• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

torque specs?

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i cant find the torque specs for the pinion flangs retainig nut and the the nuts that bolt the shaft onto the flange can any one help?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We need help!

i cant find the torque specs for the pinion flangs retainig nut and the the nuts that bolt the shaft onto the flange can any one help?
Give us a bit more information about the job you are attempting.. What are you doing with the pinion nut? That thing is sacred! We don't just mess with it out of bordom!
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Froggy just did it ask him if he still remembers, but you gotta adjust your backlash on your pinion nut before you tighten it or risk messing up your bearing. I think the torque specs on the pinion flange to drive shaft are 35 ft lbs.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i had to replace the pinion seal it was leaking bad. its already tore out and plan on putting it back together here shortly. thats why i asked the specs on so i can use a toqure wrench and make sure im not over doing it. how do you adjust back lash i believe you said?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There is NO torque spec for the pinion nut. The pinion nut sets the bearing preload on the pinion bearings. There is a collapsoble spacer or crush sleeve in there that achieves this preload. It has nothing to do with backlash. The pinion nut needs to go back on in the exact same spot you took it off from, unless you are going to remove the diff carrier and ring gear and remove the pinion and replace the crush sleeve and start over.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Actually you can tighten it down until it takes like 12-16 inch pounds to turn the pinion for preload if your using the same crush collar.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i put it in 30 ft pounds wich is around where i pulled it out from thread cout wise. i just hope i put enough thread lock on it so it dont back off

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals