• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted Sway Bar and Hardware

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Looking for a Ranger rear sway bar and the hardware/brackets for my 2009 Ranger. It's an XL with a 7.5 axle (don't know if axle brackets for the 7.5 and 8.8 are different).
Looking for the 5/8 or 3/4 inch bar. Bushings are not important as I can replace those.
Any of you that are parting out a Ranger, or see one at a Pick N Pull, let me know what you need for it and associated shipping to Va.
Time not important, no rush.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you pay the shipping I have a exploder sway bar on that 31 spline 8.8 lying around. Its gonna go to the scrap pile but if you want it you can have it. Picture is what I have

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Thanks, but I think thats a 1 inch bar which I'm trying to avoid. Think it would be way too stiff for just a "cruising truck". Looking for a 5/8 or 3/4 inch bar.
I also need the hardware/axle mount which I believe on tha Ranger is an add on part, while on the Explorer it looks like it's welded on.
May have to go with an E-Bay wrecking yard part...dozens of them for under 100 bucks with free shipping. Do not want to spend big bucks for an aftermarket bar.

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Let me look under this 03 I have and see what I have.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As long as the vehicle is moving straight ahead, a sway bar does not make it stiffer. It only stiffens in corners. Straight ahead, the bar rotates in the bushings on the axle. I have Hellwigs on mine, front and rear. They are larger than the one pictured. But I like to toss mine around curvy roads, so they are worth having.

Attachments

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
As long as the vehicle is moving straight ahead, a sway bar does not make it stiffer. It only stiffens in corners. Straight ahead, the bar rotates in the bushings on the axle. I have Hellwigs on mine, front and rear. They are larger than the one pictured. But I like to toss mine around curvy roads, so they are worth having.
Is that an explorer axle with a bracket to flip the springs?

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Know that. Have many back roads that we travel on in Va, Shenandoah Valley area, and many are the twist n curves. Want a smaller diameter bar as I run the truck with an almost empty bed, and I feel the larger 1 inch bar would be way to stiff for my needs.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
A sway bar will make uneven surfaces side to side felt more. Things like pot holes are felt more so sway bars can make it stiffer when moving in a straight line. Without a sway bar the tire can drop into a pot hole and come back up easier with minimal effect the other side of the vehicle. With a sway bar, it transfers that downward and upward motion to the other side of the vehicle and makes both sides of the vehicle try to move down and up. Larger (more ridged) sway bars make it felt more.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is that an explorer axle with a bracket to flip the springs?
No it's the stock 7.5 axle my 98 came with. I thought all Fords had the axle under the springs, rather than atop it. The things on the side under the spring are Lakewood traction bars.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A sway bar will make uneven surfaces side to side felt more. Things like pot holes are felt more so sway bars can make it stiffer when moving in a straight line. Without a sway bar the tire can drop into a pot hole and come back up easier with minimal effect the other side of the vehicle. With a sway bar, it transfers that downward and upward motion to the other side of the vehicle and makes both sides of the vehicle try to move down and up. Larger (more ridged) sway bars make it felt more.
I don't like vehicles without front and back sway bars. Especially in the heavy wind area I live. No sway bars, the vehicle leans hard in side winds. My Ranger rides like a buck board anyways, due to the Lakewood traction bars clamped to the springs. I've long since been used to it.

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Explorers are spring under, Rangers are not. Someone did a custom rear suspension on that thing, with the 'traction bars' or whatever those things are. Traction bars are probably a total waste with anything approaching a stock engine. v8 muscle car, sure, but in a stock ranger, forget it. Might be contributing to the rough ride.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
If I didnt need it for my trailer, id give you mine, its a 3/4 hellwig bar I got through summit, had it on my ‘93 when the stock one broke. My current’94 only came with a front bar which I removed. Every day I cross a set of rr tracks that are at a 45 degree angle, with the anti-sway bar it causes the truck to rock back & forth. Really annoying. Took the bar off and the front suspension can (really) be independent, a lot better and less jarring.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't lie vehicles without front and back sway bars. Especially in the heavy wind area I live. No sway bars, the vehicle leans hard in side winds. My Ranger rides like a buck board anyways, due to the Lakewood traction bars clamped to the springs. I've long since been used to it.
I prefer a sway bar in the front too. I have sway bar disconnects for the front on my Ranger for when I am off-road. It has better articulation that way and takes washboard better. Once I get back on pavement, I immediately connect the sway bar because it leans to much in corners at speed with them disconnected. I find that uncomfortable.

There times when I like a rear sway bar too, but so far not on my Ranger. I have a rear sway bar on my race car that is adjustable and some times disconnected depending on the track I am running. When it is raining, I disconnect front and rear sway bars.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 5.0 90 doesn't have any sway bars I should put some on but im probably gonna wait for the new frame and whatever I might do to it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Explorers are spring under, Rangers are not. Someone did a custom rear suspension on that thing, with the 'traction bars' or whatever those things are. Traction bars are probably a total waste with anything approaching a stock engine. v8 muscle car, sure, but in a stock ranger, forget it. Might be contributing to the rough ride.
I put the traction bars on it because it had nasty wheel hop after I eliminated the muffler and put on the CAI. It doesn't anymore. Other than that, the axle is under the springs, same as my Lightning. I have no idea what you are looking at, but in that pic, the axle is under the spring. It's a 98 SPORT model.

Look at it again, axle under spring. Same as my Lightning.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals