• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission cross member Warning & Information

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just thought I would let you guys know about an issue I fixed on a friends truck, (03 Ex-cab, Lowered 2-4, automatic), yesterday. It started out that he jacked up the truck to rotate the tires, he raised the front end of the truck by jacking up on the transmission cross member then put stands on the frame rails, then picked up the rear under the carrier on the axle. After rotating the tires he had a noticeable thump, he said it sounded like exhaust rub ect. He brought it over we put it on the lift & what was rubbing was the driveshaft on the tunnel. The trans crossmember actually bent upwards, into the tunnel. He had no problems prior to rotating the tires so we finally figured out that the jacking of the truck by the trans crossmember was what caused this. We took out the crossmember straightened it & then re-inforced it by welding in some 2 x 2 box tubing. The factory crossmeber was soft as butter, I could not believe how easy it bent. Any how just thought I would put this out there as a warning for other owners

DO NOT JACK UP YOUR TRUCK BY THE TRANSMISSION CROSSMEMBER. They bend very easily

JP02XLT

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My O3 also says don't jack the rear wheels using the differential. Only jack one side at a time. Another reason I won't buy another Ford - marginal engineering.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
My O3 also says don't jack the rear wheels using the differential. Only jack one side at a time. Another reason I won't buy another Ford - marginal engineering.
what? Your never supposed to jack ANY vehicle by the differential. I don't care what brand it is. your supposed to jack it up under the shock and place a jackstand under the axle. yea, ford has real marginal engineering alright...I know 3 people with chevys newer than 2002, all of them have issues my truck hasn't yet. Its a '97

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
92 Montero - FSM instructions, jack rear wheels at the differential. 85 Mazda - FSM - jack the rear wheels from the differential. Been doing it for 18 years on the Montero and did it for 20 years on the Mazda. Changing out flat tire - jack at jack points at four corners.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Jacking it up under the center of the diff isn't gonna hurt a damn thing...don't care what you say.

Also...the transmission crossmember isn't built to hold the weight of the truck..only to hold the transmission in place...of course you shouldn't lift the truck by it.

Last edited:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well yeah, lol. The reason why your owners guide says never to jack off of the differential is because it is not balanced enough to safely work under, or change a tire. Its not "marginal engineering", its a safety issue. Mechanically your truck can be picked by the axle housing all day everyday without issue.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
^You^:

what? Your never supposed to jack ANY vehicle by the differential. I don't care what brand it is. your supposed to jack it up under the shock and place a jackstand under the axle. yea, ford has real marginal engineering alright...I know 3 people with chevys newer than 2002, all of them have issues my truck hasn't yet. Its a '97
This

Jacking it up under the center of the diff isn't gonna hurt a damn thing...don't care what you say.

Also...the transmission crossmember isn't built to hold the weight of the truck..only to hold the transmission in place...of course you should lift the truck by it.
And this.

Now lets go do a little science experiment (I did this with a 99 Nissan sedan once):

Go jack your truck up by the diff. It can take it. Now jack the front up however you like. Now take all 4 wheels off, and jump up and down on the bed rail.

If you do this and you are lucky, you won't suffer enough brain trauma to prevent you from spelling "marginal engineering".

Ford has the best engineering of any manufacturer in the world right now. They have been better than GM and Chrysler for years and have gotten even better recently while Toyota and Honda (who are only bigger because they have more brands worldwide BTW) have both taken nose dives in the last 18 months.

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Lifting by the trans crossmember??? Wowwwww thats like the worst place to place a jack, directly in the center of the truck. Tell him to go to a salvage yard and get a new crossmember to get the drivetrain geometry back in alignment.

I usually lift the front of the truck by using a large jack under the center of the front frame crossmember, and then the back by the rear differential.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tell him to go to a salvage yard and get a new crossmember to get the drivetrain geometry back in alignment.QUOTE]

No need for a new cross member, we removed the cross member straightened it checked the drive line angles & then strengthened it with some box tubing & installed it & checked everything again. Its strong enough now to pick up the truck, but I still told him not to do this again.

Just posted this as to maybe keep someone else from doing something similar. He would have up the creek & looking for a cross member had we not had the tools & lift to check & repair this.

JP02XLT

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well yeah, lol. The reason why your owners guide says never to jack off of the differential is because it is not balanced enough to safely work under, or change a tire. Its not "marginal engineering", its a safety issue. Mechanically your truck can be picked by the axle housing all day everyday without issue.
FSM says no to differential housing as well, but I'm willing to agree it may be safety issue rather than structural issue. It's always easier to lift at differential with trolley jack in order to position proper supports.

Mechanically your truck can be picked by the axle housing all day everyday without issue.
No damage to axle or axle housing?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The axle is meant to hold the weight of the truck. It holds up the weight of the rear the whole time the truck is on the ground.

I've jacked hundreds of vehicles by the axle housing and never had structural issues. Only balance ones. There are even types of car lifts that are designed to lift the vehicle up by the axles.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
I beat the living piss out of my truck. Its been jumped, bumped, and done things it shouldnt have, but keeps asking for more.

If I cant ruin the housing by doing those things, lifting it slowly with a floor jack isnt going to do $hit.

The ONLY reason they tell you not to lift it by the diff is balance reasons.

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual

here is the solution

2 idea

3 idea
Ford Ranger 98+ Raised Transmission Crossmember

Last edited:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The axle is meant to hold the weight of the truck. It holds up the weight of the rear the whole time the truck is on the ground.
That's may be true but not necessarily the case. Jacking the diff means the load is distributed differently. The load is pushing down on the outside of the axles while the support is in the center, which looks to bend the axle housings. I'd bet there's deflection of the axle by jacking at the diff., which the axle may be able to withstand if it's beefy enough. Actual experience is important but I'm not sure if engineering would support differential jacking.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The axle is made from nearly 3" tubing having a wall thickness of at least 3/16". Jacking it up by the diff ain't going to hurt a damn thing on it. Like was already said, that statement was put there purely for safety reasons.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals