• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tick/click/rattle after new header, plugs and wires installed

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Under load and at a certain rpm something is flexing and popping against something. On the driver's side, as Gaz mentioned, is the starter motor and block-off plate. I would start there.
I doubt your tech person had to do anything to the starter when he installed the headers or Y-pipe, but since you mentioned it was a PIA, maybe he had to do some cutting and welding -- I know when I had mine installed there was a lot of that going on.
Is your Ranger 2- or 4-wheel drive?
It’s 2WD. I’ll check that out. What I meant by PITA was the exhaust from the Y-pipe back had to be rotated a little and pushed to the side. I took it in a week later to have it rehung without the twist.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
It's really hard to hear it for me... but I think I may have heard it.

What I heard sounded like the starter drive gear was contacting the flexplate. I assume they took the starter out to install the headers. I would first ensure the starter motor is tight. If so... I might drop the starter and inspect the drive gear end and see if it is making contact. I would also roll the engine around by hand (starter removed) and inspect the flex plate for contact areas.
Definitely going to check that out, I appreciate it.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Any plastic splash shields loose underneath the engine?
No, I gave everything a good inspection up on the ramps last weekend.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Its definitely something stupid. Somethings barely touching something else somewhere along the exhaust. Or there is a socket floating around under your hood, probably a 1/4" drive 10mm.
I agree, and I’ve thought that the whole time, but I’ve given it a through look over a few times now. Obviously need to do it again. I can’t get it to do it except a few random quick times on a drive, never idling in the driveway or at any point if the RPM Erving while in P.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I agree, and I’ve thought that the whole time, but I’ve given it a through look over a few times now. Obviously need to do it again. I can’t get it to do it except a few random quick times on a drive, never idling in the driveway or at any point if the RPM Erving while in P.
Its in there, just gotta dig real good. You might find the rattle along the way otherwise. I once lost a bolt for a few weeks, until I finally found it doing something else. It was perfectly settled hidden in one of the crevices along the mounting bracketry that goes from chassis to engine. Only my smallest and strongest magnet was able to reach it. I wrapped the outside of it in electrical tape to keep it from sticking to other metal along the way.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So far I’ve:
Removed speedo gear. It’s not the speedometer cable
Swapped plugs, wires and coil pack. It’s not that.
Changed MAF & PCV, nothing.
Torqued all bolts down on exhaust
Check for anything loose including heat shields and everything around it. Not that.
Checked for any clipping, there isn’t any.
Don’t really know what to look for anymore. I’ve easily spent 6 hours inspecting everything 5 different times.

Last edited:

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Took it to a new mechanic (one that was open Saturday) and they were no help. They asked about my last tire rotation.. Does this noise (video a few posts back) sounds like something that could be wheel related? I’m so lost it’s ridiculous.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals