• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission doesent like to shift

kurama49

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi, i have just bought another 90 ranger. It's solid, but the transmission, you need to feel for the gears kind of [automatic] it will stay in first, then you need to put the transmiission into the 2nd gear slot and it will shift, then back into drive and it will go into 3rd. it also likes to shift in and out of gears. Could too much tranny fluid cause this?... cause it does have a bit too much in it.. by a bit i mean alot. it is also 4x4. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
To much fluid will kill your trans,it puts the fluid level up into the moving parts and whips air into it. Use a clean piece of hose down the dipstick tube and siphon some out.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
x2, too high of fluid is bad. be sure to check when engine is running and transmission in park.

Kick down broke from the firewall on mine (my fault), and sort of did what you describe, wouldn't shift into second. I would look at that, and also the vacuum line that goes to the modulator. Or even might have a modulator going bad. But check the easiest and cheapest first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals