• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about an Xterra vs a Ranger.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Do you think the Nissan Xterra is a better trail rig than a used Ranger?

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you're asking on a forum full of ranger owners, i cant really see you getting unbiased opinions...

i dont know a damn thing about xterra's, what appeal does it have to you as a trail rig? engine? trans? axles? tell us more...

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking for something for use on some serious off -road challenges including 5 rated rock crawling trails. I'm planning on some fabricated under-body plating, front winch mount and front/rear bumper/trailer hitches, 2" lift (no suspension mod), electric fan.

A coworker said you must be very careful and smooth on the gas to avoid diff problems(he busted the front diff. on his) - It was covered under extended warranty by Nissan(!!)

Why I am concidering the Xterra is the shorter wheelbase, 104.3", looks better, has greater towing cap. Can seat more people for the joyride, and has plenty of cargo room on the top. It is still in production, the design is dated, but it has a real frame underneath, no subframes here.

I'm looking at a '13 Nissan white Xterra, manual trans, 4x4. Planning for 185's General ATII grabbers and 2" lift by LevelLift; I'll make the full component of skid plates from the online pictures myself, easy to mount because of the truck frame.

Last edited:

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Xterras are great! If your a soccer mom.
A 2" lift will get you a "nice" mall crawler. If you look up off road trail rating, the mods your looking at doing are good for 2.5 - 3 rated tops. Your not going to do any "serious" off roading in a rig with a 2" lift and 185's
If your gonna dump enough cash to buy a 2013 rig and slap a wimpy lift, and 185's on it, I'd put the cash into something older and build an off road rig, the same money will build a good reliable rig.
I don't like Nissan's, buy a Ranger or Explorer, and start modding. I've personally not modded my ranger ( married, kids, first home...= no disposable income ?) but I'm very happy with it the way it is. There are lots of people here that can tell the the best way to get started.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wait, am I reading this right? The dude wants full underbody skid plates, wants to run on rock crawling trails, and wants to run 185's?

Wut.

If you want an SUV for the aspect of carrying passengers, get an older Toyota 4runner. Save money on the initial purchase of the vehicle, an get actual tires that will actually be able to go off-road.

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2011 xterra and it is pretty capable of road however the market just isn't there. I bought the xterra mostly for the wife but I drive it daily and don't feel like a soccer mom. In my opinion unless you get the pro-4x it's not worth it. Like anything else you could make it a bad ass trail rig but it Would be cheaper to build an older rig. Now don't get me wrong m xterra will be getting a lift and 33s but I know that my lifted b2 with 31s and lockers is more capable. The xterra was bought for its roomy enterior and it's increased towing capacity for pulling a pop up.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Sorry you won't be going up anything rated 4+ without 35s, lockers, suspension mods and ready for breakage and body damage

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2nd gen xterras come with 265s (31s) and it's very easy to fit 33s so I don't understand why you would go wjth 185s

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My ex-wife has one and while it been good to her I wouldn't be off roading it. You would be better off with a Ranger or Toyota 4runner if you need to haul people. An older 4runner would be something you could build.

rawrrediffer86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not a fan of xterra off roading they just seem more like a mommy mobile to me. If your in to wheeling go with a ranger light weight easy to maneuver around corners just an all around great truck. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Please educate me. "185s"? Are we talking about p185/60r14 type tire?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
don't let me be "that guy" but... if you want anything 2013 to do any rocks with, Jeep JK Rubicon wins that battle.

The new Xterras are nice for fireroads, fields, maybe even some basic overlanding type stuff. They'll do more than people think... but seriously? Level 5's? 5's at my local parts will not be done without at least 35's and both axles locked. Even then, you have to either be ramming it with 35's or driving it SUPER smart...

Broncojumper87

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
don't let me be "that guy" but... if you want anything 2013 to do any rocks with, Jeep JK Rubicon wins that battle.

The new Xterras are nice for fireroads, fields, maybe even some basic overlanding type stuff. They'll do more than people think... but seriously? Level 5's? 5's at my local parts will not be done without at least 35's and both axles locked. Even then, you have to either be ramming it with 35's or driving it SUPER smart...

^^^^^this

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
I like the style of the older Xterras, like first and second gen(?) and the fact you could get one with a factory supercharger. Those are smaller and would be more nimble on the trail to start with than the newer ones.

But I'm with everyone else. I think you have some very high expectations for what you are wanting to do with the plans you have.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think he ment 285s

but i have to agree i would love to have a new xterra for mall crawler/ mild wheeler but some thing u want you are going to have to run a solid front axle and at least 35s and lockers.

have you thought about a bronco II?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals