• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Struts on a Mustang

Brandon Nootenboom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering if anyone's done struts on a 94-04 Mustang or would know about them. My friend that now has my 96 Mustang needs to replace the struts (due to my insane driving :3gears:) and says that he can't do it cause there is some special tools... I haven't done much research yet but I doubt there really are any and that I should be able to do them. Any ideas?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you get loaded ones so that you don't have to mess with the springs the only "special tool" you need is a brain. Kinda sounds like he doesn't have one. Wouldn't surprise me much, those are kinda like a good wrench set or a manual transmission these days, few people have them and most who don't aren't interested in getting one.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you get loaded ones so that you don't have to mess with the springs the only "special tool" you need is a brain. Kinda sounds like he doesn't have one. Wouldn't surprise me much, those are kinda like a good wrench set or a manual transmission these days, few people have them and most who don't aren't interested in getting one.
Loaded with what???? :thefinger:

The 'stang uses a modified MacPherson strut suspension. The springs and struts arent one unit.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Loaded with what???? :thefinger:

The 'stang uses a modified MacPherson strut suspension. The springs and struts arent one unit.
And at 6:30 am I'm gonna be thinking about the specifics of a car that I rarely even see, let alone work on? (Hint: No, I'm surprised I can work a keyboard that early.:icon_rofl:)

I saw "strut" and went with the normal configuration of what a 'strut' is.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
And at 6:30 am I'm gonna be thinking about the specifics of a car that I rarely even see, let alone work on? (Hint: No, I'm surprised I can work a keyboard that early.:icon_rofl:)

I saw "strut" and went with the normal configuration of what a 'strut' is.
I did notice the time, thats why I went easy on you.

Brandon Nootenboom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hahaha sounds like you knowhim :icon_rofl: Ok sounds good, and I did Google it, just wanted to see what y'all thought cause I'd gotten mixed reviews. I'll let him know, thanks!

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
There are struts and there are quick struts. The strut you buy at a parts store is the main body minus the mounts, springs insulators etc.... A quick strut is the strut assembly. All components that go with a strut install is together. It's more expensive but the only proper way to go. The best part is you just need normal tools and jack stands.

Don't forget to have the car aligned once your finished!!!

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The strut is seperate from the spring. It is pretty straight forward. On the front just support the car on jack stands. Take off the wheel. Remove the abs senor so it's out of the way. Place a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up just a little. Then remove the 2 bolts at the bottom of the strut. Slowly lower the jack just a little until you have clearance to remove the strut. Remember that the coil spring is going to try and get out. Now go to the top and remove the 2 or 3 nuts that hold the top of the strut. Be careful the strut will fall. All nuts and bolts that hold the strut should be replaced. Just reverse this process and you should be good to go.

The rear is easier it is just remove the nut on the shock fom inside the trunk. Then go to the bottom and remove the shock it is pretty much like and other cars. Just remember that the rear uses a coil spring like the front.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals