• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The New To Me F100

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
So I went out and was getting ready to remove the bed from the truck because the front floor of it is rotted completely out and I saw these coil springs on the rear along with shock and leaf springs. Are these supposed to be here? They look like only the weight of the truck is holding them on but they have rubber bushings on the tops to hole them in place.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
EDIT: If anyone can find me some info on this truck using the VIN please do I can't get anything to come up with it.
VIN>>>> F10HCT43832 carfax say its to short the be a VIN # but the badge on the door says VIN next to this number
That's because it is too short to be a VIN.

They still called it a VIN, but it isn't like modern ones. It's only 13 to 15 digits instead of 16, and it functions as more of a serial number.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So I went out and was getting ready to remove the bed from the truck because the front floor of it is rotted completely out and I saw these coil springs on the rear along with shock and leaf springs. Are these supposed to be here? They look like only the weight of the truck is holding them on but they have rubber bushings on the tops to hole them in place.

Ah, helper coils.

They usually get put over the shocks to form a primitive strut. My guess is that the leafs are getting weak.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
You mean the leafs were getting weak 25 years ago, LOL.

So a serial number and a VIN number aren't the same thing? Don't they serve the same purpose?

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
You mean the leafs were getting weak 25 years ago, LOL.
I agree with Tonka the truck sat since 1989 so I guess the spring were getting weak when they parked it. I assumed it was like an overload spring if they were supposed to be there.

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, it's been a few days since I posted an update but there's not much to update. I just bought a brand new Holley 600cfm Carburetor to put on the truck hopefully tomorrow morning. I also picked up a new ignition switch and put it in since I didn't have a key for the truck. If all goes well I'll be getting the last of my fuel lines done and be ready to start the truck tomorrow evening or Friday sometime.

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
After sitting for so long I'd go through it really well before firing it up.

I'd change the oil & filter in that thing, using cheap oil because it won't be in there very long before it's changed again. Find a way to attach strong magnets to the somewhat-flat bottom of the oil filter. Do you have an old junk computer hard drive you can smash open? There's some really strong rare-earth magnets in them.

After the oil change, crank the engine for a good 30 seconds with the spark plugs removed and the ignition coil wire removed. (make sure you tag the plug wires so you don't get the firing order mixed up.) Removing the spark plugs will prevent flooding and enable the engine to crank faster and let the oil pump work better. It will also let you crank the engine longer before the starter gets hot or the battery gets slow. I'd do this with a charger/booster hooked up to save the battery from deep discharge, especially since it'll be a brand new battery.

After cranking it for a while, put the plugs back in and re-connect the coil wire and give it a go. When it starts, run it at around 1000 RPM or so until it warms up. You'll get better oil circulation that way. After the engine is warmed up, before you drive it, check the trans fluid again.

I'm not sure how long it'll take for all the rust to rub off and make it's way to the oil filter but I'd change the oil & filter after about 30-45 minutes of engine running, using cheap oil again. Change it again after you have added about 500-1000 miles to the odometer, if it works, or 2 tanks of gas if it doesn't.

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
As far as "really going through it" heres a list of things that have been done already:
*Cleaned gas tank
*Cleaned and flushed out fuel lines
*Changed oil & filter using the cheapest I could find
*I have already spun the engine over with the starter several times but the carb wasn't on the truck
*I also have some Marvel's Mystery Oil resting in the cylinders now

**I also plan on putting an In-Line fuel filter right before the carb just to catch anything else that may be in the fuel system especially since I just bought a new carb**

***I did mark each plug wire and cylinder 1 thru 8 in the order I took them off***

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Was there a lot of crap in the tank and lines? Was the gas in the tank even still in liquid form?

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys got a BIG surprise today about the truck!!! The dash was covered in stuff from the PO and i finally cleaned it off and found an inspection sticker and sheet from 2002. So it hasn't been 21 years it's only been 9!!

Tonka, the gas was still in liquid form but smelled like strait laquer. Was strong enough to put you on your butt if you got a good wiff. Th gas lines were pretty clean considering the PO covered the lines when he removed the original carburetor. Went to try to turn it over to make sure I was getting fuel and my solenoid is bad and i need a carb spacer to lift the carb about an inch off the intake.

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
So after a new starter, solenoid, fuel pump, carburetor, air cleaner, battery, ignition switch I finally have the '73 about ready to fire up!! All thats left is to hook up the electric choke and the throttle to the carb. Possibly firing it up later tonight or early tomorrow

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good. Hey what's all that goop on the differential cover?

blh0007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
looks like a dirt dobber nest... to the op... cool project good luck with it.

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
THE TRUCK IS ALIVE AND RUNS GREAT!! i'LL GET A VID UP TOMORROW HOPEFULLY

TONKA, it is a "Dirt Dobbers" nest that they built on the diff its gone now

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hell yeah

Mr 85Ranger:

THE TRUCK IS ALIVE AND RUNS GREAT!! i'LL GET A VID UP TOMORROW HOPEFULLY
I'm glad to hear that!

Did you ever nail down which engine she has?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals