• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

switch panel question

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i built a panel with 6 toggle switches. they are to power relays for radiator fans, tranny cooler fan, lights, yada yada. i planned on bringing the power to the panel from the fuse box (via add-a-circuit). my question is do i need to wire the switches in series or parallel? i been searchin for days and cant find the answer. thanks guys.

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i would do parallel because if you do series bad things can happen. if one thing went out all of them would go out. each switch should have its own power and fuse

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i would do parallel because if you do series bad things can happen. if one thing went out all of them would go out. each switch should have its own power and fuse
^ this

never do series circuts always parallel

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
a fuse for each switch? i was told to run one fused power wire from the fuse box and daisy chain it to the (power in) pin on each switch. one fuse for the whole panel. :icon_confused:

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual

I paid about $60 for this one. Sorry for the poor quality.:dunno:

The labels are embossed into the panel.

PROJ--ALT--METH--LVL--FOG

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well if you do one fuse on the power in if you blow the fuse all of them will go out. fuses are cheap. just do it right

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
well if you do one fuse on the power in if you blow the fuse all of them will go out. fuses are cheap. just do it right
+1

Not only that, if you run only one fuse and that fuse blows, you won't be able to trigger your relays running your vitals, like your radiator fan, trans cooler fan, etc.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I used a 12g hot wire to power all the leds and then wired in a relay to each of the light circuits.

Never would I wire a radiator fan only to a toggle switch.:icon_confused:

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
+1

Not only that, if you run only one fuse and that fuse blows, you won't be able to trigger your relays running your vitals, like your radiator fan, trans cooler fan, etc.
true. thats why you can replace them. pop in a new fuse and off you go again. either way, atleast you have a fuse protecting that circuit. right??

I used a 12g hot wire to power all the leds and then wired in a relay to each of the light circuits.

Never would I wire a radiator fan only to a toggle switch.:icon_confused:
i never said anything bout wiring a toggle to my radiator fan. i said they are to power the relays for the fans. i know not to power things directly through toggles. my toggles are only there to switch my relays.

what i want to know is, will this circuit work?

i have a fused power wire from the fuse box going to my switch panel. I daisy chained the power wire to each (power in) pin on each switch. i did the same to the ground pins and ran them to the body. ran the power out to the proper pin on each relay.

i know blowing that fuse will stop everything. but i could run the wire from the (not used) 5th pin on a relay to a dummy light on the panel to indicate when the fans are off. just to be safe. :dunno:

if having a fuse for each switch is the right way, then how would i put 5 more fuses coming off my fuse box?? seems like the fuse box is the best place to tap in to the power.

Last edited:

RavoHimself

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Get the inline fuses. Its a piece of wire with a replacable fuse in it. Any parts store should have them

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't be a lazy couch potato... just do what everyone else has said and run a separate fused wire for each switch.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i built a panel with 6 toggle switches. they are to power relays for radiator fans, tranny cooler fan, lights, yada yada. i planned on bringing the power to the panel from the fuse box (via add-a-circuit). my question is do i need to wire the switches in series or parallel? i been searchin for days and cant find the answer. thanks guys.

hmmm.....i wouldnt run power...or that many power wires for relay control....thats just stupid.

set up your relay bank near the battery or to its own little housing with a fat bastard power lead feeding it off the alt post or battery or whatever. run the loads through respective fuse block feeds with your relay bank pre relay and the power side of the relay switching to a key on source.

run the ground side of the switching of the relays to your toggles. this minimizes wiring work and risk of fire... your cooling fans are easily fitted to three way switches which allow on-off-auto modes with minimal wiring efforts.

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hmmm.....i wouldnt run power...or that many power wires for relay control....thats just stupid.

set up your relay bank near the battery or to its own little housing with a fat bastard power lead feeding it off the alt post or battery or whatever. run the loads through respective fuse block feeds with your relay bank pre relay and the power side of the relay switching to a key on source.

run the ground side of the switching of the relays to your toggles. this minimizes wiring work and risk of fire... your cooling fans are easily fitted to three way switches which allow on-off-auto modes with minimal wiring efforts.
there not all for relays. just 3 of them.

:shok: what?? that sounds nothing like all of the 12v wiring writeups i have been reading for the past month.

i am new to the wiring game. please elaberate in english.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals