• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sudden RPM Drop Confusion.

JDFeniello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone,

This is one of my first posts, but i've been lurking for a while.

Just got a 94 4x4 4.0L V6 Manual with 225k.
engine runs strong, however, There is a moderate leak in the passenger side valve cover.

While coming out of a stop into 1st gear today, the engine suddenly lost significant power, and hitting the accelerator didnt raise the RMPs nearly as much as it should have(Maybe a miss fire?). i had to drive for a little while, and by the time i got to a suitable place to stop, the engine was smoking from the area around the leaking valve cover.

I pulled over and shut the engine down. A short while later, i started it up to move it further out of the way of the road, and the problem was gone. Hasn't returned all day.

There was a loose vacuum hose to the air filter which I put back on, other than that, nothing changed. I don't imagine one loose vacuum hose would be the culprit, but maybe it was?

Could it be a fouled Spark Plug from the oil leak? or loss of pressure due to the leak?

If anybody has any suggestions or info, i would appreciate it. This has me very puzzled because it was a one time thing, and i cant diagnose the problem if its not doing what it did.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals