• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission indicator

tworanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger with the 5r55e. my problem is that the little orange indiator is not positioned right. In Park it indicates "R", in reverse the indicator is on "N", and so on. It goes through all the gear setting just the pointer is wrong. what will it take to fix this, any help is great, thanks

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I just went through this SAME thing and I couldn't find anyone who know WTF I was talking about. I had to figure it out.

Under the steering wheel there is a kick panel. Pull that panel off, there will be another metal panel underneath it.

Once you get both those panels off you can get contorted under the dash. There is a very small cable assembly that controls the indicator. It is spring loaded, and when released the spring pulls the indicator over past the 2 position.

What I found was the adjuster bracket was broken. It is a TINY white bracket. I was able to hold the outer sleeve with a zip tie and then use the little dial wheel to adjust the indicator back to the proper position.

Here are a couple pics I took while under there. The lighting sucked, but it shows you what to look for and where to place the zipties.

The bracket was supposed to keep the cable casing held in position and the dial adjusted it. When the bracket breaks the cable slips down into the casing and your indicator is off. If you look above the zip ties you can see the small black adjusting wheel. Put the ties between the casing and that adjuster wheel. Then all you have to do it be in two places at once to adjust the indicator while watching it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals