• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about it.

86rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Since my 86 Ranger needs a new motor, i figure might was well drop a 302 in there. as this will be my first swap, I was just wondering if there is any way that i can run it with no ecu. also wanted to know what would be the best manual transmission to go with.

thanks in advance.

86rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
No ECU would be carb'd.
yeah i know that. i was planning on a 4 barrel. just needed to know what all was involved. i know im going to have to wire up my own gauges. the biggest factor is what manual transmission to use.

mike732

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can still use factory guages or lights, without the ecu...

86rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You can still use factory guages or lights, without the ecu...
i plan on doing my own dash. so im gonna make my own cluster.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
In Kalifornia ? :icon_confused:

86rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
In Kalifornia ? :icon_confused:
haha yes in california. yes i know emissions laws blah blah blah. this truck is going to be trailered where its going. basically this is being built so i can get into some offroad racing. currently looking at the rules and regs to determine how im going to set the vehicle up.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well you have an 86 right? Should already have a carb on it with no ECU. If not,, then it's easy to convert to a carb, just need intake, carb and a distributor (Duraspark, or a Points unit fitted with a drop in electronic unit) which 302 are you looking at swapping ? If it's EFI now, you'll also need to either step down the fuel pressure for a carb, or run a new system (fuel pump, lines and a regulator for an electric pump)

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well you have an 86 right? Should already have a carb on it with no ECU. If not,, then it's easy to convert to a carb, just need intake, carb and a distributor (Duraspark, or a Points unit fitted with a drop in electronic unit) which 302 are you looking at swapping ? If it's EFI now, you'll also need to either step down the fuel pressure for a carb, or run a new system (fuel pump, lines and a regulator for an electric pump)
no, efi started in 86

if it were me, id run an np435 with a v8. putting a carbd 302 in to your truck should be to hard.

look at this page for 302 swap parts in a ranger/bronco 2:

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-317

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual

86rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
my truck is efi. and thanks for the link ill check it out. i plan on running a new fuel system with it. not sure on which 302 yet. basically want to find a block and build it myself. that way i can do it slowly as i make money buy the parts. what would you say the best 302 for the swap would be?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even '83-85's V-6 Rangers with a carb had a ECU. It wasn't pretty. :no2:

'85 was the last year for a carbed 2.8 as the big motor, '86 debuted the EFI 2.9.

Being in CA, you will want to check the laws for what hoops your truck will be required to jump through and deciding what engine setup will be the best and doing it from there.

Last edited:

86rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Even '83-85's V-6 Rangers with a carb had a ECU. It wasn't pretty. :no2:

'85 was the last year for a carbed 2.8 as the big motor, '86 debuted the EFI 2.9.

Being in CA, you will want to check the laws for what hoops your truck will be required to jump through and deciding what engine setup will be the best and doing it from there.
i still have to abide by the laws if its gonna be an offroad/track vehicle? i thought that the laws were for the street driving? according to ca smog regulations you have to go thru B.A.R to do an engine swap if your driving it on the street and you want it to pass smog. Law states that you can only use a motor of the same year of the vehicle and no older, but you can go newer. Im sure if i was going thru B.A.R they would make me have FI and a computer as well. but like i said this is a truck thats not going to be driven on the road.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals