• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Shiftster

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ordered one several years ago. It came quickly. Quality is good. I added a detente for neutral for flat towing. He was not doing business for awhile but AFAIK is back at it.
I've had it in my race truck and most recently in my 94 Ranger. I just pulled it out last week as I fixed the wiring for the electrical t-case motor. It's dirty but in good shape.
Where is the neutral position? I would hazard a guess it's opposite the 2WD, but I'd rather know for sure. I have a 2002 I want to flat tow.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where is the neutral position? I would hazard a guess it's opposite the 2WD, but I'd rather know for sure. I have a 2002 I want to flat tow.
Yes, it is opposite 2H

Picture here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/rebuild_transfer_case_shift_motor/rebuilding_a_ford_transfer_case_shift_motor-2.JPG

Shift rod only rotates 270deg from 2H to 4L, 90deg to each position, 2H 4H Neutral 4L
Shift rod is pointed at 2H in picture

Be careful, when you move shift rod to Neutral truck will ROLL AWAY

Last edited:

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks, for some reason I thought the 2H was at 8 o'clock instead of 9. I had my F150 apart to fix a bad contactor and that was the way I remembered it. Haven't pulled the Ranger apart yet. I would rather do the software thing, but I find NO unused connector under the dash of my '02 for the light, and towing several thousand miles at a crack with no way to know is just not in the cards.. Getting Neutral will soon become a must have, so this looks like the alternative.

It would appear that Shifster is no longer in operation, But I have a friend that has a 3D printer. Not sure if I'm going to do a knob down on the transfer case, or put a triangle to 1/4" adapter and one or two flex shafts on it to bring the knob up into the cab. Somebody else was using some hydraulic hose for the actual twisting, but I think I will use it as a protective sheath for the 1/4" flex extension. Will be interesting to see how it comes together.

May hit the junk yard and sang a shift motor to make an adapter.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Behemoth Drivetrain used to make an electric to manual shift kit but don't see it listed any more

EDIT: found it here: https://behemothdrivetrain.com/product/electric-to-manual-shift-kit

They were about $450 last time I looked, a bit pricey now, but looks well built

You do need detents to hold shift rod in place if you install your own adapter

The shift motor has a contact wheel that turns when motor turns, this is how the "Control" knows what position transfer case is in at all times, at key on it see what contacts are open and closed so it "knows"

And that how the Green light worked, when contacts were correct for Neutral the Green light came on, same as 4high or 4low lights on dash

If you wanted you could high jack motor wires to disable "Controller" from moving the motor, and allowing you to move it

I think the "controller" sends out 5v or 12v on the Yellow/white wire, pin 8
Then it watches which of the other 4 wires is sending back that voltage(closed contact) or not sending it back(Open contact)
Looks like you could use Pin 7 Orange/white wire
Add LED to that wire, so it would be OFF in 2WD but be on in 4H, then it you manually move shift motor counter clockwise, when LED goes off, STOP, you would be in Neutral
If you get lost just return control to the system and turn key on, it would move back to 4High or 2WD which ever position the dash switch was in

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Anyone know how to buy the Shiftster?
Not really. Just Google it as best you can. When I bought mine, years ago, he was selling them through a third party sales website. I don't recall which one. It took me about 5 months to get it because he just made small batches, then had to wait for parts to come in. The last person I recall here trying to get one may have been unsuccessful.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I blame FoMoCo for NOT putting the manual t-case lever in my '99... just a few years later they realized their sins and revived the manual shifter, but only in the so-called "FX4 Level II"... that's trim-level discrimination right there... Civil Rights violation? :rolleyes:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I blame FoMoCo for NOT putting the manual t-case lever in my '99... just a few years later they realized their sins and revived the manual shifter, but only in the so-called "FX4 Level II"... that's trim-level discrimination right there... Civil Rights violation? :rolleyes:
I have a manual t-case lever in my '99 :cool:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Bragger...
:ROFLMAO:

do you have a thread showing the major surgery involved?
I didn't really make my own thread. Just piggybacked on lots of other threads and articles from years past. Explorer donor for engine and transmission, then an F-150 for the transfer case. Driveshafts were a combination. Cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and figure out a way to trim it back in.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have to manually push the button in mine.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have to manually push the button in mine.
Well that's because you're a lazy lush... *I*, being a monly-mon, have to (NOT making this up) TURN A KNOB!

Oh yeah, Carpal Tunnel risk right there... take the risk!... face the peril!

vigness

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm in the process of making a MK2 version. An adapter at the transmission and a flex cable to bring it up into the cab. Looks like it will be a simple job if I can ever clear my honey do list a bit for some spare time.

95snowflake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, so I have actually created a 3d model and I’m going to share the .stl file for anyone that has a 3D printer, or a buddy with one. It’s my own spin on the knob in the title of this forum. Since it’s unavailable to buy a shiftster, I made one and it has helped me keep 4wd until I can get the funds to do something different with my drivetrain. I will post it in a couple of hours.
Hope this helps somebody!

95snowflake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
As promised, Here is the ever-evasive shiftster that many will steer you away from. However, In a time of need, this will get you out of a pinch.

It's been a long time since I have printed this, so I don't remember my settings. Print as you see fit, but I would recommend at least 20% infill.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals