• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The gun thread...

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some specs on that AR please.
of course

80% lower from billet80.com
DPMS LPK
JP enterprises trigger springs
Magpul MOE+ grip
Magpul MOE Rifle stock
magpul MBUS flip up sights
magpul RSA
Lancer 20 round mag
unknown upper/ 16" barrel (sorry, got from a buddy and don't know maker)
YHM low pro gas block and gas tube
Midwest Industries 15" Gen2 SS handguard
Primary arms micro dot with UTG high mount
not pictured is a magpul MS3 sling
Then i painted the lower with Brownells Aluma-hyde 2 in OD

That is all I can think of at this moment...if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That is all I can think of at this moment...if you have any questions feel free to ask.
woody, what's the deal with those 80% lowers? i've seen them before. is more machine work required to get the rest of the parts to fix? i'm getting a sweet bench top mill in august from my wifes grandpa, so i was thinking of trying one.

do they require an FFL to transfer them like a normal 100% stripped lower?

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
woody, what's the deal with those 80% lowers? i've seen them before. is more machine work required to get the rest of the parts to fix? i'm getting a sweet bench top mill in august from my wifes grandpa, so i was thinking of trying one.

do they require an FFL to transfer them like a normal 100% stripped lower?

No they do not need an FFL transfer due to the fact that you are not purchasing a firearm.

You need to mill out the slot where the FCG goes, the hammer/trigger pins, the hole for the safety selector, then a hole where the trigger bow sticks into the trigger guard.

This is how you get the lower, just an aluminum paper weight.

Then the next step is finding blue prints and start milling (stold this pic from Hahn, we had a build party.)

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
awesome, thanks for the info. i'll keep that in mind. i'm gonna buy a 100% lower for my first build, but i think i'm gonna try an 80% for my second.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought that looked like Magpul tupperware on the lower. I've got a standard A2 stock on my lower with pistol grip from wally world, it works well so far but I will be upgrading the stock eventually. Running a JARD trigger group, but haven't gotten to shoot it much since it was installed. I did have a feed issue but I think that was due to running too dry, will hopefully know soon. Plan to take it out as well when I test the 1911.

The upper is what I was really interested in. Standard 5.56/223 cal upper? That hand guard makes it look a lot longer than 16 inches. I eventually want to build a larger cal upper with free float tube for mine, when I get around to it I might just use that one.

I commend you in your patience to tackle the 80% lower. I don't have the resources at my disposal to tackle that, and if I did I'm not sure I would have the patience.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought that looked like Magpul tupperware on the lower. I've got a standard A2 stock on my lower with pistol grip from wally world, it works well so far but I will be upgrading the stock eventually. Running a JARD trigger group, but haven't gotten to shoot it much since it was installed. I did have a feed issue but I think that was due to running too dry, will hopefully know soon. Plan to take it out as well when I test the 1911.

The upper is what I was really interested in. Standard 5.56/223 cal upper? That hand guard makes it look a lot longer than 16 inches. I eventually want to build a larger cal upper with free float tube for mine, when I get around to it I might just use that one.

I commend you in your patience to tackle the 80% lower. I don't have the resources at my disposal to tackle that, and if I did I'm not sure I would have the patience.

Yeah it is chambered in 5.56 1x9 twist, M4 feed ramps, I just dont know who is the manufacture of the items.

I was having a major feeding/ ejecting issue do to the fact that my gas block was misaligned, fixed that and it now runs flawlessly.

These hanguards are amazing, its really light and thin and do not transfer a lot of heat to the shooters hand. They do make a bigger diameter guard if that is what you prefer.

Yeah milling out the lower took a long time. Lots of math...checking math...re-checking math, getting it perfectly flat on the mill (I failed at that and milled out my trigger pin holes a little crooked, so my trigger pull is a tad heavier then it should be). After all that you still have a crap ton of material to remove. But in the end it is rewarding to have a rifle that you made yourself, that works great.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i thought they made jigs that you can use to cut out every hole that you'd need? was that not an option?

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i thought they made jigs that you can use to cut out every hole that you'd need? was that not an option?

Yeah, they do make jigs, but they are expensive. We opted to do it all ourselves. I really wished I got the jig for trigger/hammer pins and the safety selector switch. If you have a set of blueprints and can use a calculator everything else is fairly easy.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah i've seen them on a couple sites, i just wasnt sure if you could always use them. i've got a few buddies at work that are into AR's, i need to see if they are interested in splitting up the cost for the jigs when i get my mill and then we can all use them. thanks again for the info

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No they do not need an FFL transfer due to the fact that you are not purchasing a firearm.
How does that work out legally? Special license to buy? Can never sell it and hope to god it is never stolen or do you have to take it somewhere to get a serial?

It would be a lot of fun to do if you have access to a mill...

Last edited:

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How does that work out legally? Special license to buy? Can never sell it and hope to god it is never stolen or do you have to take it somewhere to get a serial?

It would be a lot of fun to do if you have access to a mill...

Copy/Pasted from the ATF website, I also printed this off and keep a copy in the buttstock of my rifle just in case. If you choose to you can serialize it.

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?

Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA
provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or
possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic
rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39.
In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.
An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing
that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency
(18U.S.C.§ 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

Last edited:

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i've seen them on a couple sites, i just wasnt sure if you could always use them. i've got a few buddies at work that are into AR's, i need to see if they are interested in splitting up the cost for the jigs when i get my mill and then we can all use them. thanks again for the info

No problem, I also know that some places will let you "rent" the jigs. if you have a few people splitting the cost then i would go that route, i assume it would make the process a heck of a lot quicker.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well forgot to get pictures of the 1911, but did figure out that it has one major flaw...

ME!

Apparently, I've been away from shooting long enough that I've developed a flinch. The gun did fine, 60 rounds and 4 different mags with no hick-ups. Even managed to put most of them in the paper at about 10 yards. Yeah I know I need a lot of practice. I'll try to pull it out later and get a pic to put up.

Also took the AR out, the issues I mentioned above are gone. Shoots, great and feeds perfectly. Now I just got to do my part. Put probably about 75 rounds through it, and at least 45 of those as quick as I could pull the trigger. Not one feed failure.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got a pic of the new 1911

Metro Arms American Classic II

Ended up with a Blackhawk pistol and clip holsters, and three extra Chip McCormick mags from the one stolen from dad.

All stock for now I want to get grips like Woody has, or maybe laser grips. Maybe swap on a few more stainless parts.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals