• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trans only goes into 3rd and 4th HELP!!!

SOCALRANGER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got a 1986 2.9l 5speed manual trans 2wd. The little ball on the bottom of the shifter lever fell off down into the trans. I could see it but could get it with the pliers so I moved the socket that the ball sits on down towards the seat. Fixed the bottom of the shifter so the little ball won’t fall off anymore. Now I can only shift into what I believe is 3rd and 4th gear have absolutely no side to side movement. Transmission was shifting just fine prior to the little plastic ball falling off. Did I screw something up when I moved the socket that it sits in? To wear it’s not aligned properly? Any help is appreciated. Also can anyone tell me what trans this is?

Attachments

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I don't remember seeing that little plastic gear laying there when I had mine apart?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don't remember seeing that little plastic gear laying there when I had mine apart?
Looks like the speedo cable gear. In the second picture you can see the drive gear below it.

to the OP; when you moved the ball socket, you must have gotten something out of place. Im not the expert on that. But you normally want everything to be in neutral when you remove/ install the shifter.

SOCALRANGER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks like the speedo cable gear. In the second picture you can see the drive gear below it.

to the OP; when you moved the ball socket, you must have gotten something out of place. Im not the expert on that. But you normally want everything to be in neutral when you remove/ install the shifter.
yeah that’s definitely the speedo gear down there and is where it’s supposed to be. That’s what I’m thinking is that I moved something out of line. Just trying to see if anyone had any suggestions to get it back to zero so to speak

SOCALRANGER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bueller...... bueller..... bueller....

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Bueller...... bueller..... bueller....
Patience please. We are all just volunteers and truck enthusiasts, plus its new year’s eve, basically still holidays. Response times may be slower than normal due to travels, family events, etc. it sometimes takes a while for the right person to see your thread.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need to put the transmission in NEUTRAL before putting the shifter back in

So block the tires and use a screwdriver or ?? to line up the 3 shift rods so they are centered(this give you the side to side shifter movement when in neutral)
Vehicle will roll when you are in Neutral so you can use that to confirm Neutral
And you make need to rock the vehicle back and forth to get it "out of gear" and back into neutral

One of your shift rods is not centered, so you can't get neutral so can't shift out of 3/4(one shift rod)

SOCALRANGER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You need to put the transmission in NEUTRAL before putting the shifter back in

So block the tires and use a screwdriver or ?? to line up the 3 shift rods so they are centered(this give you the side to side shifter movement when in neutral)
Vehicle will roll when you are in Neutral so you can use that to confirm Neutral
And you make need to rock the vehicle back and forth to get it "out of gear" and back into neutral

One of your shift rods is not centered, so you can't get neutral so can't shift out of 3/4(one shift rod)
I am able to get into neutral by moving the forks from the covers on the drivers side. Once I have it in neutral and put the shifter lever back in I still don’t have side to side movement. Is there a specific way to line things back up or??? I’m pretty sure that I misaligned something but I can get neutral

SOCALRANGER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Patience please. We are all just volunteers and truck enthusiasts, plus its new year’s eve, basically still holidays. Response times may be slower than normal due to travels, family events, etc. it sometimes takes a while for the right person to see your thread.
My apologies not disrespect intended

SOCALRANGER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I was able to get into neutral and now have all 5 gears except for reverse shifter won’t let me get it all the way over. Could it have anything to do with the way I repaired the shifter? It’s definitely much tighter now not really any slop. Found a nut that was close in size out it on the drill press and rounded it down then tacked it to the bottom of the shifter. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
maybe put some machinist blue on the weld and rounded nut... put it back together and work it around a bit. Then see if there are any marks on the weld that are causing your hang up.

SOCALRANGER

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger XL
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
maybe put some machinist blue on the weld and rounded nut... put it back together and work it around a bit. Then see if there are any marks on the weld that are causing your hang up.
That’s a pretty good idea I was thinking maybe it has something to do with my Mickey Mouse repair. Maybe needs to be ground down some more or something. I will say that there is virtually no slop in the shifter now so that’s cool. Just sucks no push it back for my reverse haha

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
When you are working on something, you constantly have to be aware of what's going on and how what your working on reacts. In other words, the tranmission broke and it acted a certain way. After you worked on it, it presented another set of problems. So it's obvious that whatever you did was part of the new set of problems. Coincidences do happen, but not very often. I am sure you will finally get it fixed.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I feel like the fact that the bottom is not spherical anymore is causing it to bind up. I would try to fully weld the piece on and then round it off and polish it.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
My apologies not disrespect intended
No problem. I just didn't want you to get discouraged if it took a bit longer to get your information. We love helping each other, solving problems and sharing information... among all the joking around.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals