• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission cross member Warning & Information

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's may be true but not necessarily the case. Jacking the diff means the load is distributed differently. The load is pushing down on the outside of the axles while the support is in the center, which looks to bend the axle housings. I'd bet there's deflection of the axle by jacking at the diff., which the axle may be able to withstand if it's beefy enough. Actual experience is important but I'm not sure if engineering would support differential jacking.
I concede that jacking at the diff will change the stresses on the axle, but the weight to strength ratios of the axle on most trucks vs the weight of the rear of the truck makes the change in stress fairly negligible.

I have had my truck airborne, come down hard, and not damaged the axle. This is a 7.5, which isn't particularly strong as axles go. I have seen a 9.75 get bent by a kid and all the old seasoned techs were standing around trying to figure out what kind of force it must have taken to do that.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
They get lifted everyday at every shop around the world that uses drive on hoists with center lift jacks by the center of the diff.

I do it day in and day out....as does everyone else that works at the dealership I'm at.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some vehicles have offset diffs which would make things goofy to jack from.

Other vehicles have the diff cover actually stick down over the case (Fords usally don't) and you will mess the cover up.

I only jack per side, I had an incident a couple years ago with both rear wheels off the ground and off the truck. Things shifted somehow and it ended up with the axle on the ground and the bedside against the wall. I was under the truck shortly before it did that. Front wheels where blocked too, but it slid the blocks.

So now I try to do things one wheel at a time as much as possible. My brother is a Ford tech and irritates him because it takes longer but I don't care. :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Absolutely, diff lifting should only be done to install stable and safe supports on each wheel.
It wasn't by the diff, it was sitting jackstands when it fell off.

Major bummer because it pinned the jack between the spring and the floor. Had to get the loader tractor and pick the truck up by the hitch.

I just really don't like having more than one tire off the ground at a time.

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
I have repaired more than a few leaks from the rear cover because someone had misplaced a jack on the diff and bent the rear cover.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals