• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

travel with a 64in chevy swap

DanjaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much travel could i expect to possibly acheive with a 64in chevy swap re-arched 10 in and 7-9in shackles as oppossed to deaver springs and a flipped shackle? also what king of shock setup should i use or what is the best?? thanks to any respones!

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how much travel could i expect to possibly acheive with a 64in chevy swap re-arched 10 in and 7-9in shackles as oppossed to deaver springs and a flipped shackle? also what king of shock setup should i use or what is the best?? thanks to any respones!
you can get good travel with 64" chevy spring but your not gunna have the preload a deaver spring has nor the progressive spring rate. Raceranger is runnin those on his but i still think him and you would be suprised in the difference a deaver pack makes over the stock chevy springs

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well I would agree. My first set of springs were better than stock but did not perform nearly as well as a deaver spring. However the pack I have been running the last year does quite well. I still has a chevy 64 as the main leaf. I have rode in many trucks with various deaver packs and still I will not be taking this pack off untill it breaks.

arch is about 15" I believe

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could make a set of 'L' shaped shackles and get an extra few inches of travel. Imagine if the shackles on racerangers truck pointed down as well as out; an L shape.
Shocks depends on travel and money. I'll document my build when I get to it, hopefully in the next few weeks.

I'm just about to try the chev 64" springs. I'm limited to 12" of travel in the rules so I don't know if I need to worry about re-arching or even the shackles.
I asked in another thread about this;

-quote '[I'm starting to piece together the parts for my 64" spring swap and shackle flip for my short course off road race truck. I'm wondering about the bushing; from spring to rear shackle. It looks like there will be limited movement because the outside is an interference fit into the spring and the inner part of the bushing is clamped to the shackle. How do you get more droop or is the rubber part that flexible? I don't have any experience with this, I ASSumed that the shackle portion would pivot quite freely. Can anyone explain this to me. Or is this one of those racing secrets?]'-unquote

also, raceranger97, would you be willing to tell me what springs you used to make your spring pack and the weight of the rear of your truck? my trucks rear is 1320 lbs and I'd like a starting point for the spring pack.
Thanks,
Richard

DanjaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys so do you think i should just buy deavers? and how long are deaver springs would i still have to move the hanger forward on my truck?

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
the deaver f31 and g50 are pretty much bolt on. with exceptions of flipping the rear hanger and shackle. im currently running the f31 pack with the the hangers flipped. but here pretty soon i will be moving the hanger back and down from the stock location and switching to a shackle that is 1.5 longer then stock. the red in the pic below is the stock location.

the instillation of the deavers over the chevy 64's is much easier plus you dont grind that many rivets.

DanjaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sweet man thanks for the advice that idea looks cool to how do you plan on attaching the hanging section heres my idea with a 4-6in extended shackle angled slightly and sideways hanger sorry about the small image:)
shackleideas-1.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals