• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

john weeda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 td; 1.9 tdi
Transmission
Manual
In 1998 I thank they came out with the frist tdi in canada. But the electronic injection started with the alh motter in 2000.5 to 2003 after 2003 i have not done to much reserch but most people say that the alh is the best tdi for a swap! The 1998 to 2000.5 tdi is not as easy to bump up the horse power and tourk. But the alh with electronic injection is easy to bump up with no engion mods just a so called chip

Last edited:

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Need more pictures. LOL Wish some of you fellow diesel swapers would start a thread with some pictures. Im curious to what the mpg on this beast are gonna be when you get it goin. :icon_bounceblue:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Mpg's will be above 40, he's thinking he will be about 45 mpg, well worth the swap...

SVT

john weeda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 td; 1.9 tdi
Transmission
Manual
1995 ranger with 1995 vw turbo diesel

The 1995 ranger with the 1995 vw turbo diesel is are daily driver and gets about 30 mpg so not that great but a lot better then the gas!

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I had to take a time out and finish the basement. Happy wife= happy life. :icon_thumby:

I've been working on a couple items on the side and will report on those soon...biggest one being a nice wiring how-to for other swappers of the electronically-controlled tdis.

The first year of the electronic motors was the 1z or ahu engine code in the 1996-1997 Passat and carried through to the 1997-1999 Jetta. The motor I used (ALH engine code) is by far the most common tdi out there and was used in the Golf, Jetta, Beetle from 1999.5-2003 (avoid the 1998 Beetles with the very early version of this motor).

In the mid 90's the only vw diesels around were in Canada and were non-electronic idi turbo diesels (TD, not TDI) with 1.9L displacement...engine code AAZ. This is likely the motor John used in his 95. Great motor and easy to swap due to lack of wiring BUT it also isn't going to have the economy or power of a true tdi due to the lack of the electronically-controled injection pump.

From the late 70's through to the early 90's the vw diesels were all idi motors with either 1.5L (very early) or 1.6L displacement. Later years they turbocharged them for a little more power but the majority of them were naturally aspirated with ~50hp...you gotta remember these motors were moving around 2000-2500lb cars.

I put together a nice chart to list out all the US tdi offerings. ("nice chart" is a hyperlink)

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
looking forward to that.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
for comparison

about 6000 pounds, 4.10 gears .8 overdrive automatic (4l80)

with 37 in tires i get about 15-16 at 70 mph plus with a tired n/a 6.5

best was knocking 25 mpg at 50-55 mph on 33 in tires when engine was tighter.

65 mph with 33 in tires brings 18-19's

the mileage really varies because i run blends of fuel to lower costs but i am really shocked the engine has lasted this long.

this vw engine would not work in my rig but be real good in the b2 so i am glad your taking the time to share.

i have to admit i am curious what my setup would drag the 1.9 vw engine down to in economy and if the normal load would drastically shorten its life. if its doing real good at 4500 pounds thats real promising for the b2. of course with the ranger my drag due to elevation and tire size is a bigger issue then the 6k weight.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
i have to admit i am curious what my setup would drag the 1.9 vw engine down to in economy and if the normal load would drastically shorten its life. if its doing real good at 4500 pounds thats real promising for the b2. of course with the ranger my drag due to elevation and tire size is a bigger issue then the 6k weight.
bobby, I think the best you'd be able to muster is 30mpg with your setup. 6000lbs, huge lift and massive tires are all atypical mileage mods. :D

For a data point, vw installed this same motor in the vw Crafter (think Dodge Sprinter) as well as their transporters with gvwr's in the 10,000lb range. To get back your longevity you offset the load on the engine with gearing which becomes a balancing act: you want lower rpms for best BSFC but you need to increase your rpms to reduce the stress on the motor for that given load.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to learn about your adapter plate and your plans of making more plates.
I'd be happy to discuss but I'd like a mod to approve of that sort of discussion here or if another forum section is more appropriate.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
bobby, I think the best you'd be able to muster is 30mpg with your setup. 6000lbs, huge lift and massive tires are all atypical mileage mods. :D

For a data point, vw installed this same motor in the vw Crafter (think Dodge Sprinter) as well as their transporters with gvwr's in the 10,000lb range. To get back your longevity you offset the load on the engine with gearing which becomes a balancing act: you want lower rpms for best BSFC but you need to increase your rpms to reduce the stress on the motor for that given load.
their idea of acceptable performance for those work type vehicles over there and ours are two different levels. my e350 is fine with hi teens low 20's comparatively. i like the sprinters, but performance wise my psd e350 looks like a top fuel dragster. flat hauling/non towing on fixed routes i will take the sprinter though....bastards get mid hi 20's at 75 mph!!

my ranger would murder the vw quicke then a bigger engine like i have no doubt....30 mpg i would not think......19 maybe....30 would be a miricle!

but the bronco 2 is very mild compared to the ranger, its smaller lower and lighter by a ton at least... i do see the tdi working happily in that thing and pulling decent mpg on 33 in tires and 410 gears.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
their idea of acceptable performance for those work type vehicles over there and ours are two different levels. my e350 is fine with hi teens low 20's comparatively. i like the sprinters, but performance wise my psd e350 looks like a top fuel dragster. flat hauling/non towing on fixed routes i will take the sprinter though....bastards get mid hi 20's at 75 mph!!
Oh no doubt, performance is a no contest. I was just referencing those vw's/sprinters as a data point for small displacement diesels moving around a big/heavy vehicle. They make up for the power disadvantage with shorter gearing.

john weeda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 td; 1.9 tdi
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I had to take a time out and finish the basement. Happy wife= happy life. :icon_thumby:

I've been working on a couple items on the side and will report on those soon...biggest one being a nice wiring how-to for other swappers of the electronically-controlled tdis.

The first year of the electronic motors was the 1z or ahu engine code in the 1996-1997 Passat and carried through to the 1997-1999 Jetta. The motor I used (ALH engine code) is by far the most common tdi out there and was used in the Golf, Jetta, Beetle from 1999.5-2003 (avoid the 1998 Beetles with the very early version of this motor).

In the mid 90's the only vw diesels around were in Canada and were non-electronic idi turbo diesels (TD, not TDI) with 1.9L displacement...engine code AAZ. This is likely the motor John used in his 95. Great motor and easy to swap due to lack of wiring BUT it also isn't going to have the economy or power of a true tdi due to the lack of the electronically-controled injection pump.

From the late 70's through to the early 90's the vw diesels were all idi motors with either 1.5L (very early) or 1.6L displacement. Later years they turbocharged them for a little more power but the majority of them were naturally aspirated with ~50hp...you gotta remember these motors were moving around 2000-2500lb cars.

I put together a nice chart to list out all the US tdi offerings.
when do you thank you will have something like this ready? do you have any updates for use on the process of your truck?

SVTranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
So interested. Great work, I just read all 14pages how did i miss this

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I keep hope'n for video or more pics. I have my eye out for a new ranger for doing this swap. I know a site thats a ranger site that would allow you to sell the adapter. If interested, pm me. We just added a turbo diesel section.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals