• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny swap Q's

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
I need some help!!!!:icon_confused::icon_confused::icon_confused:

I'm swapping from an A4LD to a FM146 5-speed tranny. The reason for the choice is that I got it dirt cheap. My A4LD has officially blown up one too many times. It has to go.

My situation:
The FM146 didn't have the blocking plate(dust plate,Flex plate). Whatever its called. I've heard different people call it by different names. I know I need to replace the flywheel, starter, an possibly the ECM. I may also have to modify the wiring to plug in the reverse lights and NSS.

What year flex plates will bolt up to a 91 Explorer 4.0? Since the M5R1 trannies bolt up to the old 4.0 block, will the blocking plate also match up?

I can order one from a 2001 ford explorer sport, but don't know if it will fit.

Or, does anyone know websites I can get a blocking plate for an FM146. I haven't come across any in my local junkyards yet.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!:icon_hornsup::icon_hornsup:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well for starter, the block plate is more specific to the engine than the trans, so you want one for a 4.0 manual trans, not for an FM146. The one that would have been in front of a 146 would be more or less identical to the one you already have.

Secondly, you do know that a 4.0 is 100% going to tear an FM transmission up just as thoroughly as it has done to your A4LD, right?\

Finally, the "flex plate" is the piece that bolts to the back of the engine and the front of the torque converter on a vehicle with an automatic transmission. It takes the place of the flywheel. It is not the same as the block plate, which gets sandwiched between the engine and trans and locates the starter. An inspection plate is one that goes in the same general location as a block plate but is much smaller and can be removed with the engine and trans still bolted together. Just to clarify the confusion and misuse of the various terms.

Last edited:

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the website Senor Noob!!

adsm08,
I have had it with the A4LD. I couldn't pass on the FM146. I got it for $150 with 1354M t-case and d-shafts. The t-case is worth that alone!!!

I've been back and forth reading about the differences in transmissions M5R1, FM146, Mitsubishi, etc... Anything at this point is better than the grenaded A4LD sitting in my truck.

I figure by installing the FM146, all the hard work and set-up is already done(pedals, lines, electrical, etc) and I can easily upgrade to the M5R1 when/if the FM146 goes. The truck is not my DD, it's kind of my "test bed" for trying stuff out. I go out on the rocks for some fun, I break stuff...it happens. That's how you know you're doing it right!!! :icon_hornsup:

This will be a band-aid for a while until I can get my hands on a M5R1HD. I've read the forums and plan on making the "hybrid" with the lower 1st gear ratios. This will take time and $$$. In the mean time, I don't my truck to be out of commission while I gather parts.

Thanks for clearing up all the flex plate, blocking plate, plate, plate, plate:icon_confused: business!!! :headbang::headbang:

SO, now I'm off to find a manual trans blocking plate for a 4.0.

I appreciate the help!!!!

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
One last question.

Are the block plates interchangeable(manual trans) for the two versions of 4.0?

Thanks again!!!!

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Adsm was right and he has great advice if you take the time to listen.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals