• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

throttle actuator

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
This is prob a dumb question whats a throttle actuator? Chances are i prob seen one or delt w/ one but got a different term. asked the guy at auto zone which aint a good source he searched it and couldnt find it. Im askin cause im building an ignition system off a early model f150 (70s style) carbed and referring to wire schematics in the book for my system... Question 2. got a module for that truck n 2 harnesses come off it one goes to my distubitor and on to the coil the other goes else where and am not planning on using it, my books up the shop or id explain where it went but does it close down the whole module if im lacking any connections or will it run with only a distributor hooked up? thanks for reading!

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure about q. 1, but q. 2 - is it a duraspark setup? Find a schematic on images.google.com or some search engine, it will show you if you need the wires are not (but I am guessing that you will).

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Q1 sounds like the actuator that pushes on the throttle when the a/c is turned on.
Q2 There is a two wire plug (one red one white) that will need to be hooked up.
The red wire gets a key hot and the white wire gets a cranking hot.
Hook the red one up so that it is hot when the key is on
Hook the white one up to the starter solenoid so it get hot while you are cranking the starter.
Hope that all this helps.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/DurasparkII.html all you need is distributor with three wires and a module and the easy way is to get a stock square coil from a early 80s ranger so you dont need the resistor just wire it to the key on with the module and the start circuit will adjust he timing for a quick start and get some plugs that will handle the higher voltage say a 80s motorcraft plugs for a 5.0l. watch out it bites if you get too close. It is a cheap way for a good dependable spark

huntin_muddin_91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/302 v8
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info! but like a typical build plans change w/ the weather long story short i waited for the parts to come in was shootin for all p[lugs and no wire splices my distributer had different female plug than module come to find out a-zone ordered wrong one affter running into some joe and askin to pop his hood in walmart parking lot he had same idea (but his was running/driving) he had a different module than i had so went back to the zone w/ all my parts and a bad attitude junked the whole set up and went w/ points distributer like i originally planed if i hadnt had the other one laying around. thats what you get for trying to cut corners i guess... thanks alot though for reading and posting!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You always still have the option to do the duraspark. The dizzy needs three wires and the module needs the blue grommet with two connectors a 4 and 2 wire female. If your lucky you can get the parts for cheap at the bone yard with the harness.4 wire for the dizzy all you need to find is the ground wire the other two are for the pickup coil and can be reversed the green goes to the coil then get the start and run correct for the two wire. just make sure the coil can run on battery voltage or you will need to put a resistor in to keep from burning out the coil. A friend of mine is building a F-250 and with the duraspark you can set a cup of coffee on the engine and it barely makes a ripple.http://reg.versiontracker.com/1318-4_133-179.html?e=iENqfZp8unm1b3UTe2rtzpQ00PC0E9EZHe+xXHFo1JQAzwfmy2KBULAw44VfSo5QLh+/fY4AqsVB4HFN5PhwPA54RRpLrIic
http://reg.versiontracker.com/1318-4_133-179.html?e=iENqfZp8unm1b3UTe2rtzpQ00PC0E9EZHe+xXHFo1JQAzwfmy2KBULAw44VfSo5QLh+/fY4AqsVB4HFN5PhwPA54RRpLrIic

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about the links I looked up the part numbers for a 78 5.0l 302 you need to know what type of cam you have steel or iron for the cam gear.
module F-102
dizzy 30-2899 iron and 30-2831 steel
cap F-954
rotor F-955
adaptor F-958
I recommend any stock coil from any 80s TFI ignition square coil they work on battery voltage and use the motorcraft plugs for the 5.0l TFI system and you will wire it the same as the first color diagram in the tech library under duraspark conversion

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals