• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tree guys, Arborists and Riggers… I have questions …

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Shoulder Shot Line Launcher

Anyone that frequents this site could probably make their own for <$60 without a problem.
Pretty similar to the one I saw and yeah, I don’t see any reason why I can’t build my own for less. I would like to know exactly how they are supposed to be used (throw bag or ball, what pressure, etc), but I can probably wing it a bit and experiment

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Like a potatoe gun?
That was a thought that went through my head. I think I have the parts to build a potato gun somewhere. These seem to be metal and set to run on a charge of compressed air, but same kind of principle I’m thinking

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Basically, yes, though when you buy throw bags that almost exactly fit the inside of the tube you can get incredible accuracy and height. I have been hit by mis-launched bags from my Big Shot, so, I learned to cover my genitals and to always wear my helmet with face mask as the bags can leave quite the bruise. The bag cannon is much safer in that respect.

Here is the basic shopping list to make one:

throw bag launcher

pressure gauge
safety release valve
tire stem valve
ball valve for release - safety lock for trigger
3 feet of tube for bag
3 feet of tube for pressure
bead sight - notch sight

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Basically, yes, though when you buy throw bags that almost exactly fit the inside of the tube you can get incredible accuracy and height. I have been hit by mis-launched bags from my Big Shot, so, I learned to cover my genitals and to always wear my helmet with face mask as the bags can leave quite the bruise. The bag cannon is much safer in that respect.

Here is the basic shopping list to make one:

throw bag launcher

pressure gauge
safety release valve
tire stem valve
ball valve for release - safety lock for trigger
3 feet of tube for bag
3 feet of tube for pressure
bead sight - notch sight
Entirely buildable… I’ll have to make a run to the plumbing store one of these days and see about this. Any idea what kind of pressure they typically run?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I haven’t got to trying to build a bag cannon yet, it’s still on the list. I did find that my bags are a perfect fit for I think it was 1.5” PVC, but I thought about trying a little bigger and use a shop rag or something for a sort of patched bullet effect.

I have rope for my puller. Still working on my idea for a sort of porta-wrap lowering device. Figure I’ll use the puller rope for rigging work. Need to get some steel for making it.

For climbing I have my complete harness (Petzl Sequoia SRT) with the chest harness that makes it into a fall-arrest rated harness. It’s put together and largely adjusted. Have a spare rope bridge but didn’t think about it, I need a ring or swivel for the bridge yet. Also considering getting a different length bridge just because. Got a couple Petzl OK carabiners too. I had a couple locking carabiners from off brands but figured I’d use the Petzl ones for climbing and the others for other stuff. Still need a lanyard, I’m thinking steel core might be a good choice just for safety. I could use some of the 3 strand and make a flip line/lanyard but I’m leaning towards just buying a steel core.

A retractable saw lanyard is on the list.

For climbing I got the Rock Exotica Akimbo, but it lists specific ropes that are rated for use with it. My original plan had been to get a spool of True Blue 12-strand for climbing, figuring it would be a coarse and durable climbing rope, but of course it’s not on the list. I went down the list last night and about half the ropes on the list I couldn’t find for sale through the two arborist stores I’ve been dealing with. There was only one 16 strand on the list, and several 24 strand ropes that were on the list that I could find. I wasn’t really planning on getting a 24 strand but it’s looking like that is the bulk of my options. Anyone have any recommendations on why I should pick one or the other? Below is the ones I was looking at…

Notch Sasquatch Max (16 strand, the rest are 24 strand)
Samson Vortex (in hot or cool, it’s a color thing)
Teufelberger DragonFly
Notch Banshee

Two other options but a little more than I wanted to spend were Teufelberger Tachyon Ash or Surge

Well, all of that lead to me doing some more research and revisiting my idea of climbing SRT with a Basal anchor and discovering that a canopy anchor is often preferred because it loads the tree less (found a very good video on this that was really eye opening) which got me thinking of using a friction saver so that’s something else for the list.

I‘m really kinda getting excited about trying this so I’m hoping to be able to get the last of what I need soon and giving it a go. I have a rough plan of how I’m going to handle the one tree that needs climbed and cut down.

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've always used a set of snatch blocks for lowering branches any rope rated to 1klbs is more then enough, hooked the pull end to hitch of truck,cut limb and have some one back the truck up unhook the pull forward to bring blocks back up tree

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So the last of the climbing stuff should be here today minus a spool of rope, still haven’t settled on one yet. I did pick up a bag of rope “scraps” that may or may not have a length of climbing rope. But it will have pieces I can use for odds and ends. Got the friction saver, a ring for the harness and the lanyards. Cable one for me and retractable for the saw. I’ll get pictures at some point. Some of the stuff got here Tuesday and I put it away before thinking about a pic.

Think I’m going to try building a PVC launcher and use 4” for the air chamber to see if I can run high volume/low pressure. Probably take some experimenting but I’m fine with that.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Climbing trees with a running saw and several other life and death obstacles is for someone who has no fear of heights and a pair of brass balls.

I have zero of what it takes to do that kind of work.

Be safe out there...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I ended up with three lengths of rope in the 40-60’ range out of the grab bag. Two of them are rated for my Akimbo and one is unidentified. Then there’s a 50’ length of another that the core pulled out. Not sure if that’s useable for anything. Couple short lengths, well, two might be kinda long but it’s more for boat use which is fine, it will go on my boat. I was able to salvage a length that still had the core off the one long line and that made me two more friction savers, a short one and a long adjustable.

9347385B-86C9-4EEA-BEF8-7652FF48A7E5.jpeg

5E7C2B99-DCDA-4AFB-A97A-47A8D612E32C.jpeg
261CC626-9373-418C-B323-FB04512352FA.jpeg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Climbing trees with a running saw and several other life and death obstacles is for someone who has no fear of heights and a pair of brass balls.

I have zero of what it takes to do that kind of work.

Be safe out there...
I am not afraid of heights. It’s the sudden stop at the bottom that concerns me, but I’m going to be using some awesome gear and I did some indoor rock climbing in high school so I know a little.

Oh, and the balls are stainless… titanium is on the want list…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I still need to pick a rope and order it. The only other things I need I can manufacture here (bag cannon and porta-wrap). Tried searching and even the people claiming to review ropes just present what they’ve used and like and don’t really recommend much of anything. Most of the ropes on the list of what’s approved for use with my gear have mixed reviews. Most are positive but there’s a few that say it’s junk for one reason or another. Usually some issue with not working right with their gear but they don’t specify what gear or climbing techniques. So that’s inconclusive too.

Yesterday I messaged the one company and asked specifically for rope recommendations based on my gear and intended climbing techniques and was given a few recommendations, but most of them I had to disregard because it’s off the lighter weight table for the Akimbo (I should have been more specific) and between me and my gear I’m going to end up somewhat close to the cutoff (220#) and I’d rather have the extra safety margin of the second table (286#). The recommendations they gave for that was one rope they don’t sell and two Sterling ropes (Workpro and Scion).

Now. In the rope grab bag I got there was some 16 strand rope ( nothing approved for my gear) and a length of Notch Banshee and Sterling Scion (both 24 strand). I like the coarseness of the 16 strand ropes but it makes me question how well it will run in my gear. It would likely hold up well to whatever I would do with it though. I have a 16 strand option available, the Sasquatch. There are a couple 32 strand ropes available but I don’t want to go that fine. The Notch Banshee seems like a pretty nice rope but the reviews were either it’s the greatest ever or it’s completely worthless. Of course, once again, nobody specifies what gear or how they use it in the reviews so there’s no telling which side of the fence I’d be on. The Sterling Scion is some really nice rope, at least for the little bit I played with it. But it’s also the most expensive. Not many reviews for that though.

My original intent was to pick a rope and buy a full spool, saving roughly $50-100 over buying that much by the foot. Then cut the spool into a couple lengths, say a 100’, two 150’ and a 200’. That way I don’t have to drag out a 200’ rope to get 50’ up and I can use one rope as a main access line and other ropes for moving in the canopy. That said, I can use the couple 50’ ropes I got in the grab bag for shorter stuff. So do I still buy a full spool, and if I do what kind do I go with? Or should I be worried about having all my ropes the same that I might mix them up in the tree and I should have different ropes for the different lengths so I can go by rope color for which is longer? I’m heat shrinking the ends and using a paint marker on the heat shrink to label length so on the ground at least I can tell how long it is. Should I just get a 150’ or 200’ rope for now and deal with having miles of extra rope for most climbs? Couple of the oaks and hickory trees around here are pretty tall. This whole thing is giving me anxiety and I want to get whatever I get ordered by Wednesday at the latest. Just not entirely sure what to do.

The bulk of my climbing will be done SRT with a canopy anchor with a friction saver and using a Rock Exotica Akimbo and a Notch Jet Step foot ascender. I also have a hitch climber setup and plain old Prussics plus there’s always the reliable Blake’s hitch for DRT. I may or may not use DRT climbing at some point and I may mix up things like not always using a friction saver or the Akimbo or whatever. There’s always the chance of doing a Basal anchor at some point. And I’ll probably use a figure 8 for coming down out of a tree if I’m any real distance up. Just not sure what to do or who to ask at this point.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For anyone wanting a cannon list, here is mine, for metal pipe. I am only using PVC for the handles. All you need in addition to this would be two worm hose clamps and a metal value stem.

A note from John Brown:
list of stuff to buy
throw bag cannon | List Price: $84.79 | List Size: 5

Product Image
VPC VPC 1-1/2 in. x 24 in. PVC Sch. 40 DWV Pipe
Store SKU # 221646
Internet # 202300503
$7.12
Qty

30 In Stock
aisle
Aisle: 09
Bay: 008
Add to Cart

Product Image
Qty

Product Image
Qty

Product Image
Unbranded 1-1/2 in. FPT Full Port Brass Ball Valve
Store SKU # 1007039148
Internet # 317815311
$32.23
Qty

Product Image
Southland Southland 1-1/2 in. Black Malleable Iron Cap
Store SKU # 342534
Internet # 100194589
$5.45

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> I have a good cordless and some carbide pruning blades.

Yes, a battery powered sawzall and pruning blades are a great thing to have for light tree work. For one thing if it gets jammed, the blade bends vs. the saw kicking up and back towards your head/neck. Not ideal for the undercut though. If you jam it, very easy to remove the saw from the stuck blade and pop in a new one.

> Like a potatoe gun?

Yes, this is the guy that basically started the air cannon for tree work on YT for many people that follow his channel. Not that I am a fan of YT, I quit a while ago, BUT, I think he only has a channel there.

How to build a throw ball cannon! Homemade air cannon!

I am going with 36" for the barrel part to see how accurate it is - if it proves to be too front heavy, then it will end up being the air tube.

In the FWIW category about rope questions:

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I ended up with three lengths of rope in the 40-60’ range out of the grab bag. Two of them are rated for my Akimbo and one is unidentified. Then there’s a 50’ length of another that the core pulled out. Not sure if that’s useable for anything. Couple short lengths, well, two might be kinda long but it’s more for boat use which is fine, it will go on my boat. I was able to salvage a length that still had the core off the one long line and that made me two more friction savers, a short one and a long adjustable.

View attachment 75962
View attachment 75963View attachment 75964
I think you will really like the camming on the steel core flip line. Mine was like that. When coming out of the tree, especially on DRT, never do it over a single branch, using a figure 8 or Petzl Stop. We had a local guy fall out of a tree that way, when the branch broke, and now he is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. Have fun! I am now trying to lose more weight so I can get back into the tree business.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals