• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sway Bar Breaking ABS Sensor

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, I figured I could get this done on my own, but I'm tired of replacing ABS sensors. I've got a DJM 2/3 kit on my 01 Ranger (Auto RWD with 4.0), rear shackle is on the inner hole and the front bump stops are pancakes so I'm sitting around 3/4. I bolted on a BII rear sway bar and at first everything was fine, but it ended up rubbing on the pumpkin and making my ride absolutely terrible. I re-positioned it and it started unplugging the rear ABS sensor on a good sized bump. I moved it again which has prompted it to start actually breaking the sensor. How are you guys clocking the sway bar mounts on the axle? I've been doing my adjustments on the ground at ride height for reference (yes I'm very skinny so I do actually manage to crawl under the truck)

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My solution to get the sway bar off the pumpkin:

I simply measured 3" up, and drilled new holes in frame. Bolted the links back and drove away with more/less stock geometry. (I only did 2/3" drop).

I am running the stock Ranger sway bar but I don't think the BII sway bar geometry is that different...

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure it's the same geometry. I thought about doing that, but I wasn't completely sure about it. I'll have to give that a shot when I put the truck up on the rack to drop the tranny for a rebuild. Did you drop the tank to do your drilling?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't drop the tank. I started with a small bit and slowly worked my way up on sizes, with a depth stop (aka block of wood) to prevent going too deep... I did unclip the electrical lines so I didn't hit them...no point in losing tail lights.

I did it all just removing the rear wheels and putting it up on jack stands. Don't have a rack :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals