• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Swapping a '95-'97 into an '88

TheAbstracted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi all

So I have an '88 with the 2.3, and I've been restoring it over the past couple of years. I had the engine in it completely rebuilt, only to have it chew itself apart within very short order. I don't think it's worth it to have the block machined and rebuilt for a second time, so I'm looking to swap it for another 2.3 that has been rebuilt already. Trouble is, I can't find one from this era ANYWHERE. However, I have come across a 2.3 that's listed as being for a '95-'97 Ranger. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it, but I have some questions. I know that it's the same block as the one in my '88, so it should bolt in and bolt up to the 5 spd I have in it without issue. And I know they switched to a two-plug per cylinder design and ditched the distributor. Is the coil pack easy to wire up? I'm sure I'll need a new ECU and wiring harness, wish me luck on all of that. Mostly I just wanted to know if the accessories I have on my '88 will work with this newer engine, such as alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor, etc. Intake manifold? Belts? Any help and info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
It is NOT the same block as your '88 unless you swapped a 95-97 in before. I have a '98 2.5 (which is the same block as 95-97 2.3) swapped in to my '93. It was a pain and the upgrade was not worth the effort. You would not be getting any benefit. Personally, I would recommend that you keep looking for a '94 or older engine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, not the same block, but same engine model, SOHC Lima
No distributor hole after 1992

1995-1997 2.3l can only be used with 1995 to 1997 Computer(ECU) and its full wiring harness

1989 to 1997 also use 1 serpintine belt instead of 1 or 2 V-belts for accessories so those won't work either

TheAbstracted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Really, they aren’t the same block? Wow, nowhere in the hours of research I’ve done on this mentioned that… then again, I didn’t find the answers to the questions I posed in my OP either. This certainly complicated things…

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's why its good to ask the questions you did

Check at Mustang forums, they used the same 2.3l SOHC Lima engines, but a lot longer than Rangers did

This engine is also known as "the Pinto" engine, because it was first used in 1974 Ford Pinto
Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine

Scroll down to the 2.3l section to see the vehicles and years it was used in, Mustangs used this engine for quite a few years
There were, of course, changes over the years which the people in the Mustang Forums would know better than Ranger forums

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Really, they aren’t the same block? Wow, nowhere in the hours of research I’ve done on this mentioned that… then again, I didn’t find the answers to the questions I posed in my OP either. This certainly complicated things…
That is exactly what happened to me. Everything on the internet seemed to indicate that the blocks were pretty much the same until I bought the 2.5 to replace the 2.3. Then all of a sudden there were threads all over about how different they are.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had the same issue 7 years ago when the engine in my truck lost oil pressure. I could not find a remanufactured 2.3 for an '88 ANYWHERE... and didn't want to gamble on a junkyard engine. I just bit the bullet and had it rebuilt by a local machine shop. What happened to yours that you're not confident that it can be fixed?

The problem with your engine, and mine, is that it has a lot more in common with older trucks as a complete assembly. 89-92 short block would work, but the 89+ heads will not be a bolt in deal.

So... you could buy a short block... or do a bunch of wiring to make a newer engine work... or have yours gone through again. I don't know. It's a tough choice, I hated dropping $1500 at the machine shop but it's been more or less trouble free since then.

TheAbstracted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I had the same issue 7 years ago when the engine in my truck lost oil pressure. I could not find a remanufactured 2.3 for an '88 ANYWHERE... and didn't want to gamble on a junkyard engine. I just bit the bullet and had it rebuilt by a local machine shop. What happened to yours that you're not confident that it can be fixed?

The problem with your engine, and mine, is that it has a lot more in common with older trucks as a complete assembly. 89-92 short block would work, but the 89+ heads will not be a bolt in deal.

So... you could buy a short block... or do a bunch of wiring to make a newer engine work... or have yours gone through again. I don't know. It's a tough choice, I hated dropping $1500 at the machine shop but it's been more or less trouble free since then.
Oh, I'm fairly certain it could be. I just know that the guy who did the last rebuild clearly did not fix whatever issue caused the need for the rebuild in the first place, and honestly I'm not confident enough in my wrenching skills to do a rebuild myself. The last guy charged me $3500 to rebuild it, and by the content of your reply I'm guessing I got really screwed on more than just the rebuild itself. I don't know... I've basically rebuilt this truck from the ground up, sinking a cool $10k into it and the chunks of metal I found in the oil when I changed it have very much made me hesitant about spending even more money on this thing. It was two broken piston rings that were the problem last time, now it's acting like the head has cracked, not to mention a very loud pinging sound it has made since day 1. I guess I'm just really frustrated that I've spent this much money and time (two years) trying to get this thing back on the road and now I've had all this trouble. Oh, did I mention the rebuilt transmission also badly leaks and whines like a spoiled brat? I just wanted to chuck a new engine in here and deal with everything else later, but now it's looking like that's not even a real option. I love this thing to death but I'm about ready to just cut my losses and buy something else with the money I still have to dump into it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals