• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tick/click/rattle after new header, plugs and wires installed

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So just to preface this; 93 4.0 AT 138k.
These noises were non existent before this “new stuff”.
Hedman headers were installed last Thursday. Mechanic had to move the cats and exhaust a few inches to make the headers fit ( Y pipe was a huge pita).
Along with the headers I replaced the plugs and wires with a new set of motorcrafts. Since all that was installed I have a light tick that increases with rpm (this one might be normal as I know more noises are audible after the headers as the exhaust manifolds hold the sound much better), and a louder random sporadic click/tick/rattle that is completely abrupt and sounds horrible. It sounds like more of a rattle, almost like if you pulled out the dip stick and rattled it around in there really hard, and again randomly ( like tick-clack-tic-tic-CLACK-clack-tic). This also grows with rpm, but if I let off the gas and ease it back on it basically goes away and just comes back randomly (but usually with a load or going up a hill).
That noise seems to be random. I’ve check the wires and they’re secure, and in the right order. I’ve checked and double checked. I haven’t tested either yet, but they seem to be in order.
No CEL, or flash or anything of that nature. Hasn’t bucked, stumbled or misfired (as far as I can tell) at all, just the noise. Driven about 150 miles so far. It doesn’t do it when idling, or revving in neutral. Doesn’t make a deference whether it’s going over bumps or on flat even terrain.
I’m well aware that the time and money needed for the headers isn’t really justified, but I’ve had them forever and really just wanted to try them out.
From what I can tell there is no exhaust leak, or anything evidently wrong with any of the plugs and wires.
I’m at a loss here. I need to be able to drive to work everyday, and I can’t just take time off to diagnose, or take it in to be diagnosed. As a matter of fact I had to setup an appointment a month in advanced just to have them installed.
Anything stupid that I’m just missing, or what do y’all think I should do/check?
Y'all's advice is greatly appreciated. Gotten me out of more jams then I’d like to admit.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Heat shield/s around exhaust or cat loose?

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Heat shield/s around exhaust or cat loose?
No, and it sounds like it’s coming from driver side almost right inside the engine bay. It doesn’t do it when in Park/neutral so I can’t recreate it unless I’m driving it.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
JimRummy,
Let's just say we know what the ticking is and talk about the other noise.

Since your exhaust system was moved about a bit, do these strange random noise(s) happen when the engine is running but the vehicle is stationary? I would go underneath the truck and look for a loose exhaust hanger, heat shield or and part of the exhaust that could be touching the chasis.

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
JimRummy,
Let's just say we know what the ticking is and talk about the other noise.

Since your exhaust system was moved about a bit, do these strange random noise(s) happen when the engine is running but the vehicle is stationary? I would go underneath the truck and look for a loose exhaust hanger, heat shield or and part of the exhaust that could be touching the chasis.
No, it only does it while driving. Today it did it around 5am, and again at lunch, then nothing during the drive home.
Let it idle for 30-45 minutes when it was first done last week to let the paint burn off, and then again a few times over the weekend. Even with some strong revs it doesn’t do it. It definitely sounds like it is coming from inside the engine bay in the driver side, that’s why my first thought was the plugs/wires.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
JimRummy,
Take a good look at your Flex-plate; they can be warped, cracked or lose a tooth and make weird noises. The starter block-off plate can make noise too with a loose fastener or loose debris.

Last edited:

JimRummy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
So here is a video so you can hear one of the 2 noises it’s making:
Weird noise
The other noise usually follows that which is a lot of a rattling sound. Goes away when I let off the gas, and usually doesn’t come back.
It’s kind of hard to hear in the clip, it almost kind of sounds like the body moving and squeaking but it isn’t.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
Since headers we're recently installed, I would keep looking at anything around the headers, the "Y" pipe, the cats and their heatshields.

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
I just listened to it on the YT video you linked.
Have you done a compression test on all cylinders? Does the engine have it's full power, like it did prior to the header install? Could some object or debris be trapped somehow inside, causing the rattle? Did they torque everything correctly? Are they a reputable shop? Did you question them about this rattle?
Could someone of Fu..d up bigtime?. I don't doubt it. 🤪:poop::unsure:

If I may,,,, Today, You cant buy a sandwhich, without these ignorant Dumbo's screwing up your order. Just a few questions to ask. FWIW I have the same vehicle and engine. I have 132k miles on my Ranger.

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Its definitely something stupid. Somethings barely touching something else somewhere along the exhaust. Or there is a socket floating around under your hood, probably a 1/4" drive 10mm.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Under load and at a certain rpm something is flexing and popping against something. On the driver's side, as Gaz mentioned, is the starter motor and block-off plate. I would start there.
I doubt your tech person had to do anything to the starter when he installed the headers or Y-pipe, but since you mentioned it was a PIA, maybe he had to do some cutting and welding -- I know when I had mine installed there was a lot of that going on.
Is your Ranger 2- or 4-wheel drive?

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Its definitely something stupid. Somethings barely touching something else somewhere along the exhaust. Or there is a socket floating around under your hood, probably a 1/4" drive 10mm.
My thoughts too...

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Any plastic splash shields loose underneath the engine?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's really hard to hear it for me... but I think I may have heard it.

What I heard sounded like the starter drive gear was contacting the flexplate. I assume they took the starter out to install the headers. I would first ensure the starter motor is tight. If so... I might drop the starter and inspect the drive gear end and see if it is making contact. I would also roll the engine around by hand (starter removed) and inspect the flex plate for contact areas.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
It's really hard to hear it for me... but I think I may have heard it.

What I heard sounded like the starter drive gear was contacting the flexplate. I assume they took the starter out to install the headers. I would first ensure the starter motor is tight. If so... I might drop the starter and inspect the drive gear end and see if it is making contact. I would also roll the engine around by hand (starter removed) and inspect the flex plate for contact areas.
Good idea, I'd check that amongst other things, and or I'd call them and let them know the current situation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals