• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I finally broke down and got a little pistol now that Wis has the CC law. I did say little, it's a Ruger LCP 380. Haven't fired it yet but bought enough ammo to break it in. Small enough to carry in shirt pocket. Friend has one and loves it, he even sent a picture of it in his pants pockets.
Dave of the Nord

I've got one of those. They are a good little gun.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
nice score mac, i wanna get a little pistol like that for my wife.

i'm finishing up a side job this weekend and then i'll be ordering this little guy....

a Sig P226 9mm.....cant wait, it'll be my first handgun. a family friend works for sig and i'll be getting it brand new for $674.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
here's the 30-06 ammo that's dead accurate, and deadly... these and bthp is all i use. we reload our own. have about 800 rounds ready at any given time..

hornady a-max!

recommend them to any hunters out there for sure.

also the lever revolutions are great for lever actions. just don't know if they make them for reloads yet. all you could do was get preloaded ones..

Why in the 5th round from the left seated so much deeper than the rest? That is not going to do much for your shot to shot repeatability...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was at Cabelas yesterday and on their used rack they had a new 7mm WSM Savage that still had the stickers and hang tags on it, nice wood stock and scope rings (I bet they threw the scope in the bargain cave)... $370. :D

Hot dang so I go check out ammo because the round is kind of off the beaten path... $30-45 a box of 20, and the wide selection of two different ones to chose from. :bawling:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that's probably why it was on the used rack to begin with.....no thank you, i'll stick with a .223, .243, .308 or .30-06....that'll kill most anything short of a buffalo or an elephant.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Why in the 5th round from the left seated so much deeper than the rest? That is not going to do much for your shot to shot repeatability...
yeah, it's marked-- different. that's one i loaded for a friends gun, the length he needed was shorter than my savage 110.... but i swapped it out for one loaded for mine. :icon_thumby:

his 30-06, remington semi auto, jams if he uses my savage bolt action bullets.. so his are shorter.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I was at Cabelas yesterday and on their used rack they had a new 7mm WSM Savage that still had the stickers and hang tags on it, nice wood stock and scope rings (I bet they threw the scope in the bargain cave)... $370. :D

Hot dang so I go check out ammo because the round is kind of off the beaten path... $30-45 a box of 20, and the wide selection of two different ones to chose from. :bawling:

30-06 is where its at IMO, a new savage 30-06 is not much different pricewise http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/ but its not wood stock....

and i prefer my savage over my dad's abolt... :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am wanting to get a .270, even for whitetail and maybe antelope some would call that overkill.

Probably won't be a Savage in the end, but I was really excited on the way over to the ammo rack my fortune at finding a wood stocked rifle at black plastic price.

Why do they keep coming with these goofy calibers anyway? :icon_confused:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i like .270's.. i owned one. savage. but was offered twice what i payed for it! lol so i sold it since i had the 30-06 also.

i'm a huge savage fan! if you can't tell already. that savage 110 30-06 holds a tighter group of 10 bullets at 400 yards in a shooting vice than the browning a-bolt. wonder if i can find those targets to show yall...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ballistics and stopping power is the only thing i can think of. the flatter the trajectory, the better for your average shooter.

i like savage too, i have a .22 that i've put easily 20,000 rounds through and it still shoots like the day i bought it and it was half the price of a 10/22

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

complete w/ my paracord sling. love this gun!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ballistics and stopping power is the only thing i can think of. the flatter the trajectory, the better for your average shooter.
But there is nothing really groundbreaking about it, other rounds do the same thing. IMO if they cant sell enough of them to keep ammo prices reasonable then they shouldn't have come out in the first place.

I don't really know what I am going to do yet... I need to get a pistol worse.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
But there is nothing really groundbreaking about it, other rounds do the same thing. IMO if they cant sell enough of them to keep ammo prices reasonable then they shouldn't have come out in the first place.

I don't really know what I am going to do yet... I need to get a pistol worse.
no, it isnt groundbreaking at all....it's common sense. they are the same projectile with more powder behind it. thus, more energy and higher velocities which means a more stable bullet.

plus, a shorter overall catridge length means a shorter action, shorter barrel which equals less weight to carry around. to some, that's a good selling point. i could care less right now, i'm young, i can lug a heavy gun around the woods all day. my 700P weighs 14 pounds with 7 rounds in the mag. my grandpa would stop hunting if he had to carry that thing around.

dont get me wrong though, i agree with you. even if i had the money, i wouldnt buy one. i can buy 100 of my sierra matchking bullets for my reloading for that box of ammo.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i like savage too, i have a .22 that i've put easily 20,000 rounds through and it still shoots like the day i bought it and it was half the price of a 10/22
The savage 64s are clean freaks, still great rifles though

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Savage only shows 1/4 of a pound difference between a long action and a short action.

I also don't see the 7mm WSM listed on there. :icon_confused: :D

Just the .270WSM and .300WSM and they weigh the same as their fullsize counterparts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals