• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tires/lifting

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Doesnt sound too difficult. I was actually thinking about pulling the carpet anyway and put in vinyl. Unless its too expensive, then i will just get new carpet. Any good sites for body kits?

Cant i just roll or fix my fenders to fit bigger tires with the 2" lift?

Last edited:

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that site hasnt been updated, however. I dont want to lift the body right now. Will do that eventually so i can hit the trails :)
I want to find out what size tires will still fit on the stock explorer wheels. I have doubts anything that i want above stock tires will fit.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Wow is all I can say.

7 pages for a simple 2" lift question.

To be honest. Since it sounds like you are not very mechanically inclined you have 2 options.
A) 2" body lift.
B) spacers under the front coils and shackles on the rear springs.

That will get you what you need. Period. End of story.

My Explorer with NO LIFT and 32" BFG A/Ts

Anything larger than one of the 2 lifts I posted earlier will be a lot of work for you including cutting and grinding a bunch of rivets. Since you are in Idaho, more than likely this will include rust.
Try the body lift and if you get that on without severing a limb then you can try another option.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
im learning to do things as i go, which is why i ask lots of questions, sorry if that makes you feel that way.....

Im going to do the coil spacer/shackle lift. Thats the easy way.

Are those 32"s on the stock wheels?

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It doesn't make me feel any way at all. Just amazed that a simple question can drag on for so long when there are only so many options.

Body lift= Loosen all the body mount bolts. Take one side completely off. Stick a scissor jack between the body and frame or a couple blocks of wood on a floor jack and slowly raise the body on the side you took all the bolts off of being sure to watch for electrical wires and hoses . Slip the pucks in and lower the body. Go to other side and do same thing. Tighten bolts up. Done.

Shackles= Take the 4 nuts off. Jack up on the bumper until you release the tension on them. Knock the bolts out. Jack up higher and put new shackles on. Let jack down. Tighten all bolts. Done.

Spacers= Jack front up and let tire droop. Take out nut in center of coil. Twist spring out. Take nut out of beam. Put 1.5" of spacers under it (this will give you 2" of lift--don't ask--it just will). Tighten back down. Jack up a little higher. Twist coil back in. Put nut back on in center of coil. Done.

Get alignment.

Those are stock Jeep Cherokee wheels in the picture. Only rubbing was the inner rear wheelwell at full stuff.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hehe ok thanks.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't make me feel any way at all. Just amazed that a simple question can drag on for so long when there are only so many options.

Body lift= Loosen all the body mount bolts. Take one side completely off. Stick a scissor jack between the body and frame or a couple blocks of wood on a floor jack and slowly raise the body on the side you took all the bolts off of being sure to watch for electrical wires and hoses . Slip the pucks in and lower the body. Go to other side and do same thing. Tighten bolts up. Done.

Shackles= Take the 4 nuts off. Jack up on the bumper until you release the tension on them. Knock the bolts out. Jack up higher and put new shackles on. Let jack down. Tighten all bolts. Done.

Spacers= Jack front up and let tire droop. Take out nut in center of coil. Twist spring out. Take nut out of beam. Put 1.5" of spacers under it (this will give you 2" of lift--don't ask--it just will). Tighten back down. Jack up a little higher. Twist coil back in. Put nut back on in center of coil. Done.

Get alignment.

Those are stock Jeep Cherokee wheels in the picture. Only rubbing was the inner rear wheelwell at full stuff.

Goodgame
+rep

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Must make u guys feel good to treat a newbie in mechanics feel like crap. Im learning and apologize if all my questions irritate you. Maybe i'll just stay on explorerforum.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
WTF ever dude. If you wanna be a crybaby about it go ahead. I wasn't trying to put you down or make you feel bad. I was actually trying a lot harder than everyone else to help you.

Instead of 7 pages of "you could do this or you could do that" and giving completely WRONG information, I summed everything up in ONE POST.

I even put up a picture of my own Explorer so that you could see I knew what I was talking about. Never once did I bad mouth you or anyone for that matter. Since I could tell you were not that mechanically inclined, I even came back in a second post and explained the mods to you damn near step by step so that you could pick which one you may want to tackle. I'm the kind of person that usually only takes advice from someone that has actually done what they are telling me. There are some on here that tend to trow out ideas even though they have never done what they are suggesting you do.

So dust the sand out of yer panties and pull up a chair and you may learn something.

Bennybooster was giving me props for spelling shit out for you. He knows I'm here to help anyone. You asked the question, I had the answer.

Last edited:

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok well sometimes things on forums can get misconstrued. I do appreciate the info u sent. What size wheels do u have on ur ex? Those tires r freakin awesome looking. Do u have any rubbing on the fenders at turning the front wheels to full left or right? Any speedometer issues? How r the stock gears with the tires?

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
In that picture I had stock Jeep Cherokee wheels that are a 15x7 with about 5" of backspacing. The tires were a 32x11.50 BF Goodrich All-Terrain. No rubbing in the front due to the different offset, the rear rubbed the inner fender at the top when the tire was fully stuffed. Speedo was off by about 5 mph and the stock gears were ok but 4.10 would have been much better.

I wheeled at Harlan, KY with the Explorer just as it sit in that picture. Other than dragging the rear u-bolt plates on everything and having an open front differential, I made it all weekend and only had to be pulled once.

<-----It's a little bigger now

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nice. The ex stock wheels i think have a 4.5 offset. Would that affect performance? The gear ratio is stock at 3.55's i think. Im not a total off roader, more for camping and fishing in backroads. Id like to get a slightly more aggressive stance without a big lift. Is the body lift really as simple as you wrote it down? Seems too easy lol!

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I found some coil spacers, now all I need are the shackles. Anyone selling any? Warn 153's.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
think you mean WAR 153's.. not warn, you had me confused so i would like to clear that up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals