• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I just got back from the dump in my 94 B4000, SC, 4X4, auto. Tipped the scales almost exactly at 4000lb. She handled the 1700lb in the bed pretty well.:icon_thumby:

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You didn't take the engine there did you?

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I just got back from the dump in my 94 B4000, SC, 4X4, auto. Tipped the scales almost exactly at 4000lb. She handled the 1700lb in the bed pretty well.:icon_thumby:
I have a 89 SC 2wd that I swapped in a Kubota 2.2 diesel with turbo and had an engine, tools, parts etc. Scaled at 4500lbs, handled just fine, pulled great and delivered 36.45 mpg, not bad.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 89 SC 2wd that I swapped in a Kubota 2.2 diesel with turbo and had an engine, tools, parts etc. Scaled at 4500lbs, handled just fine, pulled great and delivered 36.45 mpg, not bad.
Your truck is still awasome. I'm a huge Kubota fan

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I was surprised how well it handled the weight (scaled at 5600+ on the way in). I'm really hoping my Ranger ends up in the 3000-3300lb range when I'm all done.

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine scales at 3500lbs with me and 1/2 tank of fuel. My motor is probably a little heavier than yours. Looking foreward to you getting your rig on the road and seeing what you get in mpg's, very nice work!

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mine scales at 3500lbs with me and 1/2 tank of fuel. My motor is probably a little heavier than yours. Looking foreward to you getting your rig on the road and seeing what you get in mpg's, very nice work!
You and me both! Do you have an idea how much your Kubota weighs? We use quite a few of them at work but mostly the smaller displacement motors.

john weeda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 td; 1.9 tdi
Transmission
Manual
Cool

I have been coming on the forum two to there times per day to see how you are making out with the swap but you must be on a brake

i have a 1995 ranger with a 1995 turbo deisel in it works great
i to am puting a tdi in to a 2004 ranger 4x4 love your tread only found it a few days ago and read the whole thing in one sitting. love the fact that you have videos. You are right at the cilmax and its stopped; please keep us up to date!

buy the way my trucks are both using the 2.3L ranger trany. the starter is on the pasanger side so it fits under the turbo. For the four wheel drive im using the 2.3L gears and the back half of the 4.0 letter trany so the transfer case will bolt on.

keep use posted! And thank you GreenGeeker for the great thread

Last edited:

joecool85

Reaction score
I have been coming on the forum two to there times per day to see how you are making out with the swap but you must be on a brake

i have a 1995 ranger with a 1995 turbo deisel in it works great
i to am puting a tdi in to a 2004 ranger 4x4 love your tread only found it a few days ago and read the whole thing in one sitting. love the fact that you have videos. You are right at the cilmax and its stopped; please keep us up to date!

buy the way my trucks are both using the 2.3L ranger trany. the starter is on the pasanger side so it fits under the turbo. For the four wheel drive im using the 2.3L gears and the back half of the 4.0 letter trany so the transfer case will bolt on.

keep use posted! And thank you GreenGeeker for the great thread
What engine are you using for your 1995 diesel?

john weeda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1.9 td; 1.9 tdi
Transmission
Manual
1995 wv turbo diesel 1.9 from the crank back is all ford flywheel starter cluch is all ford. And and in the 2004 tdi alh vw 1.9.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not familiar with vw diesels, but I'm thinking about doing a similar swap. What year dud the TDI go electronic injection?

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals