• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

swapping engines.. Questions??

stumpcatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi
I have the Haynes manual for my Rangers, it tells just about everything, but it dont tell me about swamping engines.

I have 86 RANGER PU fuel injected 2.9L automatic transmission 4X4, it has blown tranny and good engine.
And I have 86 RANGER 2-door SuperCab fuel injected 2.9L manual transmission 4X4, it has blow engine.

I want to take the engine out of the RANGER PU and put it in the RANGER SuperCab.

I am not familiar with doing an engine swap like this.
Could you give me a basic step by step walk thru of how to do this swap, and maybe include some basic do's & don'ts??

thanks

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have done lots of engine swaps. The motors are the same. The transmission is the same, all just bolts into place. If you never done this before you need to get some help. Either a knowledgeable friend or a shop. You can do a search on this site or use Google to look up engine swap or get a good Ranger manual and rear it. It is a very easy thing to do with the right tools.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you have a camera take lots of pics or draw pictures. Keep things separated and label them. Masking tape and a ink pen or Sharpie works great for marking wires and hoses. Like straycat said....getting help is best if you are unsure.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Take the engines out and with them side by side take off the torque conv. and flex plate. Replace the rear main seal. Put the flywheel on . I would use a new clutch and stuff. Dont forget about the pilot bearing. Use a new slave cylinder. Take everything apart as though you were going to use it again. I would go over the engine fixing stuff and cleaning it . I would spent some time in the empty engine bay to spruce things up. I have done it several times . I tagged every wire I took off . But then I learned a trick. Car makers are so freaken cheap, that you are lucky if the wires are long enough reach where they belong, If there is any slack, it is prollly not the right place. :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Honestly, easiest way to do this, wiring wise, is to pull the PCM connector out of the firewall, unhook the 8 or so connectors to the dash wiring on the driver's side, the oxygen sensor, and pull it all out as one big mess.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Honestly, easiest way to do this, wiring wise, is to pull the PCM connector out of the firewall, unhook the 8 or so connectors to the dash wiring on the driver's side, the oxygen sensor, and pull it all out as one big mess.
^^ this

stumpcatcher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Take the engines out and with them side by side take off the torque conv. and flex plate. Replace the rear main seal. Put the flywheel on . I would use a new clutch and stuff. Dont forget about the pilot bearing. Use a new slave cylinder. Take everything apart as though you were going to use it again. I would go over the engine fixing stuff and cleaning it . I would spent some time in the empty engine bay to spruce things up. I have done it several times . I tagged every wire I took off . But then I learned a trick. Car makers are so freaken cheap, that you are lucky if the wires are long enough reach where they belong, If there is any slack, it is prollly not the right place. :D
Ya ok.
So do I put clutch, pressure plate, bell housing and stuff on the engine while the engine is out, then attach to transmission when Im putting engine in or what??
Or only have the fly wheel on the engine, and clutch, pressure plate, bell housing and stuff on the transmission when I go to put engine in??

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The flywheel bolts to the engine. The pressure plate bolts to the flywheel. The clutch gets sandwiched between them. The bell housing bolts to the transmission from the inside and the engine from the outside. All that means that none of your proposed setups for install would work.

You need to have the flywheel and pressure plate bolted to the engine. The slave and bell need to be on the trans. I prefer to have the transmission in 4th gear when I am installing it so that I can spin it easily over to get the input splines and clutch plate splines lined up if needed.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a camera take lots of pics or draw pictures. Keep things separated and label them. Masking tape and a ink pen or Sharpie works great for marking wires and hoses. Like straycat said....getting help is best if you are unsure.
LABEL EVERYTHING!

My buddy tried to do an engine swap in his old ranger a few years ago. He didn't label a damn thing, and then when It came time to hook everything back up, we couldn't get it to start.

So yes. Label everything! Make sure your tape is long enough to wrap around whatever you are labeling, and stick to itself because tape doesn't stick very well to greasy/dirty wire looms.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
It is good to ask these questions. As was suggested if you should get some help. This operation was a lot easier when I started doing them 40 yrs ago. Every engine swap presents its own issues. To the OP, study up on the basics. I bet the interweb is loaded with lots of video on the subject. Good luck.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
LABEL EVERYTHING!
This is also good advice. I just unplugged my engine from the truck last night for the swap I am doing this weekend and had to laugh at myself a bit. I found, on some of the screwier connectors, where I had written right on the connectors exactly what they were for the last time I had the engine out.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Here is more or less what it should look like when you finish pulling it out.

I already took the clutch and flywheel off, and you probably have factory manifolds, not headers, but the rest should look just like that.

GentleRF

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Stump catcher, I cannot improve on what others have said but I wouldbe willing to help if you were local to me.

Rick in East Bremerton

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals