in a position to get it done so I figured I'd just get them to do it and follow it up with an alignment. Nope. I can't believe these guys!

:annoyed:

most shops anymore wont do any work that doesnt require them buying the parts and sellin them at a mark up, definatly find another shop, preferably one that knows what a 4x4 truck is for......

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Bullshit or not, they still refuse to mount it for me.
They Refused!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
Is this a public shop were talkin about!??

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Wow, you really gotta find another shop......we do suspension lifts, bodylifts, t bar cranks and alignments all the time at the dealership I work at...jeez

Auto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
what a useless shop!

I know, this is crazy. It's the only shop people talk about in the area and their too afraid to do anything! I don't get it myself :icon_confused: Anyways, as I'm looking for a new shop I'll take matters into my own hands this weekend and get my t-bars cranked on my own.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals